Hotel requires 3000 Baht security deposit

Xircal

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:56 AM, JHolmesJr said:

Dont do it….Ive had hotels do the same…ask for 500B per day as deposit….even after I had pre-paid my entire room tariff.

Deposit for what…just swipe my card and block off the funds you feel will cover my stay.

I dug in and they agreed…with an extremely sour demeanour….but hey, their problem, not mine.

One hotel actually swiped my card and asked me to sign a blank CC slip…which is like signing a blank cheque.

I usually ask all hotels to empty the mini bar so there is nothing they can charge me for as I never eat on the premises or use room service.

Probably unrealistic (to refuse room deposits across the board).  It's a thing some hotels do (including upscale ones); some don't.  I guess they rolled over in this case because it was apparently all about the mini-bar, but I wouldn't count on it everywhere.  Deposits aren't generally just for the mini-bar (though a daily charge, which is unusual, would seem to be).  There's the room-key and pilferable/breakable items in the room and other room damage.  In many cases the deposit isn't actually collected if you use a credit card:  you sign the slip, but they just tear it up or give it back to you unused when you check-out.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found it happening more and more the last few years.

In Singapore and Malaysia I've had a hold put on my credit card for $100 per night for $100-200 a night rooms.

In Manila, 1500 pesos per night cash deposit for a 4000 peso room, well known hotel.

20 hours ago, madmitch said:

Most larger hotels swipe your card which is, effectively giving them a blank cheque. I've never had a problem with this personally, nor would I have a problem with a cash deposit; it'll be returned provided there's no loss or damage to any of their property.

Has anyone here ever failed to have a deposit returned or had their card charged for an invalid reason?

At our guesthouse we do sometimes charge extra for damage, though don't take a deposit, the largest amounts being for the replacements of a mattress and a washing machine. Interesting stories relating to both those incidents! 

Yes I have had a cash deposit failed to be returned, I was in a bit of a hurry and forgot to ask.

I think it is sometimes taken advantage of.

To avoid this confusion and any sculdugary from the hotels. On booking this should be pointed out to the customer before he books the room that way everyone is in the picture. Now after my friends experiance I never pay for a room up front. If the hotel won't accept pay direct on arrival I just look for another. If using a booking agent on internet in there notes or special requests I say " booked on condition that the price stated is the price charged with No hidden extras or deposits".

11 hours ago, Xircal said:

I don't really agree with what you say about the deposit because hotels are like any other business. They budget for mishaps and for users who walk off without paying, or never arrive and these kind of events are factored into the rate they charge for rooms. Also, they'll be insured for damages and will claim on that where necessary.

If they require 100% payment in advance when a guest books over the Internet months ahead of their arrival, why would they want to charge them a deposit which is more than the cost of the room when they actually arrive? What's it for?

Some guests unfortunately do cause damage to a room, but that can be addressed when they checkout. After all, they always hold you at the front desk when you checkout so that they can inspect the room for damage. If the guest doesn't want to pay, then they can call the cops and let them sort it out. If it's going to mean a guest might miss their flight, they'll soon cough up I'm sure.

To be honest I wasn't really making reference to hotels that want to charge you the full price of the room before you even arrive, just to hold it for you. I would never pay this unless it was a real special place or time, and would be very difficult finding a room like this after you arrive. Like a reasonable hotel in London during the Olympics.

You mention damage as a possibility for a deposit but don't understand why. I personally think that willful damage is extremely rare in a hotel, but on the other hand accidental damage happens quite frequently. Especially if you are a smoker. So far in my many stays in hotels I have paid for a new quilt in Rome and Malta that I burnt a hole in, and a new mattress in Crete.

But as you mention you would pay for that at check out as they do have them check for things like this first. But that is only good if you have the money to pay them. If you pay by Credit Card they already know ahead of time you are good for that money, so then no need to ask for a deposit.  But what if you don't pay by Credit Card, don't pay your room in advance, and don't make a deposit? What could happen then?

