Update on getting perscription tablets in Chiang Rai

adv008

Thanks to everyone who replied to my first question.  Yes silly of me not to list the medication I need. here it is. I would like to bring 2 months supply with me giving me time to source a supply with my prescription. Any help is much appreciated.

Aspirin  75mg.   

Atorvastatin 80mg.

Bisoprolol 2.5 or may lower to 1.25mg.

Gabapentin 500mg.

Lansoprazole 30mg.

Nicorandil 20mg.

GTN spray.

Ramipril 5mg.

Ticagrelor 90mg.

Thanks.

The Moderator Sheryl will almost certainly come along and give you chapter and verse on each of the above. In the meantime, I doubt you will have a problem with any of them, they all appear to be every day common drugs hence almost certainly readily available, some perhaps under a different brand name as a result of licensing in Thailand.

Note: meds. for blood pressure/cardio/vascular/PPI/platlet related conditions are easily available here without prescription.

Most heart aspirin is 81mg here (as based on US standard 325mg 1/4 tablet).  But 75 is also available some places.

Atorvastatin 80mg is likely to be expensive as only Lipitor available many places and alternatives of the same type seem to also be high priced.  But should not be a problem obtaining if you can afford.  Simvastatin is very inexpensive here if that can be used.

No experience with the others.

This should be in health forum for best response - reporting for move.

1. You are allowed to bring in a 3 month supply of all of these meds (and they do not count the exact amounts ui.e. you could get by with a bit more even if they check you at customs, just make sure in labelled bottles and amounts consistent with personal use i.e. not suitcases full)

2. Nicorandil is not available in Thailand.  If you will be in Thailand long term I suggest you discuss with your doctor  whether you could change to an older class of drug. Nifedipine, diliateazem and isosorbide dinitrate are all available here.

3. The remaining drugs are available in Thailand in some form and with the possible exception of the GTN spray (which is unclear), do not require a prescription.  Aspirin, lansoprazole, ramipril, bisoprolol and gabapentin are all available in locally made brands though you may have to accept 81 mg aspirin instead of 75 (should not be a problem). Ticagrelor is available only as Brilinta, an expensive import  and likely to prove hard (but not impossible) to locate. Atorvastatin, as other poster said, is available only as an import and quite expensive - suggest you discuss with your doctor whether you can switch to simvastatin which is available in locally made brands.

The only brand of GTN spray here is Nitromint, imported from Hungary and likely to be very hard to find.

4. Even buying locally made generics where applicable, this is going to amount to a fair amount of money just for meds each month. You should also seriously consider how you will pay for hospitalization if required (whether for flare-up of your cardiac and other conditions or unrelated reason like an accident). A major hospitalization at a government hospital can run to 1-1.5 million baht easily; at a private hospital, 3-5 million. You are unlikely to be able to get local or expat insurance with these pre-existing conditions. Unless you already have insurance that will cover you in Thailand, try to get a travel insurance policy that includes coverage for acute exacerbations of pre-existing conditions -- or, if you will be here longer term, plan to self insure to the tune of 5 - 10  million| baht.

5. With your conditions you would be better off in Chiang Mai or Bangkok as the level of medical expertise is lower in Chiang Rai. If you must live in CR, try to be in the provincial town or short drive to CM.  The best medical expertise in the region is to be had at CMU Hospital (Suan Dok/Sri Pat).

Thank you all for replying.  They have all been very interesting to read. I have a house just outside Chiang Rai  and before my heart problems dreamed about retiring there. My best option as I see it would be to stay in Thailand 6 months of the year. I do have a good insurance policy and would not travel without one. I will look into all the suggestions you have made. And once again thanks for the very helpful comments. 

• 3 weeks later...

seems you are taking most of what i take. i have had a new aota valve and a double by-pass [2007] uk.

the meds.i see you take lansoprozole 30mg.have you HH. i was on this uk.[zoton] but since living here omeprazole,20mg twice a day.

bisoprolol 5mg.daily.

atorvastatin 80mg.thats a lot your colesteral must be high. i take bestatin 20mg. 

bp.  i take amlopine 5mg. besides others.

all these are generic and very cheap,eg.omeprazole 45bht.@ box of 14.

bisoprolol  is the most expensive 650bht.@ box of 100tabs.

bestatin @ box of 100tabs x 40mg. 320bht.

Archived