Dane remains imprisoned in Thailand

webfact

Dane remains imprisoned in Thailand

by Maria Jønsson 

Peter-jensen1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Danish Peter Jensen, who has been imprisoned in Thailand since November 2014, remains incarcerated. A case that the 50-year-old Dane has already won in two instances is still in the Thai legal system blocking for him to get back to Denmark.

On 5 November 2014, Danish Peter Jensen from the Northern Jutland in Denmark was arrested in Phuket, Thailand, as a result of an arrest warrant from Denmark. The warrant was sent from the Danish government due to VAT and tax fraud concerning more than 8 million DKK. After a year in Phuket Provincial Prison, he was sentenced to another 18 months due to a debt that has been accumulated during his imprisonment.

Peter Jensen has been acquitted in his case twice, but now the case is to be tested by the Thai Supreme Court where the processing time can be long. The 50-year-old Dane has been told to expect between five and eight years of processing time and that this period will be spend behind bars.

Full story: http://scandasia.com/dane-remains-imprisoned-in-thailand/

-- ScandAsia 2016-09-05

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

8 years in a Thai prison while going through the Thai (in)justice system because of a debt he owes the Dutch government - is there something I'm missing?? :blink:

What do the Dutch have to do with it?

I don't get it,  so Denmark wanted him back in arrest than why the Thai don't send him back? That's all they asked for isn't it?

3 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

8 years in a Thai prison while going through the Thai (in)justice system because of a debt he owes the Dutch government - is there something I'm missing?? :blink:

Danish government.

But why aren't they getting involved as it was their warrant that has put this poor bloke where he is?

Crazy, crazy world.

9 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

I'm thinking he had a lot of money in a Thai bank which has now disappeared.

Easier to keep him in a Thai jail, than explain where the money has gone.

I think it was more than just his money, but family home and assets sold off and now they want to keep it so gaol until a mystery illness takes him.

So after 12 months in prison not being able to work he accumilated a debt that required him to spend a further 18 months in a thai prison.  I  presume this debt is to thailand prison authorities for his rice and cell.  A guy who has been aquitted will be held until he pays his prison bill to thailand.  Everyday he spends inside racks up extra hours.  He has just got a life sentence.  

25 minutes ago, Thian said:

What do the Dutch have to do with it?

I don't get it,  so Denmark wanted him back in arrest than why the Thai don't send him back? That's all they asked for isn't it?

25 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Danish government.

But why aren't they getting involved as it was their warrant that has put this poor bloke where he is?

Crazy, crazy world.

Yes, wrong nationality - my mistake.

I was justly so flabbergasted by the outright idiocy of the situation!

I thought very high about the Danes, after the tsunami they immediatly approached me if i was allright, even i'm not a Dane. (My own embassy-employee was somewhere in the back with a piece of cardboard trying to get attention).

And now they do nothing to get him (and the money he has) back? Strange story.

8 minutes ago, FloridaExport said:

It's a curious situation. Whenever a rich Thai person gets arrested, they are free on bail until the supreme court hearing. I wonder if he had the same option. If he is found not guilty by the supreme court, will they somehow add 9 years to his life as compensation?

There's been a couple recently that fell down and died recently. That land office chap for one.

Ones with important family and friends get off, but those who are isolated die quickly.

Edited by MissAndry

1 hour ago, Thian said:

And now they do nothing to get him (and the money he has) back? Strange story.

I think there's more to this story , maybe he did something wrong inside Thailand as well ? 

I think this story is worded incorrectly.  Perhaps, he had a problem here. This problem is the one they are keeping him here for. The prosecutor wants to retry a case in the Supreme Court. After two aquittals?? 

2 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

Yes it's the Danish government !!! not the Dutch.

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

So after 12 months in prison not being able to work he accumilated a debt that required him to spend a further 18 months in a thai prison.  I  presume this debt is to thailand prison authorities for his rice and cell.  A guy who has been aquitted will be held until he pays his prison bill to thailand.  Everyday he spends inside racks up extra hours.  He has just got a life sentence.  

That would make sense if it contained any sense.  Prisoners don't pay for their time or their prison-provided food in Thailand. 

Yes, the article is very strange.  Normally, a person who is found innocent in a lower or lower courts will be granted bail pending appeal. Even Thais found guilty initially are granted bail pending appeals. There is something (or a lot of things) that is definitely missing in this article.

2 hours ago, MissAndry said:

I'm thinking he had a lot of money in a Thai bank which has now disappeared.

Easier to keep him in a Thai jail, than explain where the money has gone.

His house , cars and various other objects were sold off. Not only that his thai wife was put in prison. 

He ran a ganja coffee shop in his country which is legal. However he did not pay his taxes. The Thai authorities imprisoned he and his wife and confiscated all their property because that business is illegal in Thailand. All of his assets are sold off by authorities,  If he were to win in supreme court, he would be able to sue for compensation every man and his dog. Highly unlikely he will win in supreme Court. There's too much at stake. 

17 minutes ago, pookiki said:

Yes, the article is very strange.  Normally, a person who is found innocent in a lower or lower courts will be granted bail pending appeal. Even Thais found guilty initially are granted bail pending appeals. There is something (or a lot of things) that is definitely missing in this article.

I think he was found innocent in his own country.he was accused of avoiding taxes, but found innocent.  Not in Thailand. 

Marijauna shops are legal in his country. But due to thai thinking, they feel the money he earned and the assets he bought with that money is illegal because it was made from owning drug cafes. 

The confusion re Dutch/Danish stems from the fact that this case is very similar to the Dutch guy who was sentenced in Thailand for VAT issues to do with his chain of marijuana cafes in Holland. In both cases the principle is just wrong and both should be extradited forthwith. Crazy.

Or he is wanted in Denmark.  Came here to avoid his problems there. Then got into additional problems here. Was acquitted twice, then an arrest warrant from Denmark arrived. They arrested him. In the meantime. The Thai prosecutor wants to take his case, the Thai case to the Thai Supreme Court.  Sounds like there is a valuable case being actively pursued by the Thai prosecutor.  And perhaps this new debt is even further reasons to continue on to the Supreme Court here.