Leaving after a decade.

DennisF

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Another cliche used on this forum is those who go back are quitters, slinking away with their tails between their legs.  "Failed expats".  Narrow minded, untraveled, unworldly dunces who moved here without realistic due diligence and now they can't hack it.

That may be the case for some but certainly not all.  I don't get that impression from you.

In any case, it's better than staying here if not content, unhappy or downright miserable.  Regardless if the misery is real, imagined, self-inflicted or a mixture of all 3. 

The better man can admit he's made a mistake, or has simply changed his mind, then make a plan, execute, and get on with it.  It would be a failure of character to remain, frozen by depression, fear, laziness. 

I do feel for those who feel, or actually are, stuck here by their financial situation.   Enough to live out a spartan but fairly comfortable life here, but not enough capital to start over 'back home' - housing costs often being the biggest obstacle.

Good luck to you in the new chapter of your life. 

Simply black or white I see my dear Watson, no grey in between ?

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Never been an issue for me, The only addition I filled in one month ago was a single page if I remember correctly, wanting some extra info.

Then you're lucky.

The only question used to be 'how many copies of my passport do they require?'.  Then additional requirements were copies of rental contract/landlord's ID card/personal Thai ATM card.

Then a new 'personal info.' form was required, and now I gather 'photos outside residence are starting to be required.

Edit - How you've missed this if you've been living here for a while is beyond me!

Edited by dick dasterdly

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Then you're lucky.

The only question used to be 'how many copies of my passport do they require?'.  Then additional requirements were copies of rental contract/landlord's ID card/personal Thai ATM card.

Then a new 'personal info.' form was required, and now I gather 'photos outside residence are starting to be required.

I don't rent, this might have something to do with it ?

But from my understanding, it is a one off requirement, but in your case they might need it time and time again because you rent ?

It all doesn't make sense to me, just more trees to chop down and more paper shuffling :) to justify jobs

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't rent, this might have something to do with it ?

But from my understanding, it is a one off requirement, but in your case they might need it time and time again because you rent ?

It all doesn't make sense to me, just more trees to chop down and more paper shuffling :) to justify jobs

No, the new 'requirement' only started a year or so ago - and I've been renting the same house for around 8 years.

And this ignores the new requirements for a personal info. form/copy of ATM card - and, as I mentioned, 'photos outside the residence are starting to be demanded.

The never ending changing/increasing rules are worrying for some of us.

Edited by dick dasterdly

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

No, the new 'requirement' only started a year or so ago - and I've been renting the same house for around 8 years.

And this ignores the new requirements for a personal info. form - and, as I mentioned, 'photos outside the residence are starting to be demanded.

The never ending changing/increasing rules are worrying for some of us.

I hear you, wouldn't worry about it, just keep living, breathing, laughing, enjoying and remember to keep smiling, after all we are in the "land of smiles" :) 

16 hours ago, tropo said:

"Money talks" - what do you mean by that?

You've become confused - probably because you feel that I'm against all things Thai because I'm not married to one.

My original comment was about disagreeing with the comment that Thai food is one of the world's greatest cuisines. We should be able to give an opinion without being attacked by the Thai food fan club (I did expect it though). I would hazard a guess that many foreigners living here eat Thai food to save money as the imported food is too expensive. Would you really prefer phad thai over an imported Wagyu Steak, for example, if money was no objective?

There are quite a few Thai dishes that I do like, but I like other food more if I have the choice... that's the reason I don't eat Thai a lot - because I have a lot of other choices which I prefer. If I was stuck somewhere up country in the boondocks, then I'd eat Thai and not complain. It's not that I think it's bad, just that there is a lot of better choices.

Money talks because people like Thai food in the top 1 to 5 cuisines ranked by popularity surveys on the net.  It is one of the worlds most popular cuisines.   Thai food is one of the worlds great cuisines because it is world class popular.  On a technical basis it is also complicated to cook.  You would know that if your wife was a good Thai cook.  

5 minutes ago, bazza40 said:

Seems to be a lot of posters on this thread getting stressed.

Stress is something you do to yourself; no-one else can do it to you if you refuse them entry.

I disagree and think outside influences can cause stress.

The ever increasing immigration requirements are stressful (to me), because they show the authorities are already becoming more difficult.  Is that likely to be reversed, or increased?

I've no idea.

30 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Simply black or white I see my dear Watson, no grey in between ?

