Odometer fraud

stubuzz

One of the main reasons i bought my Fiesta was because of the  low mileage, but it appears to have been clocked.  Connecting the car to a diagnostic computer shows that the mileage in the car's memory (PCM) is double of what is showing on the dashboard. Is there a trading standards in Thailand?

Ask them for the service records. The service record book should be in the glove box. If no book then find another car.  Or you may be able to go to  a Ford dealership and ask them directly.  

Oh I see you already purchased. In that case I think its buyer beware.

" Connecting the car to a diagnostic computer "

You should do this before you buy the car. If the seller doesn't allow you to do you will know enough already :)

These OBDII bluetooth/wifi connectors can be bought very cheap.

On the other hand, rehauling an engine is quite cheap in Thailand, so if the rest of the car is in very good condition it still might be worth it.

1 hour ago, Cheops said:

" Connecting the car to a diagnostic computer "

You should do this before you buy the car. If the seller doesn't allow you to do you will know enough already :)

These OBDII bluetooth/wifi connectors can be bought very cheap.

On the other hand, rehauling an engine is quite cheap in Thailand, so if the rest of the car is in very good condition it still might be worth it.

Unfortunately the high mileage is not just on the engine, but on the transmission, brakes, suspension etc... 

OP: You responded to a question that your Car was purchased through a dealership... 

By Dealership do you mean an actual Ford Dealership ? (i.e. from one which you can also purchase new cars) if so, did your car some with a manufactures warranty ? i.e. sometimes 2nd hand cars sold at a dealership come with 3 months or even a year warranty. 

OR... Do you mean just a 'tent' ? i.e. a private business of second hand car sales (which we see all over) ? IF so, is the company registered ? IF it is, you may have recourse through the Consumer Protection Board... You would have to provide proof that you were misled on Mileage.

4 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

If you bought from a dealer and the mileage was stated on your copy of the bill of sale I first try going back to him and say you changed the mileage want money back or tell him your going to police because of fraud or going to lawyer see what happens

i like the advice  here and worth a try .However the car may have been a 'trade in 'and the previous owner clocked it .If you are resilient here i am sure there is some legal action via consumer protection govt department in Thailand.that will help you

good luck

One of the main reasons i bought my Fiesta was because of the  low mileage, but it appears to have been clocked.  Connecting the car to a diagnostic computer shows that the mileage in the car's memory (PCM) is double of what is showing on the dashboard. Is there a trading standards in Thailand?

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

1 hour ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I don't know the time elapsed between the purchase and hooking the car to the dx computer...what's to stop the dealer from arguing that YOU put the disputed milage on the car?

If they used the standard car sales contract, as I have always seen been used in Thailand, it contains a field for mileage... 

2 hours ago, mortenaa said:

If they used the standard car sales contract, as I have always seen been used in Thailand, it contains a field for mileage... 

It may even be a clause stating that the car was not in an accident. it is theoretically possible to return the money

if the seller is a reputable company, or offer a refund, free insurance, replacement car, part of the compensation money.

On 10.09.2016 at 4:27 PM, stubuzz said:

Is there a trading standards in Thailand?

Of course Thailand is far from perfect, and I am every time  critic Thai , maybe even so many complain,
  but this is not standard.
  and there is not a small number of sellers who value their reputation ..
  and in any country could sell a car with problems.
  P S
  And why did not you had a car diagnostics? Is not that the first " reason "?

At the very least thanks for posting.  Helps us all in the future in the LOS (Land of Scams).  I bought a truck in BKK and expected to make a certain amount of repairs but when I did I found the fluids were all black and way overdue.  Tranny, oil, brakes, coolant all of them.  I felt a shuddder when driving and brought her for repairs.   Changed all those fluids overhauled the fron brakes all for 15k which was in my opinion a great deal.  Drove away and felt the same shudder and the truck died.  As usual, thanks to my awesome GF, we found another mechanic who knew more than the last guy and he pointed to a circuit board and said "90% this is the problem in an Isuzu truck".  Another 6k and he swapped it out.  The truck has been problem free ever since and I absolutely love it.  So for 21k I got the truck to were the dealer should have gotten it before he sold it.  I learned a lesson and got of very cheap for 21k.  Bottom line, any second hand vehicles purchased by me will be inspected at the dealership of no deal...period.  The dealer was less then honest but I have to say the mechanics that helped me were honest and cheap and got me back on the road.  2 out of 3 and bad.

What is to prevent the seller from suggesting they bought the car without knowing anything about the mileage discrepancy? 

For all you know, its entirely possible that a previous owner had changed the instrument cluster to get more money on a trade-in.

This could certainly be a defense of the seller.

7 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

What is to prevent the seller from suggesting they bought the car without knowing anything about the mileage discrepancy? 

For all you know, its entirely possible that a previous owner had changed the instrument cluster to get more money on a trade-in.

This could certainly be a defense of the seller.

He should be able to produce the sales document with the indicated mileage when he bought it.

A number of years ago I sold an Isuzu to a dealer when is put it isn't part exchange for a new car. Shortly after a guy phoned and asking if there was any problems with and what was the mileages when I traded it in. I told him and it was what which was what it showing. He did the right thing and checked with me

18 hours ago, natway09 said:

Caveat Mentor!!! Bit late to check after, don't you think?

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I always love the smart ar$e replies when they get it wrong.... :giggle:

20 minutes ago, AsianExport said:

But he is so right. First someone cannot be normal to buy second hand cars here and of course you need to connect to the diagnostic computer before paying !

In which case its 'Caveat Emptor'....

I think you get it now... 

On 9/10/2016 at 6:38 PM, taichiplanet said:

not sure if there is a government department dealing solely with motor vehicle issues but you could try

The Office of the Consumer Protection Board (OCPB)

http://www.ocpb.go.th/ewtadmin/ewt/ocpb_eng/main.php?filename=index___EN

Useless. I contacted them about CTH. They said they'd be back in touch within a month and that was over six months ago. CTH probably ignored the CPB communications (if there were any) as they did mine, and that was the end of it.

Still, you might have better luck.

Just now, Wazza1 said:

You didn't check the brake pedals did you. Another good tell is the tyres, check they are still the factory standards.

RE pedal rubbers the OP hasn't stated the kms now or before is it 10/20 ,20/40 ? may not be able to tell, anyway if the dealer did it and is clued up pedal rubbers are peanuts to replace 

The odometer shows 44,xxx and the car looks like it has done that mileage, but the scan shows the internal computer has logged 96,xxx.

As the service history was missing, Ford are checking the service history, but they are painfully slow and I really don't think they know what they are doing.

Archived