The clean up of Thailand's hanging wires - more of a headache than first thought!

webfact

The clean up of Thailand's hanging wires - more of a headache than first thought!

a2.jpg

Image: Daily News 

BANGKOK: -- Network companies and cable operators trying to solve the problem of Thailand's terrible tangle of hanging wires have come to a clear conclusion - putting the wires up in the first place was difficult - untangling and clearing up the mess is an absolute nightmare!

Several companies were speaking to reporters in the southern province of Songkhla where the wires in some areas are at head height and very dangerous looking, reported Daily News

The mass of cables at the end of Soi 11 in Saiburi is a case in point and needs urgent attention.

Engineers from AIS, D-TAC, True Move, TT and T and local cable TV companies were left shaking their collective heads in frustration as the mass of tangled wires confronted them. 

Solving the problem by untangling them and bundling them up is proving much harder than when they were put up in the first place, they all agreed.

Bundling the wires is the first step in the process of preparing them for burial that is taking place in many areas of Thailand according to measures announced by the government recently. 

The PM called for the problem of Thailand's hanging wires to be speeded up following comments made by Microsoft founder Bill Gates.

Mr Gates posted "holiday snaps" of the wires in the country a couple of months ago sparking much debate on the issue.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-24

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do what they do in Australia, put in the underground cable/infrastructure, then move customers onto it, then hey, remove the overhead cables, Thailand, it is not rocket science. Would you like me to help...lol

21 minutes ago, Rorri said:

Do what they do in Australia, put in the underground cable/infrastructure, then move customers onto it, then hey, remove the overhead cables, Thailand, it is not rocket science. Would you like me to help...lol

Which should be the normal way...as underground cables have to be armoured.

48 minutes ago, trogers said:

Which should be the normal way...as underground cables have to be armoured.

Wrong, armoured are for special circumstances, most are poly cables, at ti es pressurised to prevent water ingress.

I might add, I've worked in the industry for over40 years.

Edited by Rorri

4 minutes ago, Rorri said:

Wrong, armoured are for special circumstances, most are poly cables, at ti es pressurised to prevent water ingress.

I might add, I've worked in the industry for over40 years.

Worked for 40 years in the soil and traffic conditions of Bangkok?

3 minutes ago, trogers said:

Worked for 40 years in the soil and traffic conditions of Bangkok?

That has very little to do with it, I fail to see your point, there is something called traffic, vehiclar and pedestrian, control, and for ground conditions conduits can be used, please, comment on something you know.

A couple of months ago workmen started pull down the overhead wires over a section of the soi in front of my home and having done so disappeared leaving them all over the place including on the roadway.

After several weeks they returned and removed all the wires,  well when I say   '  removed  '   they simply threw them into the ditches on either side of the soi and left.

Job Done.

1 hour ago, Rorri said:

Rorri, if they treat the "above-the-ground" system as if it was underground there won't be a problem. 

I mean, will they dig up the underground-system every time they need to add a cable or will they have some kind of way to use the existing cables?

It's just a matter of laziness of the provider engineers: putting up a new cable is far more easy than finding a non-used cable. 

1 hour ago, Rorri said:

Or replace with fibre. Get a clean up and an upgrade at the same time.

1 hour ago, Pdaz said:

The idea that other countries may have been through this. Have gained experience and may possibly be able to assist and provide insight is totally alien to Thainess.

remember when a group of dutch drainage engineers came over a few years ago to help bankoks flooding issues? they left a report of what needed to be done which was completely ignored and bangkok continues to flood. thais to proud to listen to foreigners. hate to think of the high voltage cables underground during floods. as usual this will be put in the 'too hard basket' and bought back up in a year or 2.

Just stop the moaning and groaning and get on with it already.  Everything always seems to be TOO HARD to do here.  Crikey. The sooner you start the sooner you'll be done so get going. Other Asian countries have done it.  Call in some expertise for the best way to handle it.  Learn from your mistakes--in this case you made a huge booboo when you didn't require the cable companies to bury the cables in the first place before you awarded any cable contracts to serve an area.  

1 hour ago, NongKhaiKid said:

A couple of months ago workmen started pull down the overhead wires over a section of the soi in front of my home and having done so disappeared leaving them all over the place including on the roadway.

After several weeks they returned and removed all the wires,  well when I say   '  removed  '   they simply threw them into the ditches on either side of the soi and left.

Job Done.

Like Sarsin Road at Lumpini park last year after a big storm knocked all the wires down along the whole stretch of road.

The utility companies put them there,let them

untangle them, remember seeing a few times on TV

were they had built walkways over the roads,

and they failed to have the electricity wires moved,

so the wires were built into the structure,so people

had to climb over the wires to be able to cross the

highway, Thainess

regards worgeordie

Simple, don't touch the old cables. When it comes time to upgrade to fiber optic, just install the new cable properly whether it be underground or any other place and then let some scavengers dismantle the old cable and sell it for scraps.

1 hour ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Rorri, if they treat the "above-the-ground" system as if it was underground there won't be a problem. 

I mean, will they dig up the underground-system every time they need to add a cable or will they have some kind of way to use the existing cables?

It's just a matter of laziness of the provider engineers: putting up a new cable is far more easy than finding a non-used cable. 

The idea is to provide for future capacity, eg if currently have 500 customer, put a 1000 pair capcity in. If installed in conduit another cable can be hauled in.

Edited by Rorri

1 hour ago, gandalf12 said:

Or replace with fibre. Get a clean up and an upgrade at the same time.

Fibre is an option, but needs the infrastructure, at both ends, then is it fibre to the home or fibre to a node, if node then copper to the home. Then of course trained techs to maintain it. Copper, for Thailand is still the best option.

Oh god, reading this was so great. No shit Sherlock kept popping up in my mind like a red annoying flashing danger alam notice...

- putting the wires up in the first place was difficult -

I guess it turned out to be the easiest option available among the experts, assuming they brainstormed as efficiently as they do with everything else, the ground wasn't ever up for consideration, was it?