Oh no, plenty of gray,  I was making a comment about those who may see it as black or white.   Now that I re-read my post, I can see how it might give the wrong impression.  

I'm considering flipping the coin myself - live in the US and keep Thailand as a holiday destination, if even that.

20 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Money talks because people like Thai food in the top 1 to 5 cuisines ranked by popularity surveys on the net.  It is one of the worlds most popular cuisines.   Thai food is one of the worlds great cuisines because it is world class popular.  On a technical basis it is also complicated to cook.  You would know that if your wife was a good Thai cook.  

Ok, I get you now. I see Thai cuisine is listed in the top 10 on most lists I checked - how could I argue with that? :D It was #8 on some, another had it at #2. (LOL> one list {CNN} had Filipino cuisine with 4 times the votes of Thai). Saying it's "one of the world's greatest cuisines" is very misleading, because these top 10 lists cover most of the world's well known cuisines. Any cuisines not making these lists tend to be obscure from lessor known countries.

No, I don't "own" a Thai cook, but I have eaten at well renowned Thai restaurants where the cooks should know how to cook Thai food. BTW you seem to make a thing about me not liking Thai women (don't know why you had to bring this up??) because I am not married to one. FYI I was with my Filipino wife years before I ever visited Thailand. I didn't make a choice. If I had been to Thailand before the Philippines you never know - I may have gone the same way as you and had my very own Thai cook.:D In our family I'm the cook.

I'm going to state this one more time and hopefully you will understand. I don't hate Thai food. I just prefer other food if given a choice. That's one of the advantages of living in Thailand - there is a lot of imported food available, so you get to experience the best of both worlds. It's a plus and a positive reason to live here.

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

Ok, I get you now. I see Thai cuisine is listed in the top 10 on most lists I checked - how could I argue with that? :D It was #8 on some, another had it at #2. (LOL> one list {CNN} had Filipino cuisine with 4 times the votes of Thai). Saying it's "one of the world's greatest cuisines" is very misleading, because these top 10 lists cover most of the world's well known cuisines. Any cuisines not making these lists tend to be obscure from lessor known countries.

No, I don't "own" a Thai cook, but I have eaten at well renowned Thai restaurants where the cooks should know how to cook Thai food. BTW you seem to make a thing about me not liking Thai women (don't know why you had to bring this up??) because I am not married to one. FYI I was with my Filipino wife years before I ever visited Thailand. I didn't make a choice. If I had been to Thailand before the Philippines you never know - I may have gone the same way as you and had my very own Thai cook.:D In our family I'm the cook.

I'm going to state this one more time and hopefully you will understand. I don't hate Thai food. I just prefer other food if given a choice. That's one of the advantages of living in Thailand - there is a lot of imported food available, so you get to experience the best of both worlds. It's a plus and a positive reason to live here.

I learned a lot about Thai cooking from my wife and the complexity surprised me.  Personally I think it is kindergarten stuff compared to French cooking but that's not how the world sees it.  If Thais had a culinary clue they would make some kind of spirits; beer or wine or liquor that was worth a darn but they don't.  They also would have conserved their seafood industry and done some decent breeding and processing of animals.  Rice and vegetables are interesting.  I eat Thai food twice a week, Japanese 3 times and Western twice.  

1 hour ago, Scotwight said:

I learned a lot about Thai cooking from my wife and the complexity surprised me.  Personally I think it is kindergarten stuff compared to French cooking but that's not how the world sees it.  If Thais had a culinary clue they would make some kind of spirits; beer or wine or liquor that was worth a darn but they don't.  They also would have conserved their seafood industry and done some decent breeding and processing of animals.  Rice and vegetables are interesting.  I eat Thai food twice a week, Japanese 3 times and Western twice.  

You only eat Thai food twice a week. That's surprising, going on how you're talking it up. I've even Thai food more than twice this week already LOL.

4 hours ago, tropo said:

You only eat Thai food twice a week. That's surprising, going on how you're talking it up. I've even Thai food more than twice this week already LOL.

I didn't think I was talking it up.  There is good and bad Thai food.  I was just trying to be truthful as to the rank and health benefits or lack there of.  French food is not healthy compared to Thai food but I like it better.  Cheese makes you smell in a way most Thais don't like but I still eat it every once in a while.  My doctor tells me every time he sees me.  No fried food.  No fat.  No white rice. More fresh vegetables and he wants me on a Mediterranean diet.  Made with shrimp, coriander, lemongrass, ginger, and other herbs and spices used in Thai cooking, Tom Yung Gung was found to possess properties 100 times more effective than other antioxidants in inhibiting cancerous-tumor growth.

