‘Do not accept the coup’ – Brazil’s Rousseff testifies at impeachment hearing

webfact

‘Do not accept the coup’ – Brazil’s Rousseff testifies at impeachment hearing

606x341_342524.jpg

BRASILIA: -- We are about to witness a “serious violation” of the constitution and a “coup d’etat.” Those, the words from suspended Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff, who has been defending herself before the Senate in her impeachment trial.

She said her conservative opponents are using trumped-up charges to oust her and the future of the country is at stake.

Rousseff denies allegations of breaking budgetary rules.

“I ask you to act justly towards me, an honest president who never committed any illegal act in my personal life or in my public functions,” Rousseff said during her testimony.

“Do not accept the coup, because instead of resolving the Brazilian crisis, it will make it even worse.”

The leftist leader warned that a conservative government would slash social spending and said Brazil’s elite had set its sights on destabilising her government to protect their own interests.

Rousseff said: “Today, once again, the people who voted for me are having their wishes hurt. Our democracy is being put at risk of rupturing to protect the interests of the economic and political elite.

Several hundred people chanted in support of Rousseff as she gave her testimony.

But it seems the odds are stacked against her, with the proceedings expected to oust her.

If Rousseff does go, interim president Michel Temer, 75, will be sworn in to take over the rest of her presidential term – through to 2018.

Rousseff is expected to learn her fate by Wednesday this week.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-08-30

Another politician caught cheating whose only defense is to claim it's all politically motivated. 

Guess what Dilma (is she related to Dilbert?, if you didn't cheat in the first place you can't get caught.

Seems politicians no longer bother actually denying or trying to defend against the charges, which seems to imply their admission of guilt but rely on trying to divert to an argument about political motivation and constitutional technicalities. Just another emerging world politician who thinks she's above the law, beyond reproach and can do as she pleases. 

The dangerous trait is how they all then try to make those who voted for them feel obliged to protect their position and office regardless of the actual charges and reality.

Edited by Baerboxer

Her mistakes were a lot milder than many still in power. Agree always good to see the back of crooked politicians, but seems this was a coup, the replacements are a long way from squeaky clean and were not elected. Just have a look at the history of Sth America and the amount of foreign orchestrated coups and plane accidents, hard to not see this in the same vein. The Economic Hitman book is quite illuminating for those still in denial.

Lock her up.

Her Brics have fallen too. All that's left of Brics is Russia and China. The only one of the former Brics going strong is India which is now aligned with the USA.

Rousseff finally ran out of other people's money. Happening elsewhere in S America too, such as Venezuela in particular. With the US reconnecting with Cuba a lot is beginning to shake loose south of the border.

This is not about corruption -- if it was the chamber where she is being tried would be empty.  To be a politician down there is to get your beak wet, and maybe wading in the cash up to their knees.  I had an almost-sister in law who was starting out as a local representative of a small town, and already she wouldn't pay when she ate in a restaurant; that's how it starts.

This is about gov't leadership breaking from the established ruling class in 2002, when Lula was elected.  People in the street were literally weeping with joy when he won. 

The press, especially O Globo, part of the old establishment (think Fox News, but not as rabid (and not 24-hour 'news' either)), spearheaded this impeachment thing. I hope she pulls through.  If she's dumped that'll be the end of Labor representation for a while, back to the usual scum.

I don't care for her much myself, but look at the big picture.

Edited by bendejo