Have you ever added the total price to everything that is in a Mini Bar? A Long Distance Telephone Call from a hotel room overseas? The cost to replace all the towels and linen? In this lies the problem. You are assuming all people will go to check out to pay for things but they don't. Some people skip town after emptying the mini bar, filling there suitcase with towels, and running off with the room key before paying for their room. To catch a 9 am flight from Bangkok to Europe.

Personally I don't think this deposit is for your room so much as other things. It is not a great loss to them if you don't pay for your room.  It is almost a certainty that this hotel has other rooms that night that remained empty. So this would just be another room they could later show as empty. But mini bar products have to be replaced and they do have to pay for long distance telephone calls to, so this would come out as a direct loss to the hotel.

You may get away with not making a deposit but forget about being able to use the telephone for even local calls, or getting onto a locked mini bar.  Theft of towel may be in fact added into the room price, but I think this has become very rare now to. I never heard anyone argue over a theft of towel before but I have heard plenty argue over what they claim they never had at the mini bar. In all my time I was never cheated by the hotel on this, as long as everything they say was their when I arrived was their.  So always check your mini bar first thing. 

3 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

To avoid this confusion and any sculdugary from the hotels. On booking this should be pointed out to the customer before he books the room that way everyone is in the picture. Now after my friends experiance I never pay for a room up front. If the hotel won't accept pay direct on arrival I just look for another. If using a booking agent on internet in there notes or special requests I say " booked on condition that the price stated is the price charged with No hidden extras or deposits".

I once booked a nice guesthouse in Crete Online through a famous Travel Site called Expedia during the tourist season, but a month ahead of time. When I finally got to my end destination to this famous tourist resort town, and to the correct guesthouse, I was shocked to find out that they didn't have any booking for me at all as they are not a guesthouse anymore.

More shocked to find out that they stopped being a guesthouse many months ago. When I showed them my reservations they said they had told Expedia that ages ago to, then showed me their letter from Expedia dating months ago saying thank you use of your hotel in the past and for telling us not to book rooms their anymore. So they were also surprised they booked me with them to. But they also did not have any kind words at all to say about Expedia either. 

Now wondering the streets stopping at every hotel and guesthouse I could see along the way with my suitcase in hand, and not being able to find a single room as they were all booked solid, I sat down to have a beer in an outdoor bar and try to figure out my next move. With the owners help she pointed me into the right direction were I was able to find a place off the beaten path, and get their last room. 

The next day Expedia contacted me by email and told me my booking was not possible in the place I chose through their site, but they would find me another before I leave. I said I am already here, which they should know as they also booked my flights as well, and that I found myself without a room when I arrive. So I said I spent my first day searching and now to kindly send me my money back, which they did later. But never again! 

It is common practice to take a copy of credit card on check in for International Hotels even if have paid through 

Agoda or the like. (most do not actually mention an amount)

In my years of travel (last month 5 hotels) not in Thailand & have never been charged in error.

(Normally they rip  up the credit card authorization on check out)

9 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

You mention damage as a possibility for a deposit but don't understand why. I personally think that willful damage is extremely rare in a hotel, but on the other hand accidental damage happens quite frequently. Especially if you are a smoker. So far in my many stays in hotels I have paid for a new quilt in Rome and Malta that I burnt a hole in, and a new mattress in Crete.

It depends on the establishment and the clientele of course, but a bunch of drunken louts can easily break a TV set or a mirror in the bathroom, but don't report it immediately to the receptionist. There have been occasions when I've soiled the sheets or broke a bedside lamp, but I always report such things to the front desk immediately and ask them if they want me to pay for the damage. I've yet to be told that I do.

But as you mention you would pay for that at check out as they do have them check for things like this first. But that is only good if you have the money to pay them. If you pay by Credit Card they already know ahead of time you are good for that money, so then no need to ask for a deposit.  But what if you don't pay by Credit Card, don't pay your room in advance, and don't make a deposit? What could happen then?

I only pay by credit card when I'm booking online. If the hotel wants me to pay on arrival I pay cash.

But it depends on the hotel's policy as to whether the guest pays on arrival or departure. If it's the latter but they plead poverty then that's tantamount to deception and would warrant the police being called. The guest's personal property can be confiscated and sold to pay whatever debt is owed if necessary. But faced with the prospect of spending time in a Thai prison, I think the guest would miraculously find the money from somewhere in no time at all.

Have you ever added the total price to everything that is in a Mini Bar? A Long Distance Telephone Call from a hotel room overseas? The cost to replace all the towels and linen? In this lies the problem. You are assuming all people will go to check out to pay for things but they don't. Some people skip town after emptying the mini bar, filling there suitcase with towels, and running off with the room key before paying for their room. To catch a 9 am flight from Bangkok to Europe.

I always ask them to empty the mini bar l before I check into the room. I've never had a problem with that.

Long distance phone calls? Don't you own a mobile phone?  Buy a local SIM and you'll find it'll be a lot cheaper than what the hotel is likely to charge you.

Most if not all hotels make a copy of your passport and the form immigration requires you to provide your flight details on and if anyone attempts to skip town without paying, a quick call from the police to immigration will soon get the culprit carted off to the nick while charges for theft are filed with the authorities. Don't forget that check-in times for international flights are usually two hours minimum after which you'll have another hour or so before you can board the aircraft. Since the hotel has the flight details, there'll be at least 3-4 hrs to catch the bugger before he or she leaves the country.

Personally I don't think this deposit is for your room so much as other things. It is not a great loss to them if you don't pay for your room.  It is almost a certainty that this hotel has other rooms that night that remained empty. So this would just be another room they could later show as empty. But mini bar products have to be replaced and they do have to pay for long distance telephone calls to, so this would come out as a direct loss to the hotel.

Eh? Not a great loss if you don't pay for your room? I doubt very much if the contents of the minibar will amount to anywhere near the total cost of a room over several days. As for the long distance calls, I think most people use their own phone these days don't they? I know I do.

As for the minibar, there's usually a tariff to be found somewhere in the room which details the cost of drinks. So it's down to the guest to keep a running total of what he or she has consumed and then to stick to that in the event of an argument. Most hotels won't want to remonstrate with guests when there are other visitors around since it could result in bad publicity on tripadvisor or one of the booking agencies review sites.

26 minutes ago, Xircal said:

It depends on the establishment and the clientele of course, but a bunch of drunken louts can easily break a TV set or a mirror in the bathroom, but don't report it immediately to the receptionist. There have been occasions when I've soiled the sheets or broke a bedside lamp, but I always report such things to the front desk immediately and ask them if they want me to pay for the damage. I've yet to be told that I do.

I only pay by credit card when I'm booking online. If the hotel wants me to pay on arrival I pay cash.

But it depends on the hotel's policy as to whether the guest pays on arrival or departure. If it's the latter but they plead poverty then that's tantamount to deception and would warrant the police being called. The guest's personal property can be confiscated and sold to pay whatever debt is owed if necessary. But faced with the prospect of spending time in a Thai prison, I think the guest would miraculously find the money from somewhere in no time at all.

I always ask them to empty the mini bar l before I check into the room. I've never had a problem with that.

Long distance phone calls? Don't you own a mobile phone?  Buy a local SIM and you'll find it'll be a lot cheaper than what the hotel is likely to charge you.

Most if not all hotels make a copy of your passport and the form immigration requires you to provide your flight details on and if anyone attempts to skip town without paying, a quick call from the police to immigration will soon get the culprit carted off to the nick while charges for theft are filed with the authorities. Don't forget that check-in times for international flights are usually two hours minimum after which you'll have another hour or so before you can board the aircraft. Since the hotel has the flight details, there'll be at least 3-4 hrs to catch the bugger before he or she leaves the country.

