Dangers of Cycling in Thailand

Thunderbirds20

I live in Jomtien Beach and use a bicycle to get around during daylight hours. This morning I was nearing my condo complex and needed to change from curbside to the right hand lane to make a right turn. I checked my mirror, saw it was clear and signaled my intention to change lanes. I was about to cross the line in to the right lane, when a car roared passed me, missing me by centimeters. He could easily have gone behind me but chose to cut in front of me. Why do Thai drivers seem to ignore cyclists? It is like we are not there. They nose out of a side street, see me coming then nose out further, cutting me off and forcing me to stop while they wait for a a chance to pull out. Several times, people whiz by within inches of me when there is lots of room to spare. Every vehicle does this, trucks, buses, cars, motorbikes, ..... every time I go out I have 3 or 4 instances like these, but today was especially scary as this guy was doing way over 100 kms an hour and almost knocked me off my bike by the blowback.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Familyonthemove said:

Thai Highway Code.  Size sets priority.   Cars give way to buses.  Small cars give way to big cars.  Motorcycle give way to cars.  Bicycles give way to everything. 

you forgot the word "unofficial" in the "Thai highway code"

Stupidity rules, how about two same sized vehicles?

• Like 1

Not rely on your mirror , look over your shoulder.

Not wear a helmet , cars will make a wider loop around you when they see you are not protected.

8 years on a bike here and never had any problem.

You can find more info on the web :

How helmets HELP
  • Absorb some of the impact of collisions
  • Protect against scrapes and scratches
How helmets HURT
  • Drivers pass more closely, since helmeted cyclists seem less vulnerable
  • Head size is increased, making potential impacts with pavement more likely
  • Cyclists are encouraged to take more risks, since they feel protected

1 hour ago, bitcoinforever said:

DO not ride bicycles on the roads of Thailand just because nothing has happened your chances increase. extremely dangerous. professional cyclist got hit riding the rode to Pai SUV sideswiped him never stopped very common, broke his hip was left on the road for hours everyone afraid to pick him up because they did not want to be blamed, 8 months to regain mobility. The roads are dangerous to begin with for cars and motorcycles and you want to go out there with a bicycle how insane is that.  good luck i would not risk my life on a bicycle in thailand, other things better to risk it on,

Please could you supply a link that substantiates   your assertion that the risk increase because you have not had an accident yet?