buying a new car

romeijoe

Hi All.  I need to purchase a new car!!! So  although ive been here a number of yrs i have to admit im still pritty ignorant. when it comes to some things that is .

well the the thing is im sitting here wondering to myself  do i just go down to one of the local car yards . we live in ratchaburi ,and be done with it.Or do i go to Bangkok and hope to get a better buy? big city V local market, dont know if the city would prove to be cheaper or not--  anyone got any experience with this.and just to add to my wonder im thinking do i buy new or do i buy second hand .

keep shaking my head on this one lol 

go for new as the second hand are not that much cheaper and with the way most thai driver actually drive the cars are suspect at best. I bought a new car(toyota vios, latest model) and it has been brilliant, earlier models were not real good but this is great, 600,000 baht with the sports pack. Its nice to drive, great fuel consumption, comfortable with enough power to do anything i need it to on the road and compared to many new cars I had in Australia(although they had bigger motors) it is just as good, went for the manual as it is better to use with the smaller engine. Shop around and you will get good prices on them, we did.

Take a look at one2car.com and see for yourself. 

I wouldn't put off with used cars at all. Some really good cars to be had. Might be harder in the asian car maker segment, but if you're going for a european car, its well worth a shot.

Some official importers got their own 2nd hand show room. BMW on Suk 24 is a good start. 

On 8/23/2016 at 2:38 PM, seajae said:

go for new as the second hand are not that much cheaper and with the way most thai driver actually drive the cars are suspect at best. I bought a new car(toyota vios, latest model) and it has been brilliant, earlier models were not real good but this is great, 600,000 baht with the sports pack. Its nice to drive, great fuel consumption, comfortable with enough power to do anything i need it to on the road and compared to many new cars I had in Australia(although they had bigger motors) it is just as good, went for the manual as it is better to use with the smaller engine. Shop around and you will get good prices on them, we did.

I wouldn't put that much confidence in the above statement in 2016.  Maybe in the past this was true for thailand but imho thats the past. 1.5 year old trucks that sold for 1m + can be had for 300k or more discount so take some time and do some research.

As to your original question not going to be a huge difference in bkk .

the subway thing - too many options to choose from.

i went to a dealership and bought the car i wanted. did some 'paeng maak' stuff but in the end it only took a few thousands off.

got the car, the service, the insurance, the plates - i had to worry about nothing.

same choice next time - for me!

i bought a new pick up 3 years ago. first mitsubishi dealer i went to ripped me of for my deposit after not being able to get me the pickup i wanted so if you buy new just put down a small deposit. the new car price is standard across thailand so dont bother trying to haggle too much just go for upgrades if you can get them. some great second hand deals around now especially if you find a guy wanting to leave town. baht sold is very good, will be selling my pickup on there next month.

Buying a new car in preference to used is a personal choice .IMHO it's throwing money down the drain because depreciation is always worst over the first couple of years. And every time a new model comes out, it sinks the price of the old model some more.

The best buying is any used model with Japanese roots and 40 - 80,000 km on the odometer. It's not rocket science - a compression test and about 30,000 baht for tyres and/or shockers is usually all that's needed.

Brits and Germans tend to look after their cars better because they are fussy about things like regular servicing.

However, the OP wants a NEW car, and it's his money.

Edited by bazza40
Text addition

Horses for courses I would never go for a new car never have never will why simple lose to much money. Look around sort out in your mind what you want and go round second hand dealers bhat sold and other Internet based sales. I personaly would steer clear of buying from other expats went to see a good few whilst looking for mine all over priced (for some reason expats belive if they bought it new they can get the same money back 2 years later). Found mine in a local dealer in end sat in negotiations for a good 4 hrs.  And in the end got it for the price I wanted with the right add ons insurance ect. Must admit to slipping seller a bottle of whiskey when car was in my name  and was handed over to me.

Wouldn't touch 2nd hand, you don't know if there is money owing on it, if it has any engine problems, if its had past hail damage, been in the drink, is full of big, or the clock has been wound back.

Did my research thoroughly over a year, new Vs 2nd hand, not much difference in the price when you consider your getting 3 years warranty and 24 hour roadside assistance to name a few (that is the key), insurance and on road costs included as well.

I purchased a Ford Ranger 2.2 Hi Lander, couldn't be happier, we did originally order an Isuzu MU-X but they failed to deliver, giving us the run around for 2 months, e.g. it's coming, its coming. Most of all the car yards in Sawand Daen Din didn't wanted to serve the falang, why because falangs want to negotiate on price, derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, my Mrs had to get Isuzu to call us 3 times.

Ford got my business because they approached me as you would normally be approached in your own country, advised the price when asked and said could do better if paying by cash, bottom line when I pressed them was given, when I pressed again, the manager Jackie then said, their is the front door, got to respect that, suffice to say the asking price of 829,000 which was reduced to 800,000, better than a kick in the teeth, was delivered in a week straight off the truck with us watching the delivery at the dealership, and saving of 400,000 Vs the still arriving Isuzu MU-X (the wife's choice), now happier with the Ford, although two totally different types of car, the Ford was always my 1st choice, thanks Isuzu, "you can lead them to water as the saying goes"

If you are in the area, call Jackie at Ford, he speaks good English and is very accommodating, as apposed to the rest, this includes the car yards at Udon Thani, like I said, I did the rounds, and I also found out that if your not doing finance, they really aren't interested.