Eh? Not a great loss if you don't pay for your room? I doubt very much if the contents of the minibar will amount to anywhere near the total cost of a room over several days. As for the long distance calls, I think most people use their own phone these days don't they? I know I do.

As for the minibar, there's usually a tariff to be found somewhere in the room which details the cost of drinks. So it's down to the guest to keep a running total of what he or she has consumed and then to stick to that in the event of an argument. Most hotels won't want to remonstrate with guests when there are other visitors around since it could result in bad publicity on tripadvisor or one of the booking agencies review sites.

I couldn't tell you as I never stayed in a hotel that allowed drunken parties to continue to the point they wreck the place and break a TV. As already mentioned accidental damage happens to everyone. Maybe they won't charge you for a $2 lamp that never worked in the first place, but I can assure you that if you burn a hole in a mattress with a cigarette butt, they will make you pay.

As also mentioned I try to avoid using my Card Card in Thailand as I have been ripped off using it here before for a hotel stay, but when booking online you pretty well have to use it. Unless you call the hotel yourself and make a reservation, which I have also done in the past. You are probably safe in a 5 Star Hotel but I don't take chances unless I have to.

Long Distance Telephone Calls form a Hotel? To be honest I don't use this very much anymore as I use the Internet, but on occasion I have had people who needed to call me their. If you stay in one country then a Mobile Phone should be okay, but in the past and if you didn't have roaming, then this isn't any good. I think most mobile phones these days do have roaming now, but I don't know as I said I use the Internet and the Hotel Telephone. If my Boss is paying the Bill why should I use my own stuff or run around at every airport I stop at looking for a sim card?

Ones preference in hotels is about as different as people are. For some having a swimming pool and exercise room and non smoking rooms is a must, where for others having a quiet smoking room and good bed is more important. To be honest I have never heard of anyone demanding to have there mini bar cleaned out of everything before they get into their room. Especially when they can lock this min bar with a key. You are the first.

But for me I know it is there and if I decide to use it or not is up to me. A mini bar can in fact add up to a hotel room for a night and even more. So I usually buy my own beer move there's out, and later have my own cold beer. But hard to do if they lock it, and what I would do if you refused to make a deposit. If the hotel lets you stay many nights and not securing your room first by Credit Card or paying for the room after a night, or a a Deposit, then they are taking a big chance on you.   

With most of the hotels I have ever stayed at, the policy is the same. They take your Credit Card when you get your key, then book you when you check out. If you don't pay by Credit Card then a deposit may be required. They can make you pay for your room ahead of time if you do this online, but seldom have I ever been asked to do so if I check in at the hotel. But I have been asked for a deposit before. 

True that most hotels take precautions to avoid getting ripped off. Like taking a copy of your Passport. But that really doesn't help them much if at check out they discover you have left town and half way to Europe on an airplane. The Police won't issue an International Warrant for you through Interpol just because the hotel claims you never paid your Bill. Probably not even a warrant in there own country. It is not a major crime.  

1 hour ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I couldn't tell you as I never stayed in a hotel that allowed drunken parties to continue to the point they wreck the place and break a TV. As already mentioned accidental damage happens to everyone. Maybe they won't charge you for a $2 lamp that never worked in the first place, but I can assure you that if you burn a hole in a mattress with a cigarette butt, they will make you pay.

I don't smoke so no chance of that happening to me.

But I note that you referred to your boss footing the bill so I guess you're a business traveller rather than just a tourist like myself. The type of hotels I stay in are those in the 2 or 3 star category and frequented by rowdy groups at times so the chances of something getting broken are quite high.

As also mentioned I try to avoid using my Card Card in Thailand as I have been ripped off using it here before for a hotel stay, but when booking online you pretty well have to use it. Unless you call the hotel yourself and make a reservation, which I have also done in the past. You are probably safe in a 5 Star Hotel but I don't take chances unless I have to.

I stayed in a 5 star hotel way back when when I used to work for a living (I'm retired now) and enjoyed the opulent surroundings, but my meagre pension doesn't allow that anymore I regret to say.

