British Embassy quietly trying to sell their downtown home for THB18 billion

snoop1130

18 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I put it down to Brexit...the Brits seem to be feeling under the sofa cushions for any loose change it seems.

It's really a shame as like the article says, this site (before the Central Embassy carbuncle) was a gracious bit of old British Raj in Bangkok. I'm just glad that when I lived in Bangkok for a few years at the turn of the Millennium, I was able to attend a few Ploenchit Fairs, ambassordor's open houses and teas, and Armistice Day rememberances, with Ole Queen Vic, at the embassy.

Complete rubbish- this was first around last year at some point. To be honest though the embassy could work out of a cardboard box on Sukhumvit Road for all the use it is. The Canadians seem to be able to work out of commercial premises, why not the Brits?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I put it down to Brexit...the Brits seem to be feeling under the sofa cushions for any loose change it seems.

It's really a shame as like the article says, this site (before the Central Embassy carbuncle) was a gracious bit of old British Raj in Bangkok. I'm just glad that when I lived in Bangkok for a few years at the turn of the Millennium, I was able to attend a few Ploenchit Fairs, ambassordor's open houses and teas, and Armistice Day rememberances, with Ole Queen Vic, at the embassy.

the UK economy is actually booming since Brexit.  However this sale was initiated well before - so you are wrong as usual.  And I must assume you are a dumb yank if you think that Queen Vic is the current Queen.   also. not sure if you are simply fantasizing about your attendance as they have a policy about allowing too many mincers!

Edited by jonesthebaker

11 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Complete rubbish- this was first around last year at some point. To be honest though the embassy could work out of a cardboard box on Sukhumvit Road for all the use it is. The Canadians seem to be able to work out of commercial premises, why not the Brits?

Perhaps the Brit diplomatic post in Thailand is considered a "cushy" one to include prestige, extensive staff, a mansion and all the accoutrements that go along with it?  

Facilities include:

• Club house
  • Gym facilities
  • Swimming pool
  • Multi-purpose sports court
  • Childrens’ playroom
  • Medical facilities
  • Technical staff facilities Stores and workshops Security facilities.

That is certainly the scuttlebutt about several western diplomatic posts in SE Asia.  Giving that up won't be easy, nor will it be replaced by that suburban strip mall storefront.  

Edited by Fookhaht

1 minute ago, jonesthebaker said:

the UK economy is actually booming since Brexit.  However this sale was initiated well before - so you are wrong as usual.  And I must assume you are a dumb yank if you think that Queen Vic is the current Queen.   also. not sure if you are simply fantasising about your attendance as they have a policy about allowing too many mincers!

Brexit hasn't happened yet, might not for a few years, or ever!

3 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Brexit hasn't happened yet, might not for a few years, or ever!

the referendum was for Brexit and more people than ever would vote for Brexit should the corrupt freaks in government ever put it to a second vote.  the affects of Brexit took place immediately.  currency, markets, trade, etc.  It has happened for all intents and purposes.  With all of the increasing disgust with immigration and particulary the  growing numbers of rapists and muslims  -  and the EU going further and further down the pan - even the leftist brainwashed ignorant nutters who voted to stay will never get their day!

1 minute ago, jonesthebaker said:

the referendum was for Brexit and more people than ever would vote for Brexit should the corrupt freaks in government ever put it to a second vote.  the affects of Brexit took place immediately.  currency, markets, trade, etc.  It has happened for all intents and purposes.  With all of the increasing disgust with immigration and particulary the  growing numbers of rapists and muslims  -  and the EU going further and further down the pan - even the leftist brainwashed ignorant nutters who voted to stay will never get their day!

I would have voted Leave, if I were living in the UK.

The town that I come from in the UK was probably one of the safest/quietest small cities/towns in Britain, the kind of place where nothing ever happened.

In the last 6 years two people have been knifed to death in the street by strangers in separate incidents, I believe the perps were Lithuanian and Polish (nowt to do with muslims).

Although no one ever seems to mention it, I think that in the last 10-15 years the UK has probably seen the biggest crime-wave in its' history, coincidentally, at the time when mass-immigration started.

To comment on these things one will be called a racist, bigot, blah, blah. Something that many of our compatriots seem to obsess about!

Oh, how the mighty Britain has fallen. They must be getting desperate for any small change.

I wonder where they will go, given they must do a lot of business.

Perhaps they want to move far away from any convenient spot so the pesky Brits don't bother them anymore with annoying personal problems.

18 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I would have voted Leave, if I were living in the UK.

The town that I come from in the UK was probably one of the safest/quietest small cities/towns in Britain, the kind of place where nothing ever happened.

In the last 6 years two people have been knifed to death in the street by strangers in separate incidents, I believe the perps were Lithuanian and Polish (nowt to do with muslims).

Although no one ever seems to mention it, I think that in the last 10-15 years the UK has probably seen the biggest crime-wave in its' history, coincidentally, at the time when mass-immigration started.

