UK travel insurance when really living in thailand

Chongalulu

Although living in Thailand for almost two years I maintain a UK address (on the electoral role) although it is rented out. I'm currently in uk on holiday but due to return next week. My thoughts were to take out a uk based long term travel policy (about one year) which is much better than than the Thai based health insurance. I understand that most of these policies exclude you if you are not officially resident in uk. I know I might be bending the rules a little and that I'll only find out if it works when,if I come to claim. So I wondered in that instance how or how likely I am to be "caught out". I booked my return ticket with BA with the first leg obviously starting in Thailand,which may be one,and perhaps if I had to submit a copy of my passport my marriage visa extensions and stamps might be a give away. I'd welcome constructive comments,suggestions etc based on practicalities rather than trite condemnation that I'm trying to be disingenuous etc. Insurance companies are hardly a paragon of virtue so I regard any manipulation that would work as OK as long as I don't have too much risk of it coming apart.

this topic has been discussed many times. a travel insurance is not a health insurance.

the travel insurance , in regards to your physical health, will only cover emergency treatment or - when you are half - dead or dead - transport back to your home country.

it is a short term emergency cover and will not help you in any way once you develop prostate cancer, melanoma or diabetics.

and who - in their right mind - would like to be treated in thailand for these issues, anyway?

don't know what health care in uk is like but i would never let lapse my oz 1st class health insurance for the sake of a short term travel policy.

3 hours ago, manfredtillmann said:

this topic has been discussed many times. a travel insurance is not a health insurance.

the travel insurance , in regards to your physical health, will only cover emergency treatment or - when you are half - dead or dead - transport back to your home country.

it is a short term emergency cover and will not help you in any way once you develop prostate cancer, melanoma or diabetics.

and who - in their right mind - would like to be treated in thailand for these issues, anyway?

don't know what health care in uk is like but i would never let lapse my oz 1st class health insurance for the sake of a short term travel policy.

I should have clarified that I'm perfectly happy to take my chances on my general health due to my abstemious lifestyle and condition. What concerns me is the serious accident aspect e.g road accident which can strike at any time. Now that would be covered under emergency treatment.I agree with you about not being treated in thailand for serious illnesses and decamping back homE in the event of.

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

I should have clarified that I'm perfectly happy to take my chances on my general health due to my abstemious lifestyle and condition. What concerns me is the serious accident aspect e.g road accident which can strike at any time. Now that would be covered under emergency treatment.I agree with you about not being treated in thailand for serious illnesses and decamping back homE in the event of.

Can I just say (as someone who worked for AXA previously) that these type of claims on extended trips are scrutinised very carefully upon claim........ Many people in addition purchase month on month coverage with different companies believing it covers them. You'll find that no company will pay a claim on a travel policy when coverage went live if you were already "in" country. Helluva lot of people are unaware of that. You can contact your own coverage "in" country for an extension but any claim better be 100000% genuine. Sorry gone off subject marginally but worth pointing out when a geezer in Pattaya was telling me what he was doing every month.....

I have just arranged trip lengths of up to 94 days with my annual travel insurance.

I am still a UK resident but married to a Thai and will be in Thailand for 12 weeks.

I was honest about visiting my wife, they referred it up the chain and said as long as I was still a UK resident AND my trip started and ended in the UK I would still be covered.

If you make a claim, expect a lot of scrutiny regarding residency, electoral roll and registration with a UK GP.

15 hours ago, Chivas said:

Can I just say (as someone who worked for AXA previously) that these type of claims on extended trips are scrutinised very carefully upon claim........ Many people in addition purchase month on month coverage with different companies believing it covers them. You'll find that no company will pay a claim on a travel policy when coverage went live if you were already "in" country. Helluva lot of people are unaware of that. You can contact your own coverage "in" country for an extension but any claim better be 100000% genuine. Sorry gone off subject marginally but worth pointing out when a geezer in Pattaya was telling me what he was doing every month.....

Chivas what about companies like World Nomads who make a big splash about this on their site. NB I am not challenging the month on month coverage which I find unbelievable when you can take out 18month/2 years long stay coverage legally which I previously did with a number of different companies who all knew I was working/living in Asia at the time.

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/travel-insurance-already-overseas

World Nomads is here to help when:

• Your travel plans have changed and your current travel insurance policy will expire before you come home.
  • You’re already travelling and (oops) left home without travel insurance.
  • Your current insurer won’t let you buy more cover because you’re away from home.

With World Nomads, you can buy a policy from anywhere in the world at any time.

Just be aware that when buying while already travelling, there may be a waiting period applied before your full policy coverage kicks in but this will depend on where you’re from. The policy wording will tell you all about this too.

If you have any questions about how the policy works, or what's covered and not covered, just ask us

14 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Talk to or browse "staysure" in the Uk, that may be your answer.

