Forgotten Sukhothai

Kwasaki

Although Sukhothai province is identified as being in Central Thailand it's not listed here which l find strange because as is said :- 

At its heart, the Sukhothai Historical Park contains the partially restored 13th and 14th century palaces and temples of the Kingdom of Siam’s first capital.

Where Siam ( Thailand ) began and keeping it secret. :D

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least everyone has heard of the Suk historical park can be seen by the amounts of tourists you get.

Last time 'a few years ago' I was there it was thriving with the buggers.

The place that seems really forgotten is Kamphaeng Phet like you we also have a very large historical park and it's Never visited. That's if you call never 1 or 2 punters a week. Not joking.

I do thank Buddha for that, last thing I want is to be mobbed with coach loads of Tourists.

We could end up with I Heart K.P.Phet tee shirts flooding the place. Mustn't forget the increase in Prices.

Note, tourists please don't come to K.P.Phet it's a terrible place to visit.

Go to Suk you'll be made very welcome, K/S will make sure of that, he seems to need the punters. Not thinking of opening a tee shirt shop perchance???

Edited by fredob43
Changed shit to shirt. Must learn to spell.

My main point was going on TV Central forum and it's not mentioned in the list of provinces.

Still get coaches everyday coming and going,  mostly Thai people and school kids as it is a important place in history for them.

Farangies on tour coaches getting a quick 30 mins bicycle tour and off. :D

Some stay a night or a few nights on fixed tour deals some finding it strange most everything is shut at 10pm.

The village has pretty much been ruined IMO, there's more restaurants and guest houses, resorts and hotels than there is people.

Many Thai people are struggling and scratching living because of as l see it over populated. 

K.P.Phet is also left out but I poke my nose in anyway. As far as I'm concerned K.P.P Suk Tak is Central Thailand. Where else would they be the NORTH for Buddha sake??? C/M is 348km from here, BKK is 350km how central do you want to be. Oh maybe it's the 2km that makes the difference. TV let me know please. 

We as far as I know get no bugger coming. As far a school trips we don't get any of the locals ones visiting the Temples here and none of our schools visit Suk.

They do go to BKK though my daughter has just come back from some such trip went Friday night arrived back 10pm Sat: night. Something to do with star watching I have been informed, how can you watch stars in BKK? well you tell me.

Mostly l say l'm North not central because looking at map of Thailand as a whole with the long southern skinny bit Suk is boarding the North as l see it.

Reminds me of when we traveled all over Thailand we were heading far south l started noticing all these mosque signs and we nearing Songkhla and Hat Yai the Mrs woke up saw the signs and said stop turn back dangerous :w00t: we ended up in Trang. :D

1 hour ago, OOLEEBER said:

I'm between Sukhothai and K.P.P. I used to think we were pretty central when you look at a map but I think this is regarded as northern. It definitely is by the Thailand Meteorological Department. 
http://www.tmd.go.th/en/region.php?RegionID=1

Yeah the map shows P/lock which goes north quite a bit.

I look at local one :- http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province.php?id=10

Well looks like we are in no mans land. Maybe time to open a new section on TV could call it almost but not quite.

I don't include anything south of BKK as being Thailand although on paper it is.

Like you KS my wife wont go anywhere near the deep south, even places like Phuket, Ko Samui are a big no no. Did get her to Cha Am once had friends on holiday there, she said her words, enjoy but not go again. 

I have found you courtesy of Wiki, you are part of Northern Thailand, sub heading, Lower Northern Thailand.

Maybe an admin can set up a section for you so you don't get lost again.

No reported gripes from Tak, Nan or Lampang, presume they like oblivion.

489px-Northern-thailand-regions.png

22 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

There is a Big Mosque in Nakers on top of the hill, and one in Phitsanulok by the railway so no need to go South to be blown up or woken early and deafened. Just give it time.

IMG_2350.JPG

It will probably too late for the UK by then,  glad l live in a Thai Buddhist village l would guess according to locals there will be no mosque built near here,  they didn't like the Islamic bank opening in New Sukhothai city. 

