Smoking on Baht Buses.

sharecropper

13 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:
Only happened once a long time ago going down town from Naklua,  quite a simple response rang the bell just at dolphin round about. Walked up to passenger window as normal and told the driver in Thai there was a smelly fat farang smoking in the back,and walked off. Walked over the road and flagged the next bus down.

Walked over the road and flagged the next bus down?

So, you didn't want to carry on traveling in the same direction then?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 02/09/2016 at 0:48 AM, Basil B said:

As a person who does find it objectionable particularly when they sit up by the cab and it blows in ones face, wounder what they would think should I be sitting up wind of them and broke wind after a very hot vindaloo. 

You take the chances of creating quite a stink!

In a way peoples' opinions on smoking hardly matter to the topic, although IMO it is a disgusting habit. The question was is it illegal to smoke on baht buses, and the answer seems to be yes, because it is public transport.

Knowing this, people objecting to the scum that do it can at least feel better armed to confront them. A threatened detour to Soi 9 to ruin someone's holiday might be enough to stop them.

19 hours ago, yogi100 said:

I'm also a non smoker. If it bothered me like it does some shrinking violets I would not venture out of the nanny state UK that I have now come to really despise.

I have a pal who packed up two years ago ago and strarts moaning every time we go in a GGB when someone lights up near us. I had to tell him to give it a rest and now avoid going in GGBs with him, he's OK in the BBs.

You breath in more fumes walking along Soi Bhukaow than you ever will spending a whole eveing sitting next to a smoker. They just know it's pointless whinging about traffic and it's not Whinging Poms who are the culprits, Yanks and Germans are the worst.

What is GGB? Here we have another poster too lazy on the keyboards.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

What is GGB? Here we have another poster too lazy on the keyboards.

And here we have a poster who's lacking the intellect to figure out what a GGB could possibly be when he's been told it's something or somewhere people 'go in' and 'light up' when the subject under discussion is smoking. 

Either that or he's pretending to be thick in order to make petty accusations of laziness in his snidey little one line comment. Yet in his previous post assumes that everyone will know what he means when he refers to a 'Bt bus'. But none of the rest of us are that stupid that we can't figure out that he means baht bus.

I doubt there's a member of any forum related to Thailand who has actually been to Pattaya or BKK (in case that also leaves you scratching you head it is an abbreviation for Bangkok) who has not been in a gogo bar at one time or another and can't immediately figure out what is meant when someone refers to a GGB.

3 hours ago, sharecropper said:

In a way peoples' opinions on smoking hardly matter to the topic, although IMO it is a disgusting habit. The question was is it illegal to smoke on baht buses, and the answer seems to be yes, because it is public transport.

Knowing this, people objecting to the scum that do it can at least feel better armed to confront them. A threatened detour to Soi 9 to ruin someone's holiday might be enough to stop them.

I am afraid you have a lot to learn about Thailand and Pattaya. The law doesn't mean anything what matters is how it's implemented. Soi 9...LOL.

95% of the bars in Pattaya allow indoor smoking which is 'illegal'.

While we make allowances for members who do not speak English as their first language, we expect everyone to make an effort to post in a manner which allows others to understand their posts. Posts full of intentional misspellings, all caps, no caps, l33tspeak, or similar slang may be deleted in order to preserve a standard of readability. This is a forum, not an SMS or Twitter message.

img001.jpg

These signs i got from city hall while the campaign lasted. I put them on many buses. If ya all would make 10

glossy copies and glue in passenger section of buses it would help. The drivers are ok with this , especially if 

you tell them they collect the 2000 !. Ill spare you another diatribe about smokers, If someone gets on a bus with a

cigarette - I tell them to put it out while they still can.

6 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Oh, so because YOU smoke, I should have to pay for & otherwise deal with taxis or get my own vehicle and not be able to use baht busses.  What total rubbish.  Irresponsibles like you are why anti-smoking regulations and taxes are on such a long-term rise, and are so popular.  I've got a much better and more obvious solution:  why don't YOU get YOUR own vehicle, and smoke in it all you want?!

