Marriage visa.....NOT

I have always had good experiences at Phuket Immigration. Went in last week to switch to Marriage Visa. Had all the documents including my wife's stuff, pics, money, etc. after nearly 3 1/2 hours at 5pm (they are supposed to close at 4:30) they informed me I would have to return the next day to pick up my passport as there wasn't anybody there to sign....they had gone home. So I swung by there the next day and got my passport and went home. When I looked in my passport I realized I now had a Retirement Extension good till Sept 2017. I will return on Monday to talk with them, but I don't hold out much hope they will correct their mistake....if it was a mistake. Has anybody else had this kind of experience? Friends have told me that it is deliberate to frustrate me, and to block me from the correct visa. Frustrating!

Edited by Mansell

Happened to me once because l had enough money in bank long enough for them to give me a retirement extension, on asking they just said you no need marriage extension.

Next time only showed marriage money requirement, with that you have to return later on, at the date they stamped your passport for it to be stamped again for 1 year. 

If you are 50 or over the only way to be sure you get an extension based upon marriage is not to show enough financial proof to get one based upon retirement. You are not the first one to get something that you didn't want.

I don't think you will be able to get them to change it. If you want one based upon marriage so you can work you will probably have to leave the country without a re-entry permit and get a new non-o visa.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are 50 or over the only way to be sure you get an extension based upon marriage is not to show enough financial proof to get one based upon retirement. You are not the first one to get something that you didn't want.

I don't think you will be able to get them to change it. If you want one based upon marriage so you can work you will probably have to leave the country without a re-entry permit and get a new non-o visa.

Question for ubonjoe, does the marriage visa entitle you to work or does it aid in getting / applying for a work visa?

20 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Question for ubonjoe, does the marriage visa entitle you to work or does it aid in getting / applying for a work visa?

There is no work visa. Only a work permit allows you to work.

With a non-o visa or an extension of stay based upon marriage you can get a work permit  and work. You can also use income from working to meet the 40k baht income requirement for the extension.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

With a non-o visa or an extension of stay based upon marriage you can get a work permit  and work. You can also use income from working to meet the 40k baht income requirement for the extension.

Thanks for the reply appreciate it

Unless things have changed, Phuket Labour office wont issue a work permit on a Non O marriage anyway, I tried with a valid Non O multi and they made me leave to get a Non B (there was a lot of time left on the valid visa also). It was a few years ago and others at the time were having to do it also. Why I never did really understand because all the rules said you could,  but they insisted they wanted workers on a Non B.

2 hours ago, alphason said:

Unless things have changed, Phuket Labour office wont issue a work permit on a Non O marriage anyway, I tried with a valid Non O multi and they made me leave to get a Non B (there was a lot of time left on the valid visa also). It was a few years ago and others at the time were having to do it also. Why I never did really understand because all the rules said you could,  but they insisted they wanted workers on a Non B.

OP is talking about extension of stay. I have had a workpermit with extension of stay based on marriage for years and years already in Phuket.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

What difference does it make?

How much you need in the bank for a start.

Also effects whether dependants can get a visa on the back of yours. 

The retirement visa in this case is a plus for whatever reason Thailand thinks this way.

If you can actually find out what visa suits you go for it. I have been really screwed around for months over non issues and wrong advice from immigration and others.

11 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

How much you need in the bank for a start.

Also effects whether dependants can get a visa on the back of yours. 

The retirement visa in this case is a plus for whatever reason Thailand thinks this way.

If you can actually find out what visa suits you go for it. I have been really screwed around for months over non issues and wrong advice from immigration and others.

If your dependents are children from a previous marriage they can get extensions based upon your extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If your dependents are children from a previous marriage they can get extensions based upon your extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai..

Ubonjoe I  totally respect your knowledge on visa issues.

My 11 year old daughter is travels on an Australian passport. There is no real problem but she could not get a so called 'follow on' visa on the back of my marriage visa, the reason for this defies my logic but you may know much better.

33 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

" I tried with a valid Non O multi a "

You're confusing visas and extensions of stay. For that matter the O/P was talking about a "marriage visa," but he was actually looking to get an extension of stay based on marriage, not a visa.

I know the difference, just didn't realise there would be a difference if I was on a Multi entry Non O (based on marriage) doing 90 day border runs, or if I was on a Non O with an extension of stay. So if I had applied for or already had an extension of stay based on marriage then the Labour department woud have accepted my work permit application, on a Non O  without making me change to the Non B?

(seems odd to apply for a marriage extension in order to get a work work permit when already holding a valid visa, I guess it saves them having to do a working extension at immigration but why the Labour office would be bothrered about that I am not sure?), Not that it matters it was a few years ago anyway.

14 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

Ubonjoe I  totally respect your knowledge on visa issues.

My 11 year old daughter is travels on an Australian passport. There is no real problem but she could not get a so called 'follow on' visa on the back of my marriage visa, the reason for this defies my logic but you may know much better.

We are discussing extensions not visas.  You might find it hard get her a multiple entry non-o visa for her if that is what you have.