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, cliff1942 said:

I'm a new member and this is my first post.  I live very near the Historical park with my wifes family and I'm definitely missing a little farang conversation and I also like to play card games or practically anything.  Help.

Short drive to Phitsanulok,lots of ex-pats.

I have heard Petchaboon and P-lok called Isaan, though I think of them, along with Sukhothai as being Central Thailand... maybe North Central Thailand... 

I guess if you had to divide them out, you might use language, is the 2nd language more Isaan Thai or Northern? 

The historical park is still lovely, but sure, it is going to attract tourists... and there seem to be the few backpacker guesthouses and muesli style restaurants nearby, other than that, it all looked pretty average style Thai city to me... 

On October 9, 2559 BE at 4:08 PM, cliff1942 said:

I'm a new member and this is my first post.  I live very near the Historical park with my wifes family and I'm definitely missing a little farang conversation and I also like to play card games or practically anything.  Help.

Cliff - if you are near the Historical Park, there will surely be plenty and a constant flux of tourists staying in the guesthouses and eating in the restaurants nearby... you might need to be a little out going in engaging them in conversation as these days everyone seems to have their nose buried in their "device" - - and the majority will be young backpackers... 

Enjoy, it is a nice area there... 

Hard to bury your nose in a device when your pedaling around the old city.

Opal and I must have been the minority when visiting, although the young backpacker majority didn't seem to be evident either.

A lovely place and so calming and tranquil and seemed genuinely friendly.

Enjoyed a nice meal at http://www.sukhothaikitchen.com/restaurant/ (muesli indeed !), staff tried to grossly undercharge me.

Without realizing it, they gave me the cost of the meal back as change and retained the change amount.

I rectified it with waitress and cashier and the gratitude expressed moved me, presumably the staff would have been made to make up the till shortage.

Will definitely spend some time there again in the future.

40 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I have heard Petchaboon and P-lok called Isaan, though I think of them, along with Sukhothai as being Central Thailand... maybe North Central Thailand... 

I guess if you had to divide them out, you might use language, is the 2nd language more Isaan Thai or Northern? 

The historical park is still lovely, but sure, it is going to attract tourists... and there seem to be the few backpacker guesthouses and muesli style restaurants nearby, other than that, it all looked pretty average style Thai city to me... 

I believe from what I've read in Thai history your find Phetchabun & Phitsanulok is classed as central Thailand and not part of Isaan but I stand to be corrected. :drunk: 

Sukhothai should be down as Northern IMO and indigenous Sukhothai Thais speak what l would say is a northern Thai dialect not the Isaan dialect,  Thais who pronounce the ' R ' in words are from south. :biggrin:

Some older generations in Old City village ( Muang Kao ) where l live,  speak an old kind of Thai which is like a Thai slang. :blink:

The Historical Park is the main Old City mainly visited by Thais because it is a very special place to them it is where Siam began well before the country being called Thailand, personally l prefer Siam pronounced as See-Yam. 

Don't get many backer packers in Muang Kao they mainly stay in New Sukhothai where GH's are cheaper, there's an excessive amount of places to stay in Old City village now.

As for a few restaurants in Old City village there use to be now the place is over run with em. 

I can rabble on more l luv the place most of the time.

15 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I believe from what I've read in Thai history your find Phetchabun & Phitsanulok is classed as central Thailand and not part of Isaan but I stand to be corrected. :drunk: 

Sukhothai should be down as Northern IMO and indigenous Sukhothai Thais speak what l would say is a northern Thai dialect not the Isaan dialect,  Thais who pronounce the ' R ' in words are from south. :biggrin:

Some older generations in Old City village ( Muang Kao ) where l live,  speak an old kind of Thai which is like a Thai slang. :blink:

The Historical Park is the main Old City mainly visited by Thais because it is a very special place to them it is where Siam began well before the country being called Thailand, personally l prefer Siam pronounced as See-Yam. 