Good luck

If you can afford it by new as you never know on a 2nd hand car how the last owner took care of the car. As for where to buy, just about all the new car dealers have the same price for a new car. I bought a new Mazda 3 and went to a few different dealers. The sticker price was all the same and no discount off the sticker price. BUT the difference between dealers is what they were going to throw in for free. I went with the dealer who gave me free, 1st class insurance for the first year, window tint, all weather floor mats, car cover, free labor on all scheduled maintenance for 3 years and English owners manual. Hope this helps.

If you have a little knowledge of cars, there are some decent S/H deals as prices are now lower than before. 

I'm not sure how much benefit there is in winding the clock back (i'm sure some do) but the prices between average miles and a car with many isn't that much.

As an example I have just sold my Versys which had 46,000k yet I got the same price as a colleagues that had much less and a year younger. 

If you want piece of mind, buy new of course.

Farang and Thai owners as well as tent dealers can all be dodgy. The biggest danger is vehicles that have had a bad accident. Most body shops are artists and it is nearly impossible to detect bent and twisted bodies or frames. Keep in mind that any mechanical problems can be repaired or replaced and be like new.

You can get a decent second hand vehicle if you know the owner and know that the vehicle has never been wrecked. Late models should have a service book. If there is no up to date owners service book, walk away regardless of who the owner is. 

The best way is to buy new especially if you intend to keep it long term. You will forget the extra expense long before you can forget  problems you find with second hand. 

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Wouldn't touch 2nd hand, you don't know if there is money owing on it, if it has any engine problems, if its had past hail damage, been in the drink, is full of big, or the clock has been wound back.

Did my research thoroughly over a year, new Vs 2nd hand, not much difference in the price when you consider your getting 3 years warranty and 24 hour roadside assistance to name a few (that is the key), insurance and on road costs included as well.

I purchased a Ford Ranger 2.2 Hi Lander, couldn't be happier, we did originally order an Isuzu MU-X but they failed to deliver, giving us the run around for 2 months, e.g. it's coming, its coming. Most of all the car yards in Sawand Daen Din didn't wanted to serve the falang, why because falangs want to negotiate on price, derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, my Mrs had to get Isuzu to call us 3 times.

Ford got my business because they approached me as you would normally be approached in your own country, advised the price when asked and said could do better if paying by cash, bottom line when I pressed them was given, when I pressed again, the manager Jackie then said, their is the front door, got to respect that, suffice to say the asking price of 829,000 which was reduced to 800,000, better than a kick in the teeth, was delivered in a week straight off the truck with us watching the delivery at the dealership, and saving of 400,000 Vs the still arriving Isuzu MU-X (the wife's choice), now happier with the Ford, although two totally different types of car, the Ford was always my 1st choice, thanks Isuzu, "you can lead them to water as the saying goes"

If you are in the area, call Jackie at Ford, he speaks good English and is very accommodating, as apposed to the rest, this includes the car yards at Udon Thani, like I said, I did the rounds, and I also found out that if your not doing finance, they really aren't interested.

Good luck

Nearly every showroom I go into don't want to talk but as soon as they know I speak Thai they are very helpful. I think Thai and farang haggle about the price. Everytime I've taken my wife or even one of my kids it's been a nightmare. Go alone!

20 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Good luck

You wouldn't touch second hand, I wouldn't touch Ford. Different strokes for different folks. If you really know cars and aren't worried too much about your image, second hand is the only way to go.

Three year warranty on a new car covers the period when nothing goes wrong.

22 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Wouldn't touch 2nd hand, you don't know if there is money owing on it

Sorry but that is not true. You will get a blue book on the purchase of the car. 

If there is money owed on the car, the blue book is kept with the bank and you won't be able to change the car title (blue book) to your name. 

I picked up a 2009 used pickup at an auction in 2009. 22,000K on the clock. 340,000 baht. I like tinkering with them. But, I still have it and after a few Dealer run in's I am still running it (I personally do not like the dealers here). 296,000 KM on the clock today. I am fairly happy with the truck now that the kinks have been worked out.

On 8/25/2016 at 6:52 PM, Johnniey said:

Nearly every showroom I go into don't want to talk but as soon as they know I speak Thai they are very helpful. I think Thai and farang haggle about the price. Everytime I've taken my wife or even one of my kids it's been a nightmare. Go alone!

Wow.. Every time I go to a showroom, no one would serve me till I speak English.. 

On 8/25/2016 at 6:52 PM, Johnniey said:

I took my TGF and she got me a 40,000 baht discount on a 529,000 baht Nissan..........she loves to haggle :D

Just now, Rdrokit said:

Yes you can sometimes get a discout but then they cut down on the freebies.

Incorrect...........one years insurance/free film of OUR choice/number plate and tax paid/full rubber floor mats/1000 baht of fuel/underbody spray....all told we got ten "freebies" as she played one dealership off with another.:thumbsup:

If time is not an issue and you don't mind travelling, it is a very good way to get bargain by taking the offer of one dealer then going to the next dealer then taking their offer to the next dealer until you are satisfied then take that offer and go back to the first dealer to see if they are willing to budge or give more.. Try to avoid going to a dealer under the same company. 

45 minutes ago, petermik said:

Incorrect...........one years insurance/free film of OUR choice/number plate and tax paid/full rubber floor mats/1000 baht of fuel/underbody spray....all told we got ten "freebies" as she played one dealership off with another.:thumbsup:

Guess you didn't ask for a car cover, free oil changes and free maintenance on scheduled service.

1 hour ago, petermik said:

Wrong again,servicing is free for the first 3 years or 50,000 kms and what use is a car cover when mine is parked under a carport..........come back on here again when you have negotiated a deal on a new car and I,ll reply with similar juvenile comments  ;)

Everybody gets a better deal than someone else, buys a better car, gets better fuel economy, has better safety features, etc, etc, etc.