What's The Most Favourable Climate Zone In Thailand?

Brewster67

Been here in Korat for over 6 years now, and having spent most of my life as a bit of a nomad, I feel it is time for a bit of a change of scenery. I am getting itchy feet if you like, always been like this all my life...

I want to stay in Thailand as I am married out here, but I have to say I am getting a bit tired of the same old constantly hot, dusty area I am living in. The dry season here starts about the end of the first week in October and we see almost no rain till about May or June, and the monsoon season is also very short, about 5 weeks with a bit of rain here and there for the month leading up to it. We hardly see a breeze, only when it is raining really. I can go weeks on end without seeing as much as a leaf twitching on a tree or bush in my garden. The cool season is also really short and the cool season can change to the peak of the hot season in less than a week. No gentle transition.... just Bam!... scorching.

I like a bit of variance in climate, a bit more longer and gentler transition between seasons, but here it seems to be almost the same year in and year out.... A bit boring really.

So I think its time for a change, I have just about had enough of this place and it also seems to be a bit repetitive regarding things to do and places to go. So where would you recommend moving to, that has a bit of a cooler climate with longer transitional seasons and preferably a longer cool season than here?...  I have traveled around Thailand quite a bit, I used to jump in the car with the wife and drive a couple of thousand KMs over say 2 weeks with no real plans booking hotels every day for the next destination, but never been to another area for long enough to get a full picture.

I would say Petchabhun was my favourite place, up in the mountains, much cooler, a bit more rain and a bit more breeze, but the coast is also breezier....  So really looking for advice from those who live in all the different areas of Thailand and how you rate your local climate zone on an annual basis. Is it balanced or like 2 sides of a coin like here?... Would like to hear your views. Better to hear it from those who live it all year round.

Just in case someone chirps in with the old... "If you are not happy, leave Thailand... it's not for you" or "What did you expect coming to a hot country?".... or anything similar, no I am not going to leave, when I can find a better place within here, I have no intention of going to the extreme of leaving the country and neither does my wife. :)

Edited by Brewster67

After some considerable time traveling around Thailand I decided ended up where l am living because Mrs wanted to stay near family,  if your wife don't mind moving anywhere then you can get to jump in the car again and go many different places, rent and stay for a good while to see for yourself to make up your own mind.  

Asking here is ok but on tv where everybody lives is the best place. :lol: :whistling:

Asking here is ok but on tv where everybody lives is the best place. :lol: :whistling:

Me too :P I enjoy the cold Isan "winter nights" with the fresh morning air.

And not many have the experience with that many places.

And indeed I doubt there is one single favorite place.

Rich people have multiple mansions.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Even before I got to that place on your post, I was thinking Petchabun, Loei, areas. 

I took a week's vacation early this year, just driving around the area, and exploring new roads.  Wonderful cooler weather, interesting hills, delightful little resorts.  I'm thinking of relocating myself to next-door Nong Bua Lam Phu, with the partial purpose of being close to that area.  

Good luck!

I really enjoy where I live in Northern Thailand. The mountains offer lots of trees and cooler environments. The air is fresh year round and where I am I always have some sort of breeze.  It gets comfortably chilly in winter and can hail if the conditions are right. Depending on what part of the north the rainy seasons are pleasant and I quite like them. Summer is summer in Thailand. Down right hot but in the north at least it has temp swings at night so having the windows open is very nice.

I would scope out an area from say Tak to maybe Lamphun to Phrae. Not sure what type of person you are but keep in mind when you move to the North you will get spread out and if you like creature comforts like you can find in downtown Korat they may not be available without a long drive.

Its quite a piss off when a serious question gets some corney answers like central world.

Brewster unfortunately I don't live in Thailand yet but have travelled a lot and one of the prettiest places in the north was Mae Hong son. Changmai now is too polluted and the smoke in some months is terrible.Changrai somehow I didn't like too much.

Ive heard nice things about Petchburi and Loei too.

If you are fond of the sea then I recommend you a place few know called Khanom very picturesque nice breeze all the time cool nights nice people but ofcourse its south so its hot.

U fly to Nakhon Si Thammerat and then take the van from there. Its a very small town with great food. Nearest shopping mall is Nakhon Si Thammerat or Surat Thani.

Another favourite of mine is Trang clean nice city overflowing with waterfalls.

Keep in touch

Cheers

13 minutes ago, mysticpaki said:

Its quite a piss off when a serious question gets some corney answers like central world.

Brewster unfortunately I don't live in Thailand yet but have travelled a lot and one of the prettiest places in the north was Mae Hong son. Changmai now is too polluted and the smoke in some months is terrible.Changrai somehow I didn't like too much.