Don't get many backer packers in Muang Kao they mainly stay in New Sukhothai where GH's are cheaper, there's an excessive amount of places to stay in Old City village now.

As for a few restaurants in Old City village there use to be now the place is over run with em. 

I can rabble on more l luv the place most of the time.

I should head over there and check out some of the new restaurants - - any of them any good or is it more of the same backpacker type muesli restaurants, which I do find decent too... though never seen much upscale there... where is this Fireblade? Do they have food too? 

50 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I should head over there and check out some of the new restaurants - - any of them any good or is it more of the same backpacker type muesli restaurants, which I do find decent too... though never seen much upscale there... where is this Fireblade? Do they have food too? 

Refer post ID 21

Sukhothai Kitchen (linked)

Edited by Paul Catton
Spelling error

3 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I wouldn't know what you would say is good, there's loads of cafe' type restaurants by the road and snack places heading into the village coming from New Sukhothai, mainly just the same as you refer too, many different types in the village and a few new ones now can be found with air-con,  the village market place has some cafe' types too.

The Sukhothai kitchen is OK in Baan Na and just one of many places near Muang Kao village.

There's also a few places on perimeter road around the village on the east side.

Just outside the park by the southern gate there's shops & cafe' restaurants about 40 all in a line, my Mrs has 2 and it's deserted most of the time.

I use mainly only one restaurant in the village l call pub 7 and mainly only drink there but eat there occasionally.

:laugh:  :biggrin:  The Fireblade pub is my man cave farmhouse on our bit of farmland outside the village l was just joking with @kelboy

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 3:27 PM, Kwasaki said:

My main point was going on TV Central forum and it's not mentioned in the list of provinces.

Still get coaches everyday coming and going,  mostly Thai people and school kids as it is a important place in history for them.

Farangies on tour coaches getting a quick 30 mins bicycle tour and off. :D

Some stay a night or a few nights on fixed tour deals some finding it strange most everything is shut at 10pm.

The village has pretty much been ruined IMO, there's more restaurants and guest houses, resorts and hotels than there is people.

Many Thai people are struggling and scratching living because of as l see it over populated. 

I have just this minute sent a proposal to management to create a new sub forum within the Thailand Local Forums.

I have proposed the 9 provinces listed below ( none of which appear to be attached any where else ) be included in the new forum. The new forum could be called Upper Central Forum or my choice would be

Lower North Forum.

Tak

Sukhothai

Uttaradit

Phitsanulok

Phichit

Phetchabun

Nakhon Sawan

Kamphaeng-Phet

Uthai Thani

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 0:04 PM, fredob43 said:

Well looks like we are in no mans land. Maybe time to open a new section on TV could call it almost but not quite.

I don't include anything south of BKK as being Thailand although on paper it is.

Like you KS my wife wont go anywhere near the deep south, even places like Phuket, Ko Samui are a big no no. Did get her to Cha Am once had friends on holiday there, she said her words, enjoy but not go again. 

It's underway as of today with a message suggesting a new sub forum be opened. See post above this one.

1 hour ago, Ron19 said:

It's underway as of today with a message suggesting a new sub forum be opened. See post above this one.

Thanks for the update.

Would prefer upper central forum.

The "lower" north forum would be somewhat detrimental to our high/upper class status.

Just a thought how about Upper class central Forum.

Edited by fredob43

4 hours ago, Ron19 said:

I have just this minute sent a proposal to management to create a new sub forum within the Thailand Local Forums.

I have proposed the 9 provinces listed below ( none of which appear to be attached any where else ) be included in the new forum. The new forum could be called Upper Central Forum or my choice would be

Lower North Forum.

Tak

Sukhothai

Uttaradit

Phitsanulok

Phichit

Phetchabun

Nakhon Sawan

Kamphaeng-Phet

Uthai Thani

That's cool many farangie tourists come Old City and not even know what's it all about. :thumbsup: