Brewing beer in Thailand

miksak

Hello,

I was thinking of brewing beer in Thailand 

Not to sell just for my own consumption not a big set up 

I have done it at home before i came to Thailand and want to get back into it

I can by the home brew kits when i go back home and just bring them back with me

Is there any issues brewing beer here?

Thanks in advance

I don't know about beer but I had a go with wine when I first came to live here and that didn't work out very well. I was living in my father in laws house at the time and there was no air conditioning so it was a problem trying to keep it cool.

Nothing wrong with having a go if you have the expertise to recognise the problems. Economically I cannot see it being viable but if you can get it right, probably the best beer in Thailand, if you brew ale that is.

Good luck and keep us posted.

It has always been illegal to make any alcohol without a license.  I have never seen beer brewing kits sold here so I assume the law applies to beer and wine.  Yes, of course if you just make it in your house in small quantities no one will know, but someone might grass you up. 

Beer brewing is indeed illegal. ‎฿200 fine if for your own (and the policeman's) consumption. Beer kits can be had, not illegal (PM me). The main difficulty is keeping the fermentation temperature down at around 23°C, you need to find an old fridge and a thermostat. The maximum penalties for brewing or fermenting alcohol - wine or beer, for example - are lower (than distilling spirits) : 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it.'