Have you been going off half-cocked for very long? Where did you see I said I smoke? I do not smoke. I simply asked if saving a few baht was worth the bull of a baht bus. Apparently it is for you, but it is not for me. My life, time, and convenience is more valuable to me. That's why I take my own vehicle or a taxi.

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

I think those who get of a bus because someone is smoking should indicate to the driver with the smoking gesture and say he pay...

I am sure the driver will get the money of the smoker.

I reckon he will come after you. maybe not

but very silly advice to give people. :wai2:

I really wonder how many people on this forum live here, spend a lot of time here, or are just occasional visitors?  You realize you are talking about Thailand?  Do you realize how many things you come into contact with daily in the city areas of this country that are illegal?  Do you think you whinging on a forum changes it or has the potential to?  Get over your selves and rent a motorbike if you are so sensitive.

4 minutes ago, forrwhat said:

I really wonder how many people on this forum live here, spend a lot of time here, or are just occasional visitors?  You realize you are talking about Thailand?  Do you realize how many things you come into contact with daily in the city areas of this country that are illegal?  Do you think you whinging on a forum changes it or has the potential to?  Get over your selves and rent a motorbike if you are so sensitive.

This is about baht buses, not motorbikes.

It's interesting every time there is a baht bus thread people post get a private vehicle.

When there is news (sadly very often) of bike accidents and deaths, funny thing is people don't post ... idiots! ... should have used the baht buses and they'd be alive!

Get the point? 

14 hours ago, smotherb said:

Why do you subject yourselves to smoking and other people by taking a baht bus? To save a few baht? Take a taxi, or get your own vehicle. 

Cos it's the only transport available where we live......

I'd always take a taxi but there not available on the way to the city 10Km away.

The best we can do is a baht bus for a couple of KM to the motorway and wait for a Taxi to pass by and hail it.

We use taxis to go back though.

Just now, laislica said:

Cos it's the only transport available where we live......

I'd always take a taxi but there not available on the way to the city 10Km away.

The best we can do is a baht bus for a couple of KM to the motorway and wait for a Taxi to pass by and hail it.

We use taxis to go back though.

I said, " . . . or get your own vehicle."

Just now, laislica said:

To have a vehicle, I would need a driver so that is hardly an sensible proposition.

Just now, laislica said:

To have a vehicle, I would need a driver so that is hardly an sensible proposition.

Having my own vehicle has always been the option for me. If you can't drive, yeah, a driver would work and perhaps be a multi-tasking driver. Alternatively, hire a bargirl with a scooter, or better yet buy her a car and she could be your driver.

1 minute ago, smotherb said:

Having my own vehicle has always been the option for me. If you can't drive, yeah, a driver would work and perhaps be a multi-tasking driver. Alternatively, hire a bargirl with a scooter, or better yet buy her a car and she could be your driver.

My wife can't drive and won't learn, too scared.

I'm just too scared but we have a car in my home country and I really miss having one in Thailand.

We are only in Thailand half the year  anyway.

Glad to hear that you are sorted though.

What's having a scooter or your own vehicle got to do with this? I HAVE my own vehicle but I don't use it every day just to drive into town and back and mess around finding a parking space. Instead, I'm happy to support and (lawfully) use public transport in the city. I just want others to as well, and not smoke on baht buses.

7 hours ago, yogi100 said:

And here we have a poster who's lacking the intellect to figure out what a GGB could possibly be when he's been told it's something or somewhere people 'go in' and 'light up' when the subject under discussion is smoking. 

Either that or he's pretending to be thick in order to make petty accusations of laziness in his snidey little one line comment. Yet in his previous post assumes that everyone will know what he means when he refers to a 'Bt bus'. But none of the rest of us are that stupid that we can't figure out that he means baht bus.

I doubt there's a member of any forum related to Thailand who has actually been to Pattaya or BKK (in case that also leaves you scratching you head it is an abbreviation for Bangkok) who has not been in a gogo bar at one time or another aan't immediately figure out what is meant when someone refers to a GGB.

:bah::bah::bah: