Russians rolling back to Phuket

rooster59

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My sense of it is, that the little man is so incredibly obnoxious in his ignorant statements towards foreigners, and for the most part tourists, that the only group that even has an interest in coming here anymore, are the Chinese, and the Russians. These are people who are used to power hungry, xenophobic, ignorant leaders, who say crazy, nonsensical things, and it just does not bother them. For the majority of Western tourists, Thailand is simply becoming a less attractive option, in this ever increasing world of more and more tourist options. If he is to save the industry, he needs to find some wisdom, somewhere, or get some advisors with some wisdom. 

10 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Current exchange rate from XE.com 

1.00 RUB = 0.538833 THB

If you want to give this some meaning, also show us the development of the Ruble over the last few years or so.

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

If you want to give this some meaning, also show us the development of the Ruble over the last few years or so.

An earlier poster was asking about the RUB/THB exchange rate, just trying to be helpful.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=RUB&to=THB&view=1D

Hopefully the link will work for you.

Edited by Golden Triangle

17 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

An earlier poster was asking about the RUB/THB exchange rate, just trying to be helpful.

I don't see that post, but anyhow, as I said, the present exchange rate is a meaningless number if you don't have the development. I do see a post enquiring about that BTW.

22 hours ago, steelepulse said:

There are definitely more Russians here than in the past.  What my Russian friends tell me however is that Russians are coming due to Egypt and Turkey being closed and that Russians that come now are not the moneyed Russians.  Thailand just simply has the cheapest options for Russians venturing abroad at the moment is the word I hear.

whether by default or otherwise, the fact remains that there are increased number of tourists who we hope will be given fair deal and treatment  so that word of mouth can encourage greater numbers to visit.

2 hours ago, dieseldave1951 said:

i doubt it by just look at the amount of soi dogs ready to give you a 15.000 baht coarse of treatment for a bite in case it has rabies  

all tourists look for value for money and if find so they will come in greater numbers.

Edited by sahibji

27 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

this is not an exercise is the development of the  RUB but a simple reference to the value of the russian  currency.

49 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

There is no any sign of economic revival in Russia these days. Actually , the decline trend is still on. Don't wait for Russians to come in masses in the nearest year or two at least.

give them a good deal and you will find them on your shores.

53 minutes ago, david555 said:

Like always" new brooms sweeping good" let us hope they al  go Phuket...

.and all Pattaya street thieving robbers move also there to those big spending Ruskies..so we get more safety ?

do not forget they can also make pattaya their destination if it is more attractive.

2 hours ago, dieseldave1951 said:

i doubt it by just look at the amount of soi dogs ready to give you a 15.000 baht coarse of treatment for a bite in case it has rabies  

Your getting ripped off if your paying that price,or maybe you've been bitten and haven't had treatment yet.

4 hours ago, car720 said:

Times have certainly changed over the years.  In the past men would never bring their women with them.

Yeah - I wonder how many of those relationships will survive the visit...

Every so often, you see some 50-something western guy with his 50-something western wife (who has now grown bigger than him by this age) ... and you can see the pain in his eyes as he sees 'single' guys the same age as him living a life he can only imagine. [Sure, he doesn't know the downsides and complexities...]. And you can imagine what is going in on in both their minds... 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

My sense of it is, that the little man is so incredibly obnoxious in his ignorant statements towards foreigners, and for the most part tourists, that the only group that even has an interest in coming here anymore, are the Chinese, and the Russians. These are people who are used to power hungry, xenophobic, ignorant leaders, who say crazy, nonsensical things, and it just does not bother them. For the majority of Western tourists, Thailand is simply becoming a less attractive option, in this ever increasing world of more and more tourist options. If he is to save the industry, he needs to find some wisdom, somewhere, or get some advisors with some wisdom. 

Give it a rest willya.

5 minutes ago, Docno said:

Yeah - I wonder how many of those relationships will survive the visit...

Every so often, you see some 50-something western guy with his 50-something western wife (who has now grown bigger than him by this age) ... and you can see the pain in his eyes as he sees 'single' guys the same age as him living a life he can only imagine. [Sure, he doesn't know the downsides and complexities...]. And you can imagine what is going in on in both their minds... 

Lol, but what is the alternative? Keeping a *pretty* Western wife is like trying to hold onto a snakehead / dalag fish! You could spend your life trying to keep hold of it!

I say, don't pick from the top-shelf, and you'll get a more 'understanding' partner, and then you and your friends can be out there doing the same.

Shoot me down, I don't care. :)

The fact that many people are now avoiding the formally popular holiday destinations of Egypt, Turkey, Morocco and Tunisia and even the South of France does make a difference to the tourist industry in SEA.  Given the massive discounts that Thailand is offering at their resorts it is not surprising the influx of tourists.  For most Europeans two weeks in a 4* hotel in Thailand is cheaper than a 3* hotel in Spain and the food and drink is cheaper too.  It's a no brainer for most people