Country In Focus: Indonesia/ HOW TO INVEST HERE?

a few of the  big Thai brokers are set up to allow local customers to invest overseas. Investing outside Thailand  (through a local Thai broker)  is expensive  because commisions are high, but if you dont want to trade much then that should not be a significant factor.  Also the markets that one can invest in tend to be limited so you need to check that with any broker you talk to. Asia Plus have a pretty good international service with a good range of markets and commisions are not outrageous;   I believe it is aimed at their higher net worth Thai customers so they may have a minimum investing sum.

if you are interested in Indonesia check out  some of the mutual/investment funds focused on that country eg Aberdeen have at least one Indonesian fund. you can learn quite a bit just by reading the fund reports.

There are many sources for the information you want Bloomberg, Reuters, FT.com;  some will charge but there is a great deal available for free just hunt around.

Thank you Worldchild,

I myself am almost exclusively in US Biostocks. In addtion to B--berg,Reuters etc my main source of inspiration is  seekingalpha.com but it as too few international stocks.

For my wife its a different story. I remember that dividend income on investments abroad is problematic but have forgotten details. Dividend accumulation with a low fee burden would be the primary choice.

Achievable?

there is no issue with dividend income earned abroad even for a Thai resident; as long as the income is held offshore till  after dec 31st it can then be brought back into thailand. There are certain restrictions (and reporting requirements) for a Thai citizen when they hold stocks offshore through a Thai broker but these dont impact the income. A Thai broker with a decent international offering can guide your wife on all of this.

Better (if she can get her funds out of country) is to use a Singapore or HK broker  eg   Saxo ,   OCBC (Sing) or Boom (HK)  and then she wont really have any restrictions.

For fairly stable long term income (for a Thai based individual)  i would look at Singapore REITS  and UK investment trusts focused on dividend growth from Global or Asian  equities. or mutual funds with a similar remit.

Edited by wordchild