Hotel requires 3000 Baht security deposit

Xircal

The only hotel where I've seen this practice was the H2M hotel in Chiang Rai. 500 baht deposit refunded the next day, no problem.

A couple of years ago, we went in a loop around Issan from Chiang Mai - Phitsanulok, Korat, Buriram, Udon Thani, Loei, Uttaradit. Low season. Was never asked for a deposit.

Mind you,I don't stay in 5 star hotels. Waste of money.As long as the room is clean and has aircon, that's all I need.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Lets keep this simple. 

Deposits are fine, as long as they use the customers card to 'block' the funds. 

Cash deposit is bs .... It should only come into play if the customer has no cards. 

I stay at sandy spring .... I usually pay my room rate for my entire stay upon checking in. On my instructions, mini bar has been cleared before i move in. Never had a problem. 

As you can see, amongst others in this thread, quite a few people prefer a cash deposit over cc block.

9 hours ago, madmitch said:

Most larger hotels swipe your card which is, effectively giving them a blank cheque. I've never had a problem with this personally, nor would I have a problem with a cash deposit; it'll be returned provided there's no loss or damage to any of their property.

Has anyone here ever failed to have a deposit returned or had their card charged for an invalid reason?

At our guesthouse we do sometimes charge extra for damage, though don't take a deposit, the largest amounts being for the replacements of a mattress and a washing machine. Interesting stories relating to both those incidents! 

Wasn't me !

It's amazing the deals one can get in the Issan region in low season. It did help having a Thai GF who could read signs for hotels tucked away off the beaten track. I was usually paying 500 -600 baht a night. I did lash out and pay 900 baht for a hotel in Udon Thani. Room there was the same standard as a Marriot or Hilton. A 450 room hotel in Buriram had just three customers.

My favorite trick was to stay in a lower-cost room overnight, then go to the biggest hotel in town for a buffet breakfast for 200-300 baht. We travelled for 3 weeks. Could have kept on going, the daily cost was about the same as propping in CM.

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

Lets keep this simple. 

Deposits are fine, as long as they use the customers card to 'block' the funds. 

Cash deposit is bs .... It should only come into play if the customer has no cards. 

I stay at sandy spring .... I usually pay my room rate for my entire stay upon checking in. On my instructions, mini bar has been cleared before i move in. Never had a problem. 

Is that an American guy?

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

New trend? No.

My preferred place in Pattaya always requested a 2000 Baht deposit.

They don't fancy to reserve a room in heavily booked high season just for a no show.

Sleep With Me requires full payment in advance at the time of booking so if you happen to book two or three months in advance like I do, the hotel already has payment and will make a handsome profit on the deal if the guest fails to turn up.

I also think that 1100 Baht for the airport transfer is way over the top. C&N just up the road offers a free airport pickup for just three nights stay provided the guest books directly through their site and not via Agoda or one of the other booking agencies. The return trip isn't free, but only costs 700 Baht. That implies SWM is making an extra 400 Baht over and above the usual fee they charge the taxi driver.

Even the 5 star Patong Resort which is opposite SWM (behind the buildings) only charges 900 Baht airport transfer.

Charging 1100 Baht just speaks of pure greed.

I have stayed in hotels all over Asia and found no distinction between high and moderate end hotels asking for deposits, all I can say is it is very hit and miss,some do and some do not.

Even in  Udon Thani at a cheap hotel of 900 baht a night, they had no mini bar but a fridge with two bottles of water but wanted 500 baht for the room key deposit. It's no problem, it's just they all have different quirks. Yet, I stay regularly at the Tawana in Bangkok, rated as a four star at 2,500 baht a night and they ask me for nothing, however,I am known there and have stayed for 20 years regularly as a guest.

The strangest I had was in Halong Bay, Vietnam. Every piece was itemized and priced in the room including teaspoons. A room check was done before you were allowed to leave the premises and although polite to you, you were not leaving until that room had been verified as all was present and correct.

That was not the strange part which was in the dining room for breakfast where a    standing sign was in the center of the table stating that there was a $20 fine for any food from the buffet left behind on the table that wasn't eaten!!! 

Apparently, they were fed up at the hotel of Asian guests piling their plates up with " eyes bigger than their bellies " and the waste that occurred. I did laugh to myself, only the. Vietnamese can be so hard faced! 

17 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I have stayed in hotels all over Asia and found no distinction between high and moderate end hotels asking for deposits, all I can say is it is very hit and miss,some do and some do not.

Even in  Udon Thani at a cheap hotel of 900 baht a night, they had no mini bar but a fridge with two bottles of water but wanted 500 baht for the room key deposit. It's no problem, it's just they all have different quirks. Yet, I stay regularly at the Tawana in Bangkok, rated as a four star at 2,500 baht a night and they ask me for nothing, however,I am known there and have stayed for 20 years regularly as a guest.

The strangest I had was in Halong Bay, Vietnam. Every piece was itemized and priced in the room including teaspoons. A room check was done before you were allowed to leave the premises and although polite to you, you were not leaving until that room had been verified as all was present and correct.

That was not the strange part which was in the dining room for breakfast where a    standing sign was in the center of the table stating that there was a $20 fine for any food from the buffet left behind on the table that wasn't eaten!!! 

Apparently, they were fed up at the hotel of Asian guests piling their plates up with " eyes bigger than their bellies " and the waste that occurred. I did laugh to myself, only the. Vietnamese can be so hard faced! 

You think 900 baht a night in Udon Thani is cheap? :w00t:

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

Well I use a small friendly clean hotel often in Ramkamhaeng area. Their room rate is 900Baht per day incl. breakfast.

They recently started a new policy:

- Western and Thai guests, no deposit on check-in needed.

- Chinese guests, room rate 900BAht per day, does NOT include breakfast and cannot access the breakfast buffet. Have to order breakfast from a menu, around 50BAht per person payable in cash in advance. Nothing can be charged to the room. 1,000Baht refundable deposit on check-in for 1 night stay, plus additional 1,000 deposit payable each day for additional nights, all deducted from the final bill.

- Indian and Pakistani guests  (very few in reality).  Room rate 900BAht per day, does NOT include breakfast and cannot access the breakfast buffet. Have to order breakfast from a menu, around 50Baht per person, payable in cash in advance. Nothing can be charged to the room. 5,000Baht cash refundable deposit must be paid on arrival or cannot go to the room, for 1 night stay, plus additional 2,000 deposit payable each day for additional nights, all deducted from the final bill. Have to sign a document to acknowledge all their bags must be inspected before they can leave the hotel.

Why? Some minor problems with Chinese but 8 times out of 10 very tricky Indian and Pakistani guests. Final straw, recently Indian family booked on-line (no deposit) to attend a seminar at same hotel, they arrived, stayed 10 nights, lots of food and laundry charged to the room, then just disappeared, nobody noticed they left. Sheets, pillow cases, towels also disappeared, final unpaid bill around 150,000Baht. Hotel owner asked several times for a progress payment, always an excuse but no payment. Seminar operator refused to disclose any further information on this family. 

I don't blame the hotel owner for now demanding deposits.

In the position of the hotel owner, I'd also be putting the seminar operator on a national blacklist.

1 minute ago, bazza40 said:

In the position of the hotel owner, I'd also be putting the seminar operator on a national blacklist.

Actually something like that did happen. The hotel owner was conned by a Thai woman who claimed she ran seminars on liaison between Thai and Indian companies trading companies, turned out on closer scrutiny she was the mask for a Thai-Indian con artist who has a list of convictions for fraud as long as your arm. 

The hotel, from my understanding did have 2 more Indian families turn up but they refused to allow the hotel to hold their passports or their return travel documents*, refused to pay a deposit or sign an understanding that their luggage would be searched before they could leave. The hotel owner told them to leave the premises or he would call the police.  (*In fact valueless for security, airlines re-issue booking e-mails quickly and without question to any caller.) 

Update:

- Hotel owner discovered that many Bkk hotels refuse to accept Indian guests.

- Indian & Paki. guests now totally banned from this hotel, regardless of 'the story' and regardless of time they arrive.  

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Actually something like that did happen. The hotel owner was conned by a Thai woman who claimed she ran seminars on liaison between Thai and Indian companies trading companies, turned out on closer scrutiny she was the mask for a Thai-Indian con artist who has a list of convictions for fraud as long as your arm. 

The hotel, from my understanding did have 2 more Indian families turn up but they refused to allow the hotel to hold their passports or their return travel documents*, refused to pay a deposit or sign an understanding that their luggage would be searched before they could leave. The hotel owner told them to leave the premises or he would call the police.  (*In fact valueless for security, airlines re-issue booking e-mails quickly and without question to any caller.) 