20 hours ago, returnofthailand said:

USA is sooooo much better. Detroit is probably the best town in the USA. very safe and police come in 3 minutes.

in detroit you can have steaks. just amazing. and the traffic, there is none. and in detroit you are not disturbed by neighbor..they left.... even houses in Detroit can cost 1 dollar only. how much you pay in Thailand? 3 millions baths.

yes, the USA is much better. :)

What's not to like?

https://www.rutherford.org/publications_resources/john_whiteheads_commentary/children_of_the_american_police_state_just_another_brick_in_the_wall_short

41 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

I'll hazard one.

If you left long ago, why keep posting here?

Also, why did you use the word 'here' to describe a place you're not in?

oh please, for god sake, put me on your ignore list. If there is one f### ### ####ard, i dont want to talk, its clearly you.

Edited by Bender

2 hours ago, Scotwight said:

I didn't think I was talking it up.  There is good and bad Thai food.  I was just trying to be truthful as to the rank and health benefits or lack there of.  French food is not healthy compared to Thai food but I like it better.  Cheese makes you smell in a way most Thais don't like but I still eat it every once in a while.  My doctor tells me every time he sees me.  No fried food.  No fat.  No white rice. More fresh vegetables and he wants me on a Mediterranean diet.  Made with shrimp, coriander, lemongrass, ginger, and other herbs and spices used in Thai cooking, Tom Yung Gung was found to possess properties 100 times more effective than other antioxidants in inhibiting cancerous-tumor growth.

If that is true, my wife is lucky. Tom Yum Gung is her favourite dish.

4 hours ago, Bender said:

I left also long time ago:lol:

So what is your interest in Thailand , do you post anything nice about the country or do you just want to bash Thailand as much as possible ? 

8 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

I'll hazard one.

If you left long ago, why keep posting here?

Also, why did you use the word 'here' to describe a place you're not in?

I'm not in Thailand. Can I please have your permission to post?

I'm going to fly to another country on Sunday, also not Thailand, do I need to ask your permission to post from there?

Do I need to ask permission from all members to post when I'm not in Thailand?

Is there a rule that says only people in Thailand are allowed to post?

3 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

I never post on this site when I'm out of Thailand, seems a bit sad and pointless. But that's just me.

I seldom post when I'm in Thailand. 

I'm usually far to busy enjoying being in Thailand to waist time posting.

I'm currently in the departure lounge at Dubai imagining the 'sad and pointlessness' of life in Thailand if one can forgoe the pleasures of being there to spend all day telling others what opinions are acceptable.... Or of course that other staple 'moaning about migrants to your own country'.

8 minutes ago, GuestHouse said:

I'm not in Thailand. Can I please have your permission to post?

I'm going to fly to another country on Sunday, also not Thailand, do I need to ask your permission to post from there?

Do I need to ask permission from all members to post when I'm not in Thailand?

Is there a rule that says only people in Thailand are allowed to post?

It's not a rule, but more like common sense.  Why would someone who's not even in Thailand anymore, who claims to hate Thailand and wants nothing more to do with Thailand, yet, continues to post relentlessly on Thai web forums?  Sort of goes to motive and intent...don't you think?

17 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I suspect that Thai cuisine rankings are based on that provided by the top chefs - not that provided in markets/roadside stalls etc. 

So don't you think the other cuisine rankings are based on what's provided by top chefs in those countries? 

3 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

So don't you think the other cuisine rankings are based on what's provided by top chefs in those countries? 

I don't eat at places where top chefs cook ...... so it doesn't matter.

Penang curry and grapow  are good, but that's about it for Thailand.

I know of a guy who just sold everything, including condo, and moved back to Hawaii.

He was sick of 'the Government'

He lasted a month.

Now he 's heading back here, what a huge waste of time and money, family in upheaval, etc.

I myself looked at Cambodia, meaning, I actually went there before selling up.

I lasted a few days! Here is not perfect, but there, it sucks. Big time.

Be very careful about the green green grass over the fence my expat friends!

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

I don't eat at places where top chefs cook ...... so it doesn't matter.

Penang curry and grapow  are good, but that's about it for Thailand.

If you have never eaten any good Thai food (I don't eat at places where top chefs cook) how can you be so bold to say, "Penang curry and grapow  are good, but that's about it for Thailand."