Poll: Do you use "old man" bar soap in your bath/shower?

Jingthing

Poll: Do you use "old man" bar soap in your bath/shower?  

161 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful Mysore Sandalwood bar soap from India, Irish Spring bar soap from USA or 

the great smelling L'occitane liquid soap for me...

download (1).jpg

The Mrs uses Protex :whistling: ( Gotta love thriftiness)

Edited by Pdaz

11 hours ago, petermik said:

Everyone of JT topics is rivetting transam    :cheesy:

As in you want to put an industrial rivet gun to your head and pull the trigger. ( just kidding!)

I usually buy mine from the Madame Heng shop in Terminal 21. Shower gel for most of my bod and bar soap for my nether regions, gooch, tradesman's and feet.

Edited by mca

Girls have used up my shampoo and my conditioner from home thinking they were shower gel. Crap!

I leave out several hotel gels and my Dove bar. Often the nice smelling Dove gets the nod. Interesting to see who picks what. Will write a book on it.

No need to feel old or insecure because you still like the bar.

At the gym the gel is the only choice and is obviously the most hygienic option anyway.

All the shower gels I've tried so far seem to leave an oily/greasy film on the skin, which I don't like.  It can be eventually rinsed off with some effort, but I gather it's "moisturizer" and is intentional.  No thanks.  So I continue to use bar soap, but don't "scrub" with it as I use a cloth.

Bar soap grosses me out after it's wet and been sitting. And I"m 66--just hip like millenials, ha ha. I always use gel in the shower and regular soft dispenser soap (not antibacterial) at the sinks. Even traveling, I bring a travel-size gel with me if I happen to find myself at a cheap motel that provides only those thin bars.

9 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

Bar soap grosses me out after it's wet and been sitting. And I"m 66--just hip like millenials, ha ha. I always use gel in the shower and regular soft dispenser soap (not antibacterial) at the sinks. Even traveling, I bring a travel-size gel with me if I happen to find myself at a cheap motel that provides only those thin bars.

Isn't it technically called "purse-size" ?

I have tried the gel. I squeeze some onto my hand and it immediately washes off and goes down the drain. 

How do you deal with that?

32 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Girls have used up my shampoo and my conditioner from home thinking they were shower gel. Crap!

I leave out several hotel gels and my Dove bar. Often the nice smelling Dove gets the nod. Interesting to see who picks what. Will write a book on it.

No need to feel old or insecure because you still like the bar.

At the gym the gel is the only choice and is obviously the most hygienic option anyway.

On the contrary:

https://youtu.be/VjSNrg7T0Wo

Edited by ClutchClark

1 minute ago, ClutchClark said:

Isn't it technically called "purse-size" ?

I have tried the gel. I squeeze some onto my hand and it immediately washes off and goes down the drain. 

How do you deal with that?

Why purse-size? Every supermarket and drug store in the U.S., anyway, has a decent section of "travel-size" or "sample size" everything: shaving cream, shampoo, gel, etc. As for losing the gel, you need one that isn't too thick. The thick stuff rolls right off your body as you said. A good quality smoother, softer one with just the right consistency doesn't bounce off your body. In the US, Suave is the best, and cheap too. Personally I don't like any of the European ones, though that's all you get in thailand that I recall. Palmolive is a good us brand that was available in Dubai and Saudi Arabia...not sure about SE Asia.

7 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

I allergic to most soaps on the market The one that is fine for me to use is Baby Soup by J & J They only make bar soap in this brand No liquid otherwise I would switch

I bet you taste nice. 

I use both. I also use bars in my drawers and closets. So they smell good. When you use a bar soap that has dried out awhile in a drawer it lasts five times longer. And all my old man boxers smell like Irish Spring.

17 hours ago, JJGreen said:

Of course. Using the smart phone. Wouldn't 70% of posters use their phones?

never posted to TV from phone. but I do searches on phone for 'things TV' 'intel TV' etc.

Now this might be an interesting topic for a poll.

Bar soap can take away all the oils from the skin, drying out the skin and creating all sorts of skin problems for those who are susceptible. That is why many people use a liquid soap.

Back in the day when bar soap was invented, you had a bath twice a week (no showers) if you were rich. Unless you have very tough skin or you don't mind wrinkles, then bar soap is out.

The great thing here to take away is that you guys are showering.:cheesy:. Of course a frequency poll might be in order.

Bar soap for me. My wife picks them out. She rotates with different one when time to replace. Most are pleasantly aromatic.  She has this one she uses that has some ground nutshell in it and can be abrasive but she lets me know but you feel very clean after use. 

8 minutes ago, humqdpf said:

Bar soap can take away all the oils from the skin, drying out the skin and creating all sorts of skin problems for those who are susceptible. That is why many people use a liquid soap.

Back in the day when bar soap was invented, you had a bath twice a week (no showers) if you were rich. Unless you have very tough skin or you don't mind wrinkles, then bar soap is out.

Bar soap has Linoleac Acid added to it and this provides conditioning and moisturizing. 

All soaps remove oils by their very nature. I would hazard a guess that your liquid soap has a similar agent added or it is not really a soap.

21 minutes ago, humqdpf said:

When soap was invented?  Heck, in the 1950's (North America) everyone had their Saturday night bath (only) whether they needed it or not.   Soap of choice?   Tide (laundry detergent) sprinkled liberally into the bath water.    

Oh, how far we've come, making the body-care companies very happy and very rich.   

48 minutes ago, humqdpf said:

I think any kind of soap dries the skin. Doesn't matter bar or not. We're in the tropics and many of us take multiple showers in the hot seasons. It's wise to limit the use of any soaps after the first daily shower. Obviously, the smelly areas need the soap but other than that if it's multiple showers in a day, just water is often better. 

Edited by Jingthing