If you are fond of the sea then I recommend you a place few know called Khanom very picturesque nice breeze all the time cool nights nice people but ofcourse its south so its hot.

U fly to Nakhon Si Thammerat and then take the van from there. Its a very small town with great food. Nearest shopping mall is Nakhon Si Thammerat or Surat Thani.

Keep in touch

Cheers

See !!  this is exactly what l am trying to point out to the OP l don't agree with most if not all of the places you mention seeing and hearing is one thing,  living is another.

I can't speak to all the suggestions, but for me Chiang Mai is a nice compromise.  Hate the humidity of the south and want to live in a city. I know about the smoke, but all-in-all works for me. Been here over two years now and no regrets.

I live at Khao Khad beach on Phuket. Personally I love the weather here. I am on the beach and cool breezes right now mixed with a good downpour. As for wind, we have great blowy days which cool everything. In May June it gets hot, but we don't even have aircondioning, just fans. And if you are into having a boat it is perfect. we go hiking in the hills with a road through the jungle. The main town of Phuket is 12 kilometers away, and Chalong about the same. Downside is the airport is 45 mins away, but peace and quiet is worth it. No noisy neighbors, mostly farang and Muslim. The sound of waves breaking on the beach day and night is very soothing. Of course all the "I Hate Phuket" folks will crawl out of the woodwork now.....but most of them probably went to Patong where I rarely go, it is on the other side of the island. We have a great Immigration office where the 90 day report takes under 10 minutes and the staff are very civil. I must be off for my evening swim now.

I live 70 kilometres from Korat and agree with everything you say about the place and region. I too have travelled around in search of better and it's proved frustrating. Khanom referred to here is pretty with lovely beaches but you'd go stir crazy after a while. A week or two is about enough. Samui which I recently went to again is a cesspool with poor examples of humanity with mainly awful beaches although the climate would certainly be better. I used to love Phuket many ,many years ago ,Karon, but not been for several years and hear depressing things about what it's become which has put me off returning,but guess I'll go later this year post monsoon season and hope for the best but prepare for the worst . I'm really struggling to think of anywhere in Thailand that has nice beaches and lifestyle that isn't too isolated. Is there anywhere now approaching what Phuket used to be ?

2 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Petchabun, Pai, Loei, Mae Hong Son, Nan and if you can take the smoke CM.

Mae Hong Son, and possibly some of the others, suffers smoke also, every bit as bad as CM from my experience.

Edited by F4UCorsair
tried but unable to edit

I visited Chang Rai for a week a few years back, and it was actually cold at night, requiring a jacket...I found the place rather enjoyable, with everything anyone would need...and not so many farang as Chang Mai...it was just a bit far from BKK for me. Good hunting.

It may not be to your liking but the Chonburi/Pattaya area has one of the best climates, good breezes, just enough rain. I found Samui gets constantly flooded during thevrainy season, anywhere South of Chumpoon such as Krabi and Phuket have exceptionalky long rainy seasons kasting 4 or 5 months, West coast Hua Hin, Cha am do get breezes but agsin a long dry season as where you are now

4 hours ago, mysticpaki said:

Keep in touch

Cheers

Agree with the first you say. But there are always trolls wandering around. Just dont feed them....

When it comes to places worth staying I do think Chonburi and Rayong has the most stabile climates, short rainy seasons and not amongst the hottest places during the hot season. 

Most of the north and the northeast are similar to what the OP describes - dusty and extremely hot during the hot season and most of the rainy season too as long as its not raining. It was 39 degrees in Chiang Rai a few days ago.

The exceptions are of course if youre a bit above sea level, then the tempratures will be lower. In the chang wats of Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phayao, Nan, Uttaradit, Loei and Petchabun (not Petchaburi) and other there are a good bit of mountains and thus some areas that are better.

There are probably good areas in the south near the sea where you often have a cooling breeze easing you a bit - but then again the most of the south have longer rainy seasons. And the south is not as hot as the north and the northeast. 

4 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

I like the mountains but if money was no object then I would favour the gulf coast south of Hua Hin.

khanom is very nice but I think it would bore me quite quickly , nice beach but the town is pretty small and uninspiring.

That Gulf  coast gets  bloomin hot and very dry.............I know  I live there in Prachuap

North west of chiang mai is spot on for me, away from the crowds of cm and fairly cool most of the year. We get some good breezes and winter is fun as it means i get to wear clothes like i used to wear in the summer back home. @650m up we dont have many smoke issues, but then i go on tour for a few weeks around then as its SBK racing in burriram.