Speed traps between Udon and Nong Khai - further warning

amdy2206

This topic has been mentioned before but this is a reminder. The police are being VERY hot on the stretch of road between Udon and Nong Khai on both sides of the road. They have lists of car numbers which have been speeding (over 80 kmph) relayed to them from cameras further up the road. Just be wary and cautious or it will cost you 1000B.

Most of the time they do not even use a camera. They just pull you over if you are Farang.

Do what I did at expressway to Don Muang airport. I use 3 times per week. After getting one ticket the next time I drove this

road ; I video my speedometer reading with my phone. 12 minutes driving at 80 km/hour.

When I get stopped, now, I just show video. Police get embarrassed after 3-4 seconds of watching and wave me on. 

It has worked  3 times this year.

1 hour ago, abhaya said:

How about just driving within the legal limit?

Cruise control and staying in the left lane should stop anyone getting a ticket, that is, unless the officer wants to make up some excuse, like; falang don't know how to drive in Thailand and says; you changed lane with no blinker, you pay 400 baht :)

Edited by 4MyEgo

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Cruise control and staying in the left lane should stop anyone getting a ticket, that is, unless the officer wants to make up some excuse, like; falang don't know how to drive in Thailand and says; you changed lane with no blinker, you pay 400 baht :)

Silly me and i thought the rule was not to use the indicators so that you do not confuse other drivers who do not know what indicators are for

47 minutes ago, hdkane said:

To me, this is actually good news...I would love to see the police enforce driving violations, rather than the passive policing of paperwork.

They could as well try breath testing everyone at the same time ?

43 minutes ago, yardrunner said:

Silly me and i thought the rule was not to use the indicators so that you do not confuse other drivers who do not know what indicators are for

One thing they rarely use indicators for here is to indicate they will be moving to the left lane! much preferring to stay in the right lane! not sure what they think the left lane usage is for!! :(

5 hours ago, bark said:

Most of the time they do not even use a camera. They just pull you over if you are Farang.

Do what I did at expressway to Don Muang airport. I use 3 times per week. After getting one ticket the next time I drove this

road ; I video my speedometer reading with my phone. 12 minutes driving at 80 km/hour.

When I get stopped, now, I just show video. Police get embarrassed after 3-4 seconds of watching and wave me on. 

It has worked  3 times this year.

I'm surprised that they didn't book you instead for using a mobile phone whilst in control of a motor vehicle........

4 hours ago, CGW said:

One thing they rarely use indicators for here is to indicate they will be moving to the left lane! much preferring to stay in the right lane! not sure what they think the left lane usage is for!! :(

Left lane is for overtaking, especially by motorbikes.....lol

2 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

Raise the fine to B 5000!!  Drive the

speed limit, no problems.   Less deaths

and of course, less accidents.

That is the best suggestion I have heard yet, but do you think they would do that over pocketing the cash, you see most times, if you flick them 200 baht, they will salute you and wave you off, corruption is ripe and until it goes, nothing will change.

Where did the fine have to be paid , how was it received ?

I drive this section of road fairly often and usually above the speed limit when conditions allow and have not received a fine yet ( that i'am aware of !)

On 8/22/2016 at 0:58 PM, little mary sunshine said:

Raise the fine to B 5000!!  Drive the

speed limit, no problems.   Less deaths

and of course, less accidents.

Will this really make any difference? Yet again the Police go for "easy money" just how many accidents in Thailand happen due to speeding? (off course there are some, but percentage wise?)

How many accidents involve motorcycles, junky modified vehicles and people that have had no training and in reality shouldn't be in charge of a donkey never mind a vehicle!

The police could stop some of the kids coming and going to school 3 up with no crash helmets! (Crash helmets! not pieces of plastic that are supposed to be crash helmets yet in reality provide next to zero protection!)

Seems to me there are a lot of areas where, if they wanted to make a difference they could, why don't they? :rolleyes: