Ship A Few Household Goods To Thailand

So its only a few weeks before we retire to Thailand (from the UK). Thinking about taking a few things from the house..not furniture..bits from kitchen, garage etc..maybe one or two cubic meters.

Anyone know a company that may do this and anybody done this..all advise greatfully recieved..thanks

Edited by John45

I will be retiring there too in the new year and have been quoted just short of £4,000 by anglo pacific for what will be a full container load -but they will also ship smaller loads.

An alternative quotation was for approx £2000 but the shipping company did not seem as professional. Anglo pacific rep also told be that In Klong Toy harbour there were two different berthing areas for shipping and that customs was knwon to be better in one of these.

I think we may go with the more expensive but more professional approach of Anglo Pacific but would also appreciate other suggestions/advice.

I intend to ship the contents of my home and mainly the tools I have collected over the course of my life-with a view to using them to extend the property I already own in Thailand. The Embasssy here says I will be able to import them tax free, however they are many and varied and would cost over £20,000 to replace in Thailand so I do have worries regarding the customs men in this regard. Any advice appreciated

So its only a few weeks before we retire to Thailand (from the UK). Thinking about taking a few things from the house..not furniture..bits from kitchen, garage etc..maybe one or two cubic meters.

Anyone know a company that may do this and anybody done this..all advise greatfully recieved..thanks

I have just sent a one cubic metre box (containing my PC and other personal items) frm the UK to Thailand, it arrived last week. The cost was £160 per cubic metre from theUK to Thailand and then I had to pay about 11000 baht here in Thailand for customs clearance, tax and transport to my home here, so altogether about £300-350. I can give you all the details (company etc) if you want them, let me know.

Hi, I can highly recommend ATEC, based in Southampton and ship thru Tilbury I think.

740 pounds for about 9 cubic metres and door to door delivery which was very convenient, surprising how a few boxes and a couple of bikes add up!

Very helpful and excellent communication despite being quite a small outfit.

Paid 10k Bht for customs clearance thru their BKK agent which was a pleasant surprise based on declared value of nearly 3000 pounds.

As soon as I paid goods were shipped next day to my house in Kanchanaburi.

Hi, I can highly recommend ATEC, based in Southampton and ship thru Tilbury I think.

740 pounds for about 9 cubic metres and door to door delivery which was very convenient, surprising how a few boxes and a couple of bikes add up!

Very helpful and excellent communication despite being quite a small outfit.

Andy

Edited by apetley

I will be retiring there too in the new year and have been quoted just short of £4,000 by anglo pacific for what will be a full container load -but they will also ship smaller loads.

An alternative quotation was for approx £2000 but the shipping company did not seem as professional. Anglo pacific rep also told be that In Klong Toy harbour there were two different berthing areas for shipping and that customs was knwon to be better in one of these.

I think we may go with the more expensive but more professional approach of Anglo Pacific but would also appreciate other suggestions/advice.

I intend to ship the contents of my home and mainly the tools I have collected over the course of my life-with a view to using them to extend the property I already own in Thailand. The Embasssy here says I will be able to import them tax free, however they are many and varied and would cost over £20,000 to replace in Thailand so I do have worries regarding the customs men in this regard. Any advice appreciated

I assume you have a Thai wife with you as retirement visa does not allow duty free import.

People have responded with details on volumes far larger than your proposal.

For your smaller amount, you could opt for un-accompanied baggage on your airline.

As a general rule though, shipping anything is uneconomic unless of significant value. It pains me thinking of the money i've wasted shipping things that I could have thrown away, bought brand new and still come out ahead.

You have to be ruthless. Shipping kitchen items is usually a waste of money.

We used Excess International Movers in the UK who are partnered with Transpro (asian tigers) here in BKK.

We had no more than about 3 cubic metres of stuff, so it worked out, around 600 squid as I recall. Door to door, no furniture, just household items. We decided it was worth it, as even though you can (on average) save a bit by selling up and then buying new here, we wanted the convinience of having all our stuff just 'there' when we arrived without all the pissing about of re-establishing ourselves. So from that angle, the money was worth it.

If you wife is Thai, ship everything in her name only, and she will receive the duty free allowance if she has lived away from Thailand for more than 12 months.

I (the thai national in the family) did this, and everything went smoothly. At the Thai end, my Thai passport was taken to customs where they checked my Thai entry and exit stamps showing that I had been away for 12 months, and customs stamped in my passport 'duty free allowance utlilized' (in thai).

Given we used the door to door service, the price at the UK end was the final price we paid, apart from legitimate customs charges which amounted to something like 200 baht. The other benefit of the door to door service is that a recognised shipping agent in BKK will handle everything at the port, and they will inevitably have a 'deal' with customs that ensures that everything goes smoothly.

I have just sent a one cubic metre box (containing my PC and other personal items) frm the UK to Thailand, it arrived last week. The cost was £160 per cubic metre from theUK to Thailand and then I had to pay about 11000 baht here in Thailand for customs clearance, tax and transport to my home here, so altogether about £300-350. I can give you all the details (company etc) if you want them, let me know.

Please give me details...

Yes my wife is Thai and I realise that all needs to go in her name..however we have been back to Thailand for at least 4 months in the past year..just holidays..she also entered and exited Thailand using her Thai Passport..does she loose her duty free allowance..is that allowance the 'one of everything'?

Thanks

Please give me details...

Yes my wife is Thai and I realise that all needs to go in her name..however we have been back to Thailand for at least 4 months in the past year..just holidays..she also entered and exited Thailand using her Thai Passport..does she loose her duty free allowance..is that allowance the 'one of everything'?

Thanks

First I didn't send it in my wife's name, I sent it in mine. That could be why I was charged 2500baht this end (within the 11000baht) even though I had been told electronic items were duty free. Maybe somebody else knows more about that and can help.

You don't say where abouts in the UK you live. I come from Shropshire in the west midlands so used a local transport company called T.S.International Freight Forwarders Ltd. Their web address is

'http://www.tsinternational.com/index.php?wID=23' and they even supplied the one cubic metre box free of charge. I you don't come from the midlands ring them any way and if they can't do it themselves I'm sure they'll be in contact with a company local to you who can. They arranged for a local agent in Bangkok to deal with everything this end and they just phoned me when then box arrived. I paid them the costs incured this end and they delivered the box to my door the same day.I chose to send the box by sea because it takes 24 days for the journey. This meant I could arrange for collection whilst still in the UK then fly to Thailand and still be here before it arrived. You can send it by air, it takes two days and costs about £20 per box more. Hope this helps, you need any more info let me know.

Try sevenseas website i used these to ship some stuff over about 3 boxes, the weight was limited to 30 or 40 kgs per box and it cost me about 150 pound plus 8000 baht for taxes and shipped to my address in thailand as i only got them delievered to the port as i did not no my address at that time. All in all it took about 7 weeks but i was not in a hurry for the stuff and half the stuff i sent i have given away as dont really need it. Something to think about :o

I have also used Sevenseas door to door service, £345 for 3 tea chests and 4 book boxes although you are limited to 30kg/40kg respectively they collected on Monday, we travel to LOS next Tuesday and we hope to have the items by the End of January, Sevenseas have impressed me so far, excellent customer service, professional, lets hope my stuff arrives !