Not sure they will be any better than any of the other long stay providers and their statement below is pretty unequivocal

https://www.staysure.co.uk/overseas/travel-insurance/quote

Travel eligibility statement

By proceeding to the next page you agree that you and all members of the travelling party are:

• A British National, spouse, or dependent of a British National permanently resident of your home country for six or more of the last twelve months.
  • Registered with a doctor in your home country, who will grant access to your medical records.
  • Travelling from and returning to your home country.
  • Not already travelling at the time of purchase.

On 2 September 2016 at 4:13 PM, Chivas said:

Thank you so much. Just the sort of informed and helpful response I was seeking which leads me to conclude that it probably isn't a viable option. 

On 3 September 2016 at 7:50 AM, topt said:

Chivas what about companies like World Nomads who make a big splash about this on their site. NB I am not challenging the month on month coverage which I find unbelievable when you can take out 18month/2 years long stay coverage legally which I previously did with a number of different companies who all knew I was working/living in Asia at the time.

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/travel-insurance-already-overseas

World Nomads is here to help when:

• Your travel plans have changed and your current travel insurance policy will expire before you come home.
  • You’re already travelling and (oops) left home without travel insurance.
  • Your current insurer won’t let you buy more cover because you’re away from home.

With World Nomads, you can buy a policy from anywhere in the world at any time.

Just be aware that when buying while already travelling, there may be a waiting period applied before your full policy coverage kicks in but this will depend on where you’re from. The policy wording will tell you all about this too.

If you have any questions about how the policy works, or what's covered and not covered, just ask us

This site says it doesn't cover thailand?!

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

This site says it doesn't cover thailand?!

I was replying re Chivas comments not being paid out if already "in country" when taken out however not sure why you say it doesn't cover Thailand.

I just filled in the details for a quote from today until 3rd September next year travelling to Thailand and it duly gave me a price as a UK resident which is what you were originally referring to. If you are saying your country of permanent residence is Thailand it still gave me a quote for travel to the Philippines for example but would not give me one for Thailand which makes sense to me.

afaik a requirement for purchasing longer term (1 year certainly) UK travel insurance is usually that you were resident in UK for the 6 months preceeding travels.

I used to get travel insurance as the cover amounts are far higher than I could afford to buy in Thailand and I wanted it mainly for accident coverage etc rather than health cover. I now have a Thai health and accident cover with a sizeable excess to keep the price down, but would rather have UK travel insurance. Not prepared to have it ruled invalid though because I was not in UK for 6 months before flying out.

Edited by twix38

You must also check for how many consecutive days you can be out of your home country. Some policies allow 30 days and others 90 days. Why not look at proper health cover which will cost you +- $ 500 per year for inpatient cover which would be world wide excluding the US. Look at Pacific Rim insurance brokers I see they advertise on FB but cant say if they are ok or not. 

I'm also a UK resident with my own property. 

I've spoken to my UK bank who were offering a long term travel health policy (max stay 6 months) 

I wanted to be explicitly clear so phoned the company spoke to the claims dept at length. 

They were perfectly happy for me to travel worldwide (as an upgrade cost) for a duration of 6 months max from UK departure date to return date. 

Once I was back in the UK, I'm free to do another trip again 6 month length. 

I was open and honest with them and they understood exactly what I was doing. 

I'm retired and travelling the world with stays not exceeding 6 months.

Would like to mention I've not had to make a claim yet!! 

On 2 September 2016 at 7:20 PM, nchuckle said:

If that's the case why don't you purchase accident only coverage? It's relatively cheap, especially compared to full health coverage.

This topic has been discussed many times and as an ex-insurance professional I would advise anyone against attempting to use travel insurance for extended stays, especially if you have long-stay visas/extensions of stay in your passport.

If I were handling your claim and had any suspicions I would ask to see your passport or a full copy and would ultimately almost certainly deny liability.

You might get away with it but is it worth it?

3 minutes ago, madmitch said:

If that's the case why don't you purchase accident only coverage? It's relatively cheap, especially compared to full health coverage.

This topic has been discussed many times and as an ex-insurance professional I would advise anyone against attempting to use travel insurance for extended stays, especially if you have long-stay visas/extensions of stay in your passport.

If I were handling your claim and had any suspicions I would ask to see your passport or a full copy and would ultimately almost certainly deny liability.

You might get away with it but is it worth it?

I've spoken to my UK bank who were offering a long term travel health policy (max stay 6 months) 

I wanted to be explicitly clear so phoned the company spoke to the claims dept at length. 

They were perfectly happy for me to travel worldwide (as an upgrade cost) for a duration of 6 months max from UK departure date to return date. 

6 minutes ago, ketherin said:

Your circumstances appear different to the OP. You will be fine.

'Insurance companies are hardly a paragon of virtue ...' I assume you are referring to all, not one paragon. I'm equally sure the idea that scams of any kind might well be interpreted as misrepresentation (at best), fraud (at worst), by the companies, and the law, and that they help to push up premiums for everyone, doesn't enter into the equation.