Update:

- Hotel owner discovered that many Bkk hotels refuse to accept Indian guests.

- Indian & Paki. guests now totally banned from this hotel, regardless of 'the story' and regardless of time they arrive.  

It's a similar  situation in CM, the Chinese tourists won't get served in some shops because the owners regard them as too much trouble. They are told to leave.

What I find puzzling about the Chinese is when it's a one-on-one situation, they are polite and helpful. In a group, they become pushy, rude and demanding.

I imagine that many of the posts using the word 'hotel' actually mean 'guest house' (in Thailand at least).  I stay in a large GH in CM and pay monthly rental of 9,000.  When I arrive I pay the month in advance plus 9,000 deposit i.e.18000.  I don't mind because there is absolutely no problem in getting it back.  In fact they are usually running after  me and pleading for me to come to the desk.  Because I stay for some months and my monthly expenses are so little (I don't use aircon) they take it out of the deposit at the end.  In GHs in Bkk I have been asked for 500 for the key, because so many people walk off with them.  I have stayed at the Malaysia Hotel in Bkk.  They did not ask for any deposit.  I don't mind as long as the amount is reasonable and I have no problem getting it back.  The latter being important.

I think it sort of depends on a few things which is what is the deposit for, and if you are using a credit card. 

In the past I have paid a deposit because I refuse to use my Credit Card in hotel in Thailand anymore. Even once in a 5 star hotel. I had my card information stolen two times this way and I don't want to make it 3 times. I would rather pay my room charge after I check in, which in most cases they won't charge me a deposit after that.

If you want access to a mini bar or telephone and don't use a credit card or pay for your room when you check in, then most times they will ask for a deposit. When it comes to paying your bill they will just deduct the deposit from that amount. So paying a deposit greater than your hotel bill is a bit odd.

How much is a room for a night their? 

15 minutes ago, bazza40 said:

It's a similar  situation in CM, the Chinese tourists won't get served in some shops because the owners regard them as too much trouble. They are told to leave.

What I find puzzling about the Chinese is when it's a one-on-one situation, they are polite and helpful. In a group, they become pushy, rude and demanding.

I've been told promptly to leave  shops in Shanghai. My female work colleague from Hong Kong also told promptly to leave once the shop owner quickly realized the Chinese dialect is HK. 

Had a mate over last June stayed at Amari garden in Pattaya all booked through travel agent in UK as a package. Hotel asked him for a room deposit of 25000 bht on a credit card which would be refunded if room was ok when he left. No chance was his reply. Got hold of travel agent in UK they sorted it out with hotel. I had never heard of this before and have stayed in many hotels.

35 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I think it sort of depends on a few things which is what is the deposit for, and if you are using a credit card. 

In the past I have paid a deposit because I refuse to use my Credit Card in hotel in Thailand anymore. Even once in a 5 star hotel. I had my card information stolen two times this way and I don't want to make it 3 times. I would rather pay my room charge after I check in, which in most cases they won't charge me a deposit after that.

If you want access to a mini bar or telephone and don't use a credit card or pay for your room when you check in, then most times they will ask for a deposit. When it comes to paying your bill they will just deduct the deposit from that amount. So paying a deposit greater than your hotel bill is a bit odd.

I had my credit card cloned at Phuket International Airport,hiring a jeep to drive to Ranong then a boat to the Andaman Club for a visa run,from a National company that are rather green I believe?They spent USD $1,500 in Gimha Airport,Korea a place I'd never been! :bah:

28 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

On the hotel's own site, the rate is quoted at 2865 Baht for one or two nights from 12 December with a 200 Baht discount for longer. On booking agencies like Booking.com price is the same, but they quote the usual bovine faeces rates which they 'discount' to give the impression they're offering you a bargain but which arrive at the same amount you pay if you book with the hotel directly.

6 minutes ago, MyFrenU said:

I had my credit card cloned at Phuket International Airport,hiring a jeep to drive to Ranong then a boat to the Andaman Club for a visa run,from a National company that are rather green I believe?They spent USD $1,500 in Gimha Airport,Korea a place I'd never been! :bah:

That sounds about the same for me to. Using it in places I have never been to before, which I guess brought out the red flag. 