Long Distance Telephone Calls form a Hotel? To be honest I don't use this very much anymore as I use the Internet, but on occasion I have had people who needed to call me their. If you stay in one country then a Mobile Phone should be okay, but in the past and if you didn't have roaming, then this isn't any good. I think most mobile phones these days do have roaming now, but I don't know as I said I use the Internet and the Hotel Telephone. If my Boss is paying the Bill why should I use my own stuff or run around at every airport I stop at looking for a sim card?

Well as I just mentioned, if someone else is footing the bill then I guess you won't want to use your own phone. But unless your mobile is locked to an ISP, local SIM cards are available in every 7/11 in Thailand and there's at least one of those on every street corner in places like Patong. Also there's an AIS store in Jungceylon on the 3rd floor and most of the other mobile phone stores there sell DTAC and True SIMs as well.

Ones preference in hotels is about as different as people are. For some having a swimming pool and exercise room and non smoking rooms is a must, where for others having a quiet smoking room and good bed is more important. To be honest I have never heard of anyone demanding to have there mini bar cleaned out of everything before they get into their room. Especially when they can lock this min bar with a key. You are the first.

I always ask the hotel to remove the contents of the minibar which is just a small 'fridge because I want to use the space for my own food and drink not because I think they would rip me off.

If the hotel lets you stay many nights and not securing your room first by Credit Card or paying for the room after a night, or a a Deposit, then they are taking a big chance on you. 

I've been staying there on and off for around 10 years now so they know me. ;)

True that most hotels take precautions to avoid getting ripped off. Like taking a copy of your Passport. But that really doesn't help them much if at check out they discover you have left town and half way to Europe on an airplane. The Police won't issue an International Warrant for you through Interpol just because the hotel claims you never paid your Bill. Probably not even a warrant in there own country. It is not a major crime.

Most visitors fly Economy and return flight times are fixed and can't be changed so it's highly unlikely that anyone would be able to skip the hotel bill and leave the country easily. Those that fly business class or premium economy aren't really the kind of people that would want to rip a hotel off by not paying the bill.

But assuming somebody was able to do that and get away with it you can be certain that it'll be noted in police records and if that individual were to return to the country immigration may refuse him entry on arrival. That's what's going on at the immigration desk when you arrive in Thailand. They're checking the database to see if there are any outstanding bills that haven't been paid, or if you're on a country's missing persons list, or if you have a criminal record.

Edited by Xircal
corrected spelling mistake

21 minutes ago, Xircal said:

I don't smoke so no chance of that happening to me.

But I note that you referred to your boss footing the bill so I guess you're a business traveller rather than just a tourist like myself. The type of hotels I stay in are those in the 2 or 3 star category and frequented by rowdy groups at times so the chances of something getting broken are quite high.

I stayed in a 5 star hotel way back when when I used to work for a living (I'm retired now) and enjoyed the opulent surroundings, but my meagre pension doesn't allow that anymore I regret to say.

Well as I just mentioned, if someone else is footing the bill then I guess you won't want to use your own phone. But unless your mobile is locked to an ISP, local SIM cards are available in every 7/11 in Thailand and there's at least one of those on every street corner in places like Patong. Also there's an AIS store in Jungceylon on the 3rd floor and most of the other mobile phone stores there sell DTAC and True SIMs as well.

I always ask the hotel to remove the contents of the minibar which is just a small 'fridge because I want to use the space for my own food and drink not because I think they would rip me off.

I've been staying there on and off for around 10 years now so they know me. ;)

Most visitors fly Economy and return flight times are fixed and can't be changed so it's highly unlikely that anyone would be able to skip the hotel bill and leave the country easily. Those that fly business class or premium economy aren't really the kind of people that would want to rip a hotel off by not paying the bill.