Part of the Terms and Conditions on my UK Travel Insurance was I had to have been resident 6 months prior to taking the policy out. It was for 90 Day trips and providided I returned to the UK even for an hour it was valid for another 90 Days.

i enquired about renewing it last year, explained I hadn't been resident in the UK for 6 months, it was referred to the Underwriters who said no problem and give me another year. It has now expired, when I return to the UK I will possibly try again.

i do believe if they check you Passport in the event of a claim they might say you cannot use Travel Insurance as Health Insurance although I suppose you could say you spend 'extended' holidays in Thailand, not sure if it's worth the risk. I currently have Accident Insurance just now through Bangkok Insurance.

5 hours ago, twix38 said:

afaik a requirement for purchasing longer term (1 year certainly) UK travel insurance is usually that you were resident in UK for the 6 months preceeding travels.

I used to get travel insurance as the cover amounts are far higher than I could afford to buy in Thailand and I wanted it mainly for accident coverage etc rather than health cover. I now have a Thai health and accident cover with a sizeable excess to keep the price down, but would rather have UK travel insurance. Not prepared to have it ruled invalid though because I was not in UK for 6 months before flying out.

Hi twix38, would you mind saying what Thai policy you have, I'm currently self-insured but might be interested in high emergency cover, thanks.

5 hours ago, ketherin said:

I just hope you recorded the conversation which includes the name position/employee number

or had confirmation in writing. You have to be absolutely honest with insurance companies who

will happily take your money and only when you make a claim do a vigorous background check

for "pre-existing conditions" etc looking for any loophole to not pay. From getting emergency

treatments approved before treatment (unless unconscious). It is important to

understand what is a pre-existing condition and the related emergencies which are then

no longer covered. Policies are a minefield. Just as and example, you may have high blood pressure

that is controlled by medication. If you were to answer no to the question "do you have high blood

pressure" your policy is compromised. You may think you do not have high blood pressure because it

is controlled by medication, but that is not how insurance companies see it. If you answer yes

you have high blood pressure but controlled by medication, most policies will charge you a higher

premium and still deny a claim on a heart attack or stroke as they may be related to your high

blood pressure. That said a good experienced insurance broker can stick handle your way through

the minefield and get the coverage you want. Just remember it is not about buying a policy, that

is easy, the difficult thing is being reimbursed or better yet having your treatment paid for directly

by your insurer. Many, many, travelers are blissfully unaware that the travel insurance they

have signed up for and paid for does not cover them. As emergencies are generally rare they

are blissfully ignorant until the emergency happens. Remember insurance companies don't make

money paying claims. Be fully honest, read the fine print and use an insurance broker who understands

the minefield. Happy travels. :D

Listen mate, if they won't pay out when you need them to, then the insurance is useless.

If you pay the premium and never claim you have wasted the money.

That is the nature of health insurance and other insurances, and it looks to me you are giving them an excuse not to pay out.  They are not responsible for ensuring you qualify prior to taking out the policy, but they sure will confirm it if you make a claim. Be sure of the terms and conditions. I agree long-term travel insurance looks a lot better than the health insurance available within Thailand, and I know some who spend most of their time here who also use travel insurance. But they still work and have a residence in their home country. I think you do not qualify.

Take a look at some of the sad cases of people getting sick or having accidents without valid or sufficient cover here in Thai hospitals. You need to be certain where you stand.

Edited by jacko45k

I have an AXA medical insurance policy from the UK with my residential area as "Thailand" since this is where I reside most of the time. I cancelled the AXA travel insurance add-on when I later learned it only covers "return journeys" to the principal country of residence i.e. Thailand and not when I travel around without a confirmed return ticket. Travel insurance trip lengths are limited to 90 or 95 days maximum per trip and 183 days per year. Beware the travel insurance requirement that you have to return to your home country and need evidence of that i.e. a return ticket of some sorts

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/09/2016 at 3:47 AM, nchuckle said:

Thanks to you all for the high calibre of answers which largely confirmed my doubts about this strategy. I'm back in thailand now and accident only insurance seems the best option so any recommendations on good policy providers is appreciated. I'm 64.

The policy provider I use  requires the trip to originate and terminate in the UK. You would therefore presumably need to book a 1-way flight from Thailand and then a return trip UK-Thailand-UK. Can you consider this?

Edited by SheungWan

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/09/2016 at 9:47 AM, nchuckle said:

Thanks to you all for the high calibre of answers which largely confirmed my doubts about this strategy. I'm back in thailand now and accident only insurance seems the best option so any recommendations on good policy providers is appreciated. I'm 64.

Having used them for a number of years you could do worse than ask BSI Broker (Thailand) for a quote covering your requirements. Previously a Brit Expat was my contact before his business was taken over by them prior passing away due to health reasons.