The strange thing was that the second time I  was on the phone to Visa in one country, and someone was using my Credit Card at the exact same moment in another. I don't know if they caught that person then, as they will never tell you, but I do know it was a lot easier to convince them it wasn't me trying to cheat them. 

5 minutes ago, Xircal said:

On the hotel's own site, the rate is quoted at 2865 Baht for one or two nights from 12 December with a 200 Baht discount for longer. On booking agencies like Booking.com price is the same, but they quote the usual bovine faeces rates which they 'discount' to give the impression they're offering you a bargain but which arrive at the same amount you pay if you book with the hotel directly.

So if that is the room rate then 3,000 Baht deposit seems fare. If you pay for your room when you first check in they may not charge you a deposit. If they do then don't pay them right away and just give them the deposit. I have never had a problem ever getting my deposit back, or at least taking it off my room price, but there is always a first time for everything.

But good point in bringing up these great discount places. Most times they charge you more then what you have to pay at the front desk when you check in, or especially trying to make your own deal. At least this has been my very limited experience with them.  

1 hour ago, Gillyflower said:

I imagine that many of the posts using the word 'hotel' actually mean 'guest house' (in Thailand at least).

Yes, I agree with that. I think this is also part of the problem. In order to try and attract business Thai owned businesses are very fond of misrepresenting accommodation using terms like 'boutique hotel' and 'Resort and Spa' to describe what is little more than a guesthouse or in some cases, just a glorified backpackers establishment.

I discovered that myself when I stayed at White's in Soi Sansabai a few years ago. I thought I was getting a bargain at 1800 Baht for a 'boutique hotel', but it was just a guesthouse without a lift even. The furniture was the usual tacky style you find in all cheap hotels in Thailand and although the bed was fairly comfortable, that was the full extent of the 'boutiqueness'. Never again.

Edited by Xircal
correct spelling mistake

1 minute ago, Xircal said:

Yes, I agree with that. I think this is also part of the problem. In order to try and attract business Thai owned businesses are very fond of misrepresenting accommodation using terms like 'boutique hotel' and 'Resort and Spa' to describe what is litle more than a guesthouse or in some cases, just a glorified backpackers establishment.

I discovered that myself when I stayed at White's in Soi Sansabai a few years ago. I thought I was getting a bargain at 1800 Baht for a 'boutique hotel', but it was just a guesthouse without a lift even. The furniture was the usual tacky style you find in all cheap hotels in Thailand and although the bed was fairly comfortable, that was the full extent of the 'boutiqueness'. Never again.

In the Philippines you can pay that and not even get a fridge,due to the high cost of electricity there,my first experience of Cebu near Mango Square!

Try that warm water after a good night out on the San Migs,Light and Pale Pilsen,delicious! :bah:

14 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

So if that is the room rate then 3,000 Baht deposit seems fare. If you pay for your room when you first check in they may not charge you a deposit. If they do then don't pay them right away and just give them the deposit. I have never had a problem ever getting my deposit back, or at least taking it off my room price, but there is always a first time for everything.

I don't really agree with what you say about the deposit because hotels are like any other business. They budget for mishaps and for users who walk off without paying, or never arrive and these kind of events are factored into the rate they charge for rooms. Also, they'll be insured for damages and will claim on that where necessary.

If they require 100% payment in advance when a guest books over the Internet months ahead of their arrival, why would they want to charge them a deposit which is more than the cost of the room when they actually arrive? What's it for?

Some guests unfortunately do cause damage to a room, but that can be addressed when they checkout. After all, they always hold you at the front desk when you checkout so that they can inspect the room for damage. If the guest doesn't want to pay, then they can call the cops and let them sort it out. If it's going to mean a guest might miss their flight, they'll soon cough up I'm sure.

14 hours ago, cooked said:

A colleague recently was asked for ‎฿2000 deposit for a room that he had booked per internet.

Some hotels have a list of misdemeanours with a price list (soiling bed sheets for instance, cooking  a barbecue on the carpet, etc) and they will generally go to check your room that nothing has happened / disappeared before you get your deposit back.

Not only that but they are also hoping that you forget to demand the money back when you check out. It has happened to me too: I was not there when my wife checked out and she did not know about the deposit because I had forgotten to tell her. The cashier MUST have known but she did not say anything. Having arrived back home I wrote a letter (with a veiled threat) to the hotel and I got the money back.