But assuming somebody was able to do that and get away with it you can be certain that it'll be noted in police records and if that individual were to return to the country immigration may refuse him entry on arrival. That's what's going on at the immigration desk when you arrive in Thailand. They're checking the database to see if there are any outstanding bills that haven't been paid, or if you're on a country's missing persons list, or if you have a criminal record.

You or your friends have never taken an early morning flight or at least a Flight before Check Out? Odd? 

SIM Cards are easy to find but I am not making reference to just Thailand. I am making reference to International Travel. Most airports carry SIM Cards, but most times I don't bother hunting for one. I found that as long as I had the Internet or Hotel Telephone, I never needed one. 

Some confusion on the Mini Bar issue. I though it was connected to you not wanting to make a deposit on a room for Mini Bar possible use, or later being charged for products you did not use. After all, this is what this post is all about and why a person should or should not make a deposit of 3,000 Baht. . 

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Hotels do not have your flight information, and even if they were to have it it is not easy and takes time to have the police stop you.

Thank You! This is what I tried to say also. 

To be honest and if I owned a hotel, and someone where to skip out one night without paying me, I doubt I would even call the police and make out a report. A lot of fuss and bother for money I wouldn't probably get back anyway and the police probably wouldn't hunt the person down either. 

Maybe if theft was involved, like all the towels were taken and the mini bar emptied out. I might make a Police Report so I can make an insurance claim later. But for a room that somebody didn't pay for which would have sat empty anyway, and thus no direct loss involved, there would be no point. 

Seems to me that asking for a deposit when someone moves in is far easier than calling the police later and trying to hunt somebody down. 

7 hours ago, stevenl said:

Hotels do not have your flight information, and even if they were to have it it is not easy and takes time to have the police stop you.

But the hotel must have taken a copy of the passport or ID.  Required by law. Easy enough to phone ahead to the airport police with name and passport number etc.

35 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

But the hotel must have taken a copy of the passport or ID.  Required by law. Easy enough to phone ahead to the airport police with name and passport number etc.

True, but the TS claimed hotels have flight info from arrival card. Could be true, but only if that card has been copied and the guest has already written down the departure flight information.

To get any action from (airport) police, first the hotel would have to go to the local police station, and with the paperwork from there go to the court to get an arrest warrant. And that will take time, normally around 2 days or so. Airport police or immigration can not and will not stop somebody from departing, just because a hotel claims they owe them money.

50 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I am sure the Airport Police and Immigration would drop everything they are doing and go to High Alert after your telephone call, and be on the lookout for someone who is trying to skip the country before paying his hotel Bill. Maybe if the President called, but from you I highly doubt they would even listen to you.

First of all, and without a Police Report first, they have no grounds to arrest or hold anyone. Secondly, what proof do you have that he didn't pay? How do you know for sure that one of your employee's didn't put this cash money in their pocket, and forgot to tell you about that later? To have someone arrested at an International Airport on their way out, and put them in jail, they are going to need something stronger then your telephone call saying they did that. At least I hope they do.    

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

True, but the TS claimed hotels have flight info from arrival card. Could be true, but only if that card has been copied and the guest has already written down the departure flight information.

To get any action from (airport) police, first the hotel would have to go to the local police station, and with the paperwork from there go to the court to get an arrest warrant. And that will take time, normally around 2 days or so. Airport police or immigration can not and will not stop somebody from departing, just because a hotel claims they owe them money.

I agree, it would be a tall order to get the BiB engaged - but given the loss was high then it might be worth the effort and a 'tip' to the BiB would help considerably. It more about getting compensation than throwing somone in police jail. Just the idea of missing flight might assist in payment.

Edited by LivinginKata

16 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

You or your friends have never taken an early morning flight or at least a Flight before Check Out? Odd? 

Why is that odd? It depends what part of tthe world you're from which determines when return flights are available. In my particular case there's only one return flight departing SIN-AMS which departs at 23:55.

SIM Cards are easy to find but I am not making reference to just Thailand. I am making reference to International Travel. Most airports carry SIM Cards, but most times I don't bother hunting for one. I found that as long as I had the Internet or Hotel Telephone, I never needed one.