From clause 2.18 of police order 327/2557 that is for extensions based upon marriage to a Thai.

(4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse's children, said children, adopted children, or spouse's children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age except in case of the person hereof is of illness or disability and cannot live without support of father or mother:

Ubonjoe  I  have been refused a dependents visa for my daughter as I  have a marriage visa. Apparently if I  had a retirement visa it would not be an issue.

Defies my logic but there it is.

One can never be sure of the information handed out by various government offices, sometimes conflicting. 

I have just come back from my second trip to Vientiane to correct the previous problems caused by bad advice.

The immigration office told me they thought  my daughter was my wife's child and that was why they initially accepted the application as a dependent.  Well if that was the case she wouldn't have needed a visa at all, once again huh.

We had to go and obtain an entry as a non o ed visa. Not really sure what advantage this is to anybody as she was in the country anyway. 

Maybe you can uderstand all this but it doesn't make much sense to me.

Thank you for your previous response,  much appreciated.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Ubon Joe, a word here please? 

to continue my non o marriage extension without having 400 000 Bhts for 2 months while officially earning, (with WP etc) 33,000 Bht/month I was told that I had to have the 40,000/month & you couldn't combine savings & income  on a marriage non o extension as you can on a retirement non o ??

Just now, zyphodb said:

Ubon Joe, a word here please? 

to continue my non o marriage extension without having 400 000 Bhts for 2 months while officially earning, (with WP etc) 33,000 Bht/month I was told that I had to have the 40,000/month & you couldn't combine savings & income  on a marriage non o extension as you can on a retirement non o ??

There is no combination of income and money in the bank allowed for an extension based upon marriage.

There are reports of Bangkok immigration allowing a combination in certain cases. But those are rarely done.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

We are discussing extensions not visas.  You might find it hard get her a multiple entry non-o visa for her if that is what you have.

From clause 2.18 of police order 327/2557 that is for extensions based upon marriage to a Thai.

Yes but no where does it state what visa the guardian must have.

7 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

Yes but no where does it state what visa the guardian must have.

To apply for the extension a non immigrant visa entry is required which in most cases it is a non-o visa.

You would not be the guardian of your own child. You are their parent. Immigration does not use the term guardian for any extension.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

To apply for the extension a non immigrant visa entry is required which in most cases it is a non-o visa.

You would not be the guardian of your own child. You are their parent. Immigration does not use the term guardian for any extension.

See the difficulty us normal  farangs face. I had previously read the information  you helpfully provided and I could not see a problem.

As stated in another earlier post, Kap Cheong immigration accepted the daughters visa application and took 24 hour before they said this was impossible on a marriage visa. Even your well intentioned and instructive information still does not show me how I cannot have a dependent if I am on a marriage visa instead of a retirement visa.

Anyway the whole thing has changed now and I have my daughter entered on a non O ED visa, and now she can be on an education visa.

Problem is solved but a huge lot of misinformation was given from immigration, who failed to assess my own visa status, and a firm of lawyers, same.

P****d me off and cost me a lot of money and time not to mention 13 hours driving.

4 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

See the difficulty us normal  farangs face. I had previously read the information  you helpfully provided and I could not see a problem.

As stated in another earlier post, Kap Cheong immigration accepted the daughters visa application and took 24 hour before they said this was impossible on a marriage visa. Even your well intentioned and instructive information still does not show me how I cannot have a dependent if I am on a marriage visa instead of a retirement visa.

Anyway the whole thing has changed now and I have my daughter entered on a non O ED visa, and now she can be on an education visa.

Problem is solved but a huge lot of misinformation was given from immigration, who failed to assess my own visa status, and a firm of lawyers, same.

P****d me off and cost me a lot of money and time not to mention 13 hours driving.

They were wrong. It is clearly shown in the police order. It is one of the cases where a call to 1111 or 1178 might of sorted it out.

You daughter was applying for an extension. Kap Cheong would not be able to do a non immigrant visa for her.

I don't want to draw this out with useless exchanges. 

My daughter now has a non Imm Ed visa and Kap Cheong have already told me this can then made into a proper ed visa year with the usual 90 day stuff.

We will need to wear this visa down to less than 45 says before they will issue the actual ed visa.

Mate, I don't understand enough about all this but I believe we have worked our way through this expensive, and time wasting nightmare.

I will post again if further problems arise.

Your intelligent and knowledgeable posts I am sure have helped many members, keep up the good work.

1 hour ago, maoro2013 said:

I don't want to draw this out with useless exchanges. 

My daughter now has a non Imm Ed visa and Kap Cheong have already told me this can then made into a proper ed visa year with the usual 90 day stuff.

We will need to wear this visa down to less than 45 says before they will issue the actual ed visa.

Mate, I don't understand enough about all this but I believe we have worked our way through this expensive, and time wasting nightmare.

I will post again if further problems arise.

Your intelligent and knowledgeable posts I am sure have helped many members, keep up the good work.

One thing that might go some way to help you understand a bit better is that there is no such

thing as a marriage or retirement VISA they are extensions of permission to stay not VISAs.