To comment on these things one will be called a racist, bigot, blah, blah. Something that many of our compatriots seem to obsess about!

well I am a racist but my understanding of the word is this:  I wish to protect my own race and heritage over other races. I do not wish not harm other races but they should have equal rights to what we (Brits) have in their country's.  I also do not want to be any where near mulsims communities.  it is a natural default condition for all humans.  leftist, brainwashed, cowards have no idea of natural dispositions.  I understand that a lot of the crime is from eastern Europeans but the rape gangs are muslim - usually Paki.  (which is not a result of recent policy but it is being highlighted because of it).  I guess even to say muslim is wrong as there are good people.  But many people who come from these country's are sub human in their attitudes and  this should be recognised. 

Edited by jonesthebaker

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh, how the mighty Britain has fallen. They must be getting desperate for any small change.

I wonder where they will go, given they must do a lot of business.

Perhaps they want to move far away from any convenient spot so the pesky Brits don't bother them anymore with annoying personal problems.

I think our decline began in '45.

Also, I believe another great power in the world reached the zenith of its' power about 10 years ago, they too are in eye-poppingly big debt.

As a Brit living in Thailand for over 30 years I would feel upset about this were it not for the fact that the embassy has become a very unpleasant place to visit because of the unhelpful attitude of the embassy staff. Underworked, overpaid and generally useless. Very different from when I first lived in Thailand.

Definitely a shame to lose 9 acres of green in the middle of BKK.

It's is not like the city needs yet another [deleted] giant building to buy crap nobody really needs.

Trees and green space, on the other hand, will sadly never come back.

The brits could donate the land for parkland

3 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

As a Brit living in Thailand for over 30 years I would feel upset about this were it not for the fact that the embassy has become a very unpleasant place to visit because of the unhelpful attitude of the embassy staff. Underworked, overpaid and generally useless. Very different from when I first lived in Thailand.

You can't get the staff these days!

Seeing as a lot of big corporations are not bearing their fair share of the tax load the average worker cannot handle any more. The government needs to raise money.  Somewhat unrelated but a great read is the following . You are subsidizing the taxes for the big boys. The following read almost knocked me off of my chair especially when reading Ireland's position and the comments made by America. Also look at the amounts of money involved staggering. Its an interlocked world of thievery but the EU tax man has called them out. It will be an interesting story. I am sure it will hurt all the companies mentioned. I would never touch an Apple product

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3764393/Apple-faces-bill-billions-Irish-tax-affairs-EU-rules-company-effectively-received-state-aid.html

Edited by elgordo38

6 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

" Thailand seems to be getting unfashionable these days. "

Nice try to redirect the blame on Thailand. More like the Brits downsizing to suit their rapidly diminishing diplomatic significance.

They've been trying to flog assets at least since 2005 to fund their own government's operations, e.g. "to combat global warming ... ha, ha, ha

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatfeedback/4195219/Britain-to-sell-off-its-prime-acres-in-Thailand.html

More tax breaks for the rich, down sizing the NHS, closing more youth centres, more health care for immigrants yeah I get the picture. 

You can take the country out of the 3rd-world, but you can''t take the 3rd-world out of the country. That takes a bit longer and isn't earnings-related.

Where did the 10,000USD per capita prer annum come from? That's nearly 30,000 THB a month, and doesn't sound even close to being right.

Winnie

8 minutes ago, Winniedapu said:

You can take the country out of the 3rd-world, but you can''t take the 3rd-world out of the country. That takes a bit longer and isn't earnings-related.

Where did the 10,000USD per capita prer annum come from? That's nearly 30,000 THB a month, and doesn't sound even close to being right.

Winnie

Those are World Bank figures.

It doesn't mean that everyone in Thailand gets that much, wealth distribution in Thailland is somewhat unequal, to say the least.

I think on the Gini-Coefficient, which measures this, Thailand has one of the biggest disparities in the World.

On a GDP per-capita, Thailand is about 8 or 10 places higher than China.

Gives a different picture about how "rich" China really is.  Ballpark figures, but on a per-capita basis, China needs to be about 5 times richer than the US is today, to be as rich in reality.

Edited by Andrew65

The staff at the British Embassy in Bangkok have never, in the 10 years that I have been in Thailand, provided a service to the British expat population or to tourists which in anyway compares to that of other countries embassy's. Indeed, a few years ago (I don't know about now) the staff, arrogantly, acted illegally by international standards.  Nearly £400 million is a lot of money but it will quickly be absorbed into the pockets of the FCO in pensions etc.

The consulate is no better. Any chance that can be sold off too and then we can set up on our own? 

21 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

You put it down to Brexit, and yet they already sold part of the British Embassy land prior to Brexit!

I wonder whether or not you used reason and logic in your reply?

2 hours ago, jonesthebaker said:

the UK economy is actually booming since Brexit.  However this sale was initiated well before - so you are wrong as usual.  And I must assume you are a dumb yank if you think that Queen Vic is the current Queen.   also. not sure if you are simply fantasizing about your attendance as they have a policy about allowing too many mincers!

I'll let your post stand as an editorial comment...I'm sure most here get my admittedly twisted humor and my reference to Queen Vic :D

Edited by OMGImInPattaya