I don't see what bearing that has on this particular topic or how it relates to events in Phuket.

Some confusion on the Mini Bar issue. I though it was connected to you not wanting to make a deposit on a room for Mini Bar possible use, or later being charged for products you did not use. After all, this is what this post is all about and why a person should or should not make a deposit of 3,000 Baht. .

I don't see the point of your argument. Even if the guest asks for the minibar to be cleared Sleep With Me  is still going to require a deposit since it's stipulated as such on their site. So the reason for wanting it cleared has no bearing on the matter.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

When I arrive at my hotel the front desk asks me to present my passport and immigration card. They subsequently make a copy of both. The immigration card has both arrival and departure flight numbers written on it.

As regards your second comment, the hotel will contact the local police who act very quickly where it concerns foreigners. Nobody has to contact immigration because the local cops will enter details into the police database which is also linked to immigration. When the thief attempts to go through immigration that database will be checked for any problems which have arisen during the guest's stay in Thailand. You can guess the rest.

3 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I am sure the Airport Police and Immigration would drop everything they are doing and go to High Alert after your telephone call, and be on the lookout for someone who is trying to skip the country before paying his hotel Bill. Maybe if the President called, but from you I highly doubt they would even listen to you.

First of all, and without a Police Report first, they have no grounds to arrest or hold anyone. Secondly, what proof do you have that he didn't pay? How do you know for sure that one of your employee's didn't put this cash money in their pocket, and forgot to tell you about that later? To have someone arrested at an International Airport on their way out, and put them in jail, they are going to need something stronger then your telephone call saying they did that. At least I hope they do.    

That's not how it works. Complaints are made to the local police who enter details in their database. That database is also linked to immigration. They check reports of any crimes or misdemeanors which took place while the guest was staying anywhere in Thailand. If his or her details are connected to something on file, they're going to be held at the airport. No two ways about it.

From there it will just go through the motions. Immigration will contact the local cops who in turn will contact the hotel. A hotel rep will go from there to the airport and identify the culprit. But this all takes time and in the meantime, the guest's return flight will have already left and the cost of a return flight ticket at the airport will probably be at least 10 times the amount the hotel bill cost.

12 hours ago, stevenl said:

Of course they do. It's written on the immigration card which you have to submit to immigration on arrival. When you arrive at your hotel, they make a copy of it along with your passport.

You'll be surprised at quickly the police act when a crime involving a foreigner is reported.

1 hour ago, Xircal said:

When I arrive at my hotel the front desk asks me to present my passport and immigration card. They subsequently make a copy of both. The immigration card has both arrival and departure flight numbers written on it.

As regards your second comment, the hotel will contact the local police who act very quickly where it concerns foreigners. Nobody has to contact immigration because the local cops will enter details into the police database which is also linked to immigration. When the thief attempts to go through immigration that database will be checked for any problems which have arisen during the guest's stay in Thailand. You can guess the rest.

No, most people only fill out flight info when they depart. this is not standard on the card.

No, databases are not linked and the process is not fast. Even stronger, a normal police report is not entered in any database.

3 hours ago, Xircal said:

Why is that odd? It depends what part of tthe world you're from which determines when return flights are available. In my particular case there's only one return flight departing SIN-AMS which departs at 23:55.

I don't see what bearing that has on this particular topic or how it relates to events in Phuket.

I don't see the point of your argument. Even if the guest asks for the minibar to be cleared Sleep With Me  is still going to require a deposit since it's stipulated as such on their site. So the reason for wanting it cleared has no bearing on the matter.

You don't see the point of my argument as I am not arguing.

You came here asking for advice and if it was normal for a hotel to charge for a deposit. In your case 3,000 Baht when your room price for a night is close to that.

Many posters have answered your question here already, confirming that hotels can do this,  including myself, and even gave you many good reasons why hotels will do that.  Then you argued the point with everyone here why there is no need for them to do this and thus they shouldn't. Argued as if we own this hotel you want to stay at. 

