Make notoriously vague booze laws more clear, trade group urges

webfact

Make notoriously vague booze laws more clear, trade group urges

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter -

12743958_974451042631363_519956565485217

Wichian Inkraidee poses for a photo at Kacha Kacha bar. He's facing 560,000 baht in fines and a court battle for images of beer in his restaurant menu.

BANGKOK — When booze law inspectors appeared outside Wichian Inkraidee’s bar on New Year’s Eve nearly two years ago, he didn’t pay much attention to them.

The first day of 2015 was only a half hour away, and it’s customary for enforcers of Thailand’s strict alcohol laws to patrol entertainment and party venues such as the Asiatique shopping complex, where Wichian’s bar is located, for possible violations.

Full storyhttp://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2016/09/02/make-notoriously-vague-booze-laws-clear-trade-group-urges/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-09-02

so they put all this energy into managing pictures of beer on menus and ignore the fact of the death toll on the roads caused by drunk drivers and general road safety, some priorities need a serious rearrangement in this country

Yes the booze laws, as with many other in Thailand, are notoriously unclear.

I recall a few weeks ago we were told that we could not sell alcohol on certain days, and also could not 'give it away' no doubt a ploy to have an easier conviction of people caught drinking. Not sure whether this actually a law or not (I presume not) or just a pronouncement from the current rulers. Would be nice to be clear about these things as part of my business is selling alcohol, mainly wholesale but also retail in a small bar.

I for one enjoy shopping at Tesco, arriving at the checkout at I minute after 14:00 and stacking all the alcohol I can't buy on the table. Then I have to stop at any mom and pop store on the way home and buy whatever I want. The reason I enjoy it so much is because it makes absolutely no sense at all, which allows me to mutter obscenities at the f*&**ing government.