Motorcycle taxi riders attack man for telling them to get out of the bicycle lane

rooster59

Motorcycle taxi riders attack man for telling them to get out of the bicycle lane

EyWwB5WU57MYnKOuqq1Sjtobq74XB9QjUeYbEPHlhiWN5EdVuxR84Z.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK:-- A video is doing the rounds of social media after a man was attacked by two motorcycle taxi riders.

His "crime" ? Telling the "wins" to get out of the bicycle lane.

The good Samaritan clearing the way for bicycle users was confronted by a rider and a slanging match broke out. As fists started flying another man join in.

Then it was a full blown melee as other riders joined the pack.

Later yesterday two riders caught on the video turned themselves in to Bang Seu police where they were interviewed by none other than commander Sanit Mahathavorn of the Metropolitan Police.

Piyapong Phojan, 28, and Somsak Pongkularb, 42, admitted they had been involved after the man had annoyed them by swearing and chasing them out of the bicycle lane.

Sanit said no charges had yet been laid though the pair could face assault charges if and when the victim made a police complaint. Cops are waiting for that to happen before proceeding in the case.

The case has caused much comment on social media.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-11

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Bicycles in the bicycle lane.....how inconsiderate. Street justice is becoming the norm!

Think it was motorcycle in the bike lane - so yes inconsiderate. 

Plus it seems street justice is starting to have some effect as normal people are rightfuly getting sick of being walked over all the time - and can you blame them?

Remember, motorcycle taxi stands only exist and are only there to funnel undeclared income to senior people, usually police and military. They are part of an illegal economy which is protected by a number of means, violence prominent amongst them.

This clip, and the mere existence of the Facebook page it was originally posted on, shows that a lot of Thais are sick of this—and other—overtly selfish behaviour.

As posted in The Nation the other day,

...the clip starts with these messages: "Thailand is not a developing country. But it has been 'the most developed it can be and it is still like this', as it will be in the next 20 years. The problem is Thai's conscience and just the phrase, 'Everybody does this'." 

The video shows a lot of disagreeable behaviour: cars parked on footpaths, motorcycles ridden on footpaths or stopped at crosswalks, vehicles hitting people as they walk at a crosswalk, cars speeding through yellow traffic lights and motorcycle drivers riding in the middle of the road instead of in the left lane. 

"Can't you wait for the green light? Are you rushing to die? You drove against the direction of traffic, that's wrong, and how come you used high-beam lights to chase others who come in the right lane?" the clip asks.

"Are we ignoring this behaviour? We believe that your conscience is there but you just ignored it. No need to wait for other people to remind you. Use your conscience and think about it," the clip says. The video clip ends with pedestrians who gathered as a group on a footpath to block a motorcycle and successfully force it to go back on the street. 

"OHPA" means "Is it OK?", and the Facebook page aims at addressing problems for change. A lot of online users have shown that they agreed and commented harshly on the behaviour mentioned in the clip.

35 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Not acceptable to pedestrians.  And it's against the law...which is rarely enforced.

I may be wrong....but as far as I know, and unless there has been a change of law, it's legal to ride on the footpaths....

This is subject that has had frequent visits....

Just now, Artisi said:

Plus it seems street justice is starting to have some effect as normal people are rightfuly getting sick of being walked over all the time - and can you blame them?

That was 25g of pure sarcasm from Patongo. Bicycles in a bicycle lane.............good heavens, no.

27 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

I may be wrong....but as far as I know, and unless there has been a change of law, it's legal to ride on the footpaths....

This is subject that has had frequent visits....

13 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO RIDE ON THE PAVEMENT, See a lawers reply to this on a certain bloggers web site.  if this is so can you print the law where it says it is allowed

It's indeed very against the law and unacceptable, but unfortunately quite common. I'm a regular user of Bangkok's foothpaths and in most cases motorbikes force me to jump aside and if I'm not fast enough I'll receive a nasty look. Of course it helps that I'm a farang, but as a farang I know that Thais in general can be quite inconsiderate; not only towards foreigners but also to other Thais. 

Just now, Father Fintan Stack said:

Absolute nonsense.

There are daily incidents of serious violence due to road rage!

Indeed!. In western countries there may be the horn and middle finger. In Thailand, the middle finger may be wrapped around the handle of a pistol.

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Guess you see it a bit wrong.

The MOTORbike taxi pilots were using the bicycle lane, you know the one without an engine and pedal power.

One man complained about this, and the motorbike idiots attacked him.

You call this street justice?

I don't, I call this mob a group of bloody criminals.

NKK thinks there is not so much road rage in Thailand.

Really?

Edited by hansnl

18 minutes ago, hansnl said:

The MOTORbike taxi pilots were using the bicycle lane, you know the one without an engine and pedal power.

Really?

Where did I say there's no road rage here ?

21 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Really?

1 minute ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Where did I say there's no road rage here ?

Looks like he read you quoting Jackpat's post and erroneously attributed it to you.

In regards to Jackpat's post, I don't even know where to start! 

4 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Remember, motorcycle taxi stands only exist and are only there to funnel undeclared income to senior people, usually police and military. They are part of an illegal economy which is protected by a number of means, violence prominent amongst them.

Really? ....I thought they existed to shuttle people to and fro over short distances for not much money.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.