• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

This was discussed on the other thread.

Loads of farangs doing illegal work as accountants, lawyers and architects (among other occupations) with false job descriptions and titles on their work permits.

I would imagine this will prompt another crackdown that will affect many of us here. 

Again the net tightens on those nasty foreigners.

Can you see what is happening in Thailand yet?

This have always been a problem here in Thailand and then people wonder why the visa laws are changing and immigration do crack down. Look at all the russian real estate agents, tour agents etc in jomtien. A few days ago I passed a restaurant in jomtien that had a poster that the owner did consult work for restaurants. Pretty sure it's not a legit business. Try this in other countries.

34 minutes ago, CanInBKK said:

You quantify the value of your opinion on the number of "likes" you have on a virtual forum? That's sad and unfortunate.

All you have to do to get lots of likes on this board is to make a post that bashes Thai way of thinking or some Thai law that doesn't jive with your laws "back home" and the "likes" will come flooding in. Its the same on any virtual forum including Facebook which is why "likes" are practically meaningless.

You are the life of the party, I assume?!

5 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

The xenophobia reaches new height levels.

The reason they hired a foreign designer was probably because they wanted it to be properly designed.

How about all the cars, phones, trains they import.  Thai designed??

1 hour ago, Petchou said:

Funny. This law is in place in USA, in England, France.... If you are working without permit and appropriate visa you can be arrested, jailed etc....
Why double standards?
Foreign engineers, doctors etc... Are not allowed to practice in most western countries. This is a fact. Why this farangs entitlement attitude?
Wake up, get a brain.

Thai Visa Needs more people like you and me with High Morals and agree with the Thai Way

Farangs that come here to work are immoral and taking a  job or business away from a poor 3rd worlder

This is about as xenophobic as it gets.

That the issue has even been raised, is beyond comprehension.  But I also have to wonder, why wait until the building was finished and opened for business?  Why not bring this up in the PLANNING stage?

Personally, I think it is one mother ugly building.

This is all getting a little ridiculous, I would seriously doubt that any laws have been broken at all, certainly no labour laws.

The building was designed by a foreign company that has office here in Thailand that uses Thai architects, for sure there will have been reviews and input etc. from their head office etc. no single architect designed the building, a team of them did, the Thailand side was done by Thai architects working for a legally registered Thai company, there is absolutely no law that says that a foreign wing of that company cannot consult etc. especially if this is done outside of Thailand.

Below is taken from the company website that designed the building, note who the architects are listed as:

DESIGN TEAM:

DESIGN ARCHITECT:

Buro Ole Scheeren Group
Buro Ole Scheeren (Thailand) Ltd., Registration no. น.014-58
Hok Lok Siew Design Co., Ltd. (HLS), Registration No. น. 008-54

PARTNER IN CHARGE:

Ole Scheeren

PARTNER (ADMINISTRATION):

Eric Chang

MANAGING DIRECTOR:

Jaturon Kingminghae

REGISTERED ARCHITECTS:

Wisutr Weerasilp (SA 311), Pisit Chirdkiatisak (PA 2153), Major Poonpien Thiensiri (AA.187), Jaturon Kingminghae (AA. 9854)

This building is so well designed, it's a gem among eyesores on the Bangkok skyline. I suspect backlash from the local design associations for being too good.

I asked my wifes sister about it the first time I saw it. She said the owner wanted to design a building that shows how the government and corruption in the process takes away from his building. Every official takes his share from the building. I thought it was brilliant, but maybe just a rumor.

6 hours ago, Lammbock said:

As usually. "Farang no good" 

Thailand sure loves the money we put into their system.

By the way I have been a member of this forum for 10 years. I am not a newbie Mr admin.

Edited by Don Graham

When the power line from Khanom to Samui finally broke under the sea. 

Who did the electricity authority call?

A Thai Engineer?

No, they reached out to Norway, 

and flew him in to sort out the issue on how to best engineer & design the new power lines.

Does anyone think that was illegal?

It only took four months to reroute the lines, 

due mostly because apparently no one locally could sort it out properly.

Lets not even get started on how many years Samui has waited to figure out what to do with all the garbage building up 

at the dump on the island, all the while it just keeps building up after what has been public stated, 

as more than four years worth of trash continues to build up, 

while the locals scratch their comunitive heads on who or what it's going to take to find a reasonable solution.

If one were to ask any successful Engineer / Architect where they were trained, 

chances are very high they will brag that they were educated abroad, 

not locally.

Same goes with many other professional positions held by Thai.

All will be proud to state they went abroad to receive their education, 

concerning their professional field.

So if it's something for them to be proud of, by obtaining their education abroad, 

why would it be shameful for someone from abroad to have designed the building, 

which certainly was built by people from Mayamar?

This is the age old conundrum for countries like Thailand.  Do they protect against outside competition or work to be competitive in their own right.  Sadly, Thailand's default tends to be the former and it's wrong on many levels.  I don't buy the argument that Thai architects could not be up to the job.  I have seen enough talent, skill and creativity here to know that not to be true.  The real question is why was an opportunity missed here?  Why did Thai architects not step up to the challenge - or were they even given a chance?

2 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Bhumibol Bridge 38.jpg

Leonard_P._Zakim_Bunker_Hill_Bridge_-_Boston,_MA_crop.jpg

The Rama 9 bridge  is a copy of the Leonard Zakim Bridge that was built in Boston , MA USA in 1967----The Rama 9 was finished in 2006 by the same Swiss designer --guess they will want to say that was illlegal to.   Boston bridge is in bottom photo

6 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

That's nonsense.
The designer can work from home in Europe and create the plans.
The investor buys then only the blueprints.

With that logic, should, for example, not a single computer program run here.
All are designed by foreigners and are used in Thailand.

Hey, what about programs written for ATMs?

Just now, newnative said:

Hmm.  Might need to take a look at Suvarnabhumi Airport while they are at it.  Designed by Helmut Jahn of Murphy/Jahn Architects.  

They should look at any hotel that is 4 star or above for that matter. You will find they are all part of international chains and have their own designers.