May I make another suggestion in that if you don't like this hotels rules on their requirement for a deposit of 3,000 Baht, or the Hotel Transfer of 1,100 Baht, then just find another place to go. Or call them by telephone and argue with them why they shouldn't charge you this amount.

4 hours ago, Xircal said:

Yes! It is odd and it does not depend on the part of the world you are from as usually there are many different flights.

You are talking about Thailand but show a flight from Singapore to Amsterdam that leaves Singapore at 23:55. How about getting from Phuket to Bangkok first which are mostly all morning flights and then from Bangkok to Singapore, which is early afternoon. But I question why someone would even go this way. 

There is a direct flight leaving Bangkok for Amsterdam that leaves at 12:05 pm. You can catch that if you leave Phuket on one of the early morning flights. In other words you can be on your way to Amsterdam before the hotel even knows you are missing from the hotel as this is check out time.  

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

No, most people only fill out flight info when they depart. this is not standard on the card.

No, databases are not linked and the process is not fast. Even stronger, a normal police report is not entered in any database.

You can believe whatever you wish but the fact remains that immigration requires you to complete the card you receive prior to landing on both sides to include your personal details, where you propose to stay and both inbound and outbound flight numbers. That has been my own experience. If you wish to dispute that by all means do so, but you're only fooling yourself.

But allow me to point to out that when you arrive at immigration, they will record your details in their database. Part of that process is taking your photograph which is why they have you look at the camera. So they know what you look like and what your passport details are. Those details are also recorded in case you appear on Interpol's wanted list or if you're on a missing persons list.

Even if you somehow make it through immigration without entering your departing flight details it hardly matters since in order to leave the country you have to present your passport.

So if in the case that a guest skips paying his or her hotel bill, the local police only need to contact immigration and provide the guest's passport number which the hotel will have a record of and the thief can be detained when he presents his himself at immigration.

Even if the culprit somehow or other makes it through immigration and on to the flight, those details will remain on file and should the visitor return at some time in the future, they could be refused entry and will either have to spend their vacation on the wrong side of the immigration desk, or purchase a ticket home which won't be cheap.

6 hours ago, Xircal said:

You can believe whatever you wish but the fact remains that immigration requires you to complete the card you receive prior to landing on both sides to include your personal details, where you propose to stay and both inbound and outbound flight numbers. That has been my own experience. If you wish to dispute that by all means do so, but you're only fooling yourself.

But allow me to point to out that when you arrive at immigration, they will record your details in their database. Part of that process is taking your photograph which is why they have you look at the camera. So they know what you look like and what your passport details are. Those details are also recorded in case you appear on Interpol's wanted list or if you're on a missing persons list.

Even if you somehow make it through immigration without entering your departing flight details it hardly matters since in order to leave the country you have to present your passport.

So if in the case that a guest skips paying his or her hotel bill, the local police only need to contact immigration and provide the guest's passport number which the hotel will have a record of and the thief can be detained when he presents his himself at immigration.

Even if the culprit somehow or other makes it through immigration and on to the flight, those details will remain on file and should the visitor return at some time in the future, they could be refused entry and will either have to spend their vacation on the wrong side of the immigration desk, or purchase a ticket home which won't be cheap.

I'm out of here, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, just keep on hammering the same incorrect information.

See Goldbuggy's post 113.

Edited by stevenl

Airport police or immigration can not and will not stop somebody from departing, just because a hotel claims they owe them money.

They have done it on 3 occasions for me after I called them to report that a guest had skipped without paying.

And I didn't do this with my 'police volunteer' hat on either, (as some might accuse me) :coffee1:

In all 3 cases, the airport immigration stopped the person from catching their flight until I arrived at the airport to personally collect payment.  Although the airport is only 5 minutes away, very 'bad traffic' meant that I wasn't able to reach the airport until after they had missed their departing flight. :cheesy:

I have no time for 'thieves'

Edited by simon43