PE teacher throws mug at pretty student’s face, causes disfiguration

snoop1130

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was getting a lot of coverage on TV this morning. Let's hope that the police and the school are embarrassed into action.

Teenagers,  particularly the girls,  can be bl**dy annoying are times. Disfiguring them is not the answer. 

14 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

I fail to understand the parents in this. If that was my daughter the teacher would know what retribution was all about. I can only assume the parents believe, or gave some hope, that the Police will do the job they are paid for. Now that would be a miracle

If a teacher did that to my daughter his face wouldn't be safe at all if he didn't give some millions very fast.....plus excuses...

4 minutes ago, Thian said:

If a teacher did that to my daughter his face wouldn't be safe at all if he didn't give some millions very fast.....plus excuses...

Sorry, if that was my daughter money wouldn't enter into it

2 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

Totally agree with you

My wife told her about her teacher (many years ago) who liked to appear very drunk infront of his class. As drunk as can be, the students even had to put wet towels on his head while he was laying on the floor infront of the class.

That man now is our neighbour, he is the father of her best friend. He stopped drinking though and babysits his granddaughters all day...believe it or not but he NEVER takes them out of the house, they go nowhere at all (we live in a very nice safe moobaan with great playgrounds and so). The girls don't listen to him, that's his excuse for it.

4 minutes ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Looks like family want more money than justice. This is totally scam society, for money they can do anything.

Rather the teacher should be punished, so that others will afraid of doing that to another kid in the future.

There's an element of truth in what you say but compared to the USA , where the first reaction following an accident is "Who can I sue?", along with other Western countries where similar mentalities have been adopted, Thailand is still relatively sane.

Defamation awards are higher than those for personal injury and it appears easier to take defamation cases to court.

10 hours ago, smedly said:

amongst all the other things we are aware of I have always had the impression that the police in Thailand don't quite understand what law enforcement is, one of the very first things I noticed when I first came to Thailand was how they address something as simple as the helmet law, you see road stops set up to check helmet wearing but at all other times they just ignore it, people can ride past a cop not wearing a helmet and they do absolutely nothing about it, in the west we are accustomed to police enforcing the law 24hrs a day and not at allotted times and places - I could never understand this   

It's about maximizing the collection of tea money collection,  like running sheep thru' a race  for inspection, much easier than chasing all over the paddock.

Apart from the opbvious attitude of the Thai l;egal system and its laws, these wanton acts of Abuse of Authority by teachers has to stop. So far the School has made little if any attempts to sort out the matter neither have the Police who are now stating if no copmpensation figure is agreed they will have to charge the teacher. Why ? Just charge him and hopefully the possible loss of pension and other more punitive measures might actually up the amount offered for compensation , which the Criminal court judge would be pleased to hear about . 

Too often teachers across the nation have abused their authority  in handing out punishment including physical abuse to students some as young as 10 years old, I know I have seen it, but complaining falls on deaf ears with the comments in Thailand we do things differently. REALLY ???

One teacher asked me what would I do as a father if this happened to my child, I asked her the teacher concerned would be choosing which hospital to visit or which lawyer to . She asked me if I was serious , I said yes and then explained that as teachers we should never hurt a child either physically or emotionally, but be a teacher a mentor and a counsellor. This obviously fell on deaf ears, they are not taught to be that in Thailand, therefore the Academic system in this country is broken from the top down. I no longer teach but feel sorry for the children that have to deal with abusive and ignorant teachers.  . Many of my old students still contact me for help .

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Disfigured girl - family seek damages from teacher who threw a glass injuring student

a1.jpg

Image: Thairath

KORAT: -- A family in Nakorn Rachasima are seeking damages from a PE teacher who threw a glass that injured a student at a school in the north eastern province.

PE teacher Paitoon Klaengkrathok, 58,  threw the glass in frustration when students would not come into line and be quiet, reported Thairath.

The director of the school said yesterday that the glass hit a wall and ricocheted into the face of 17 year old Narudee Jortsanthia known as Nong Sai.

It severely damaged her mouth and she cannot use her left eyelid due to swelling that had pressed on a nerve. 

The incident has only just come to light but happened in August at the Chokchai Samakee school in Chokchai district. The mother complained to reporters this week to get something done.

The teacher has so far paid 40,000 baht towards her hospital bills but the family of Nongsai want 300,000.

Police said that in three separate compensation meetings the two sides have failed to reach agreement.

The teacher offered 80,000 at first then upped it to 100,000 but the family rejected this.

Police said that if they cannot reach agreement they would press for charges of assault against the teacher.

Reporters contacted the school director Niphon Phakdeekaew who said that the teacher only threw the glass into a wall as a warning. He had no intention of harming Nong Sai - it was an accident.

Asked where the teacher was the director said he was coming to school as usual every day. But he was having a half day yesterday because of some family business.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-14

Reporters contacted the school director Niphon Phakdeekaew who said that the teacher only threw the glass into a wall as a warning. He had no intention of harming Nong Sai - it was an accident. 

What a load of bull! If a teacher has to throw a potentionally dangerous object into a wall, he should NEVER have been a teacher in the first place!

The teacher should be fired and prosecuted for assault and grievous bodily harm and this should be initiated by the police. Both the teacher and the school should face civil suits for compensation. 

I am am surprised we have not been told that the victim and her mother have been intimidated to protect the glowing reputations of the school and teacher. 

An ugly feudalistic attitude still prevails that teachers are important government officers and their students are only sons or daughters of peasants and surfs who have no rights and can be beaten, abused and raped at their masters' pleasure.

4 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

So the teacher only threw the glass into the wall as a warning therefore it was an accident as he had no intention of harming anyone !

How can throwing a glass be seen as acceptable, warning or not, as it was a reckless act by someone with a temper who shouldn't be teaching ?

What a ridiculous attitude from the school director but is anyone surprised ?

it must have been a rubber wall.

justice thai style is needed. with a rope.

After reading the two stories that are posted, I am curious as to what really happened. The first story, from COCONUTS, says that the teacher HIT her with a ceramic mug that he had thrown at her and it struck her left forehead, as reported by an English language paper in Thailand.  The second story, nearer the bottom, as reported by Thairath, tells us that the school director, Niphon Phakdeekaew, stated that the teacher only "...threw the glass into a wall as a warning.  He had no intention of harming Nong Sai - it was an accident."   Herein lies a problem.  Was she actually hit by the teacher using it as a weapon, for that it what it became, or did he throw it at the wall, as stated.  If so, why is there no mention of the glass shattering and possibly causing damage from shards of glass?  If she was supposed to be sitting on the ground outside, if she stood up, how far away from the wall she was standing.  Incidentally, how did the "director" know he had thrown a glass at the student and missed.  Sorry about that last point, I forgot the teacher was "MISSING" at the time of her "MAKING A STATEMENT IN DEFENCE OF A TEACHER."  Will he have to pay for any damage he caused to the wall?  

First, no teacher has the right to physically "punish" a student for any reason, even in Thailand.  In fact, a few years ago, a law was passed in Thailand forbidding any physical punishment to be handed out to any student.  It still continues.

Second, can anybody tell me, with conclusive medical support, if being struck on the left temple can produce such an injury that affects the right side of the mouth?  I ask because in my occupation as a Registered Clinical Psychologist I deal with all manner of people suffering from traumas caused by injuries, both accidental and deliberate and never have come across this type, yet.  Just a thought as this does not seem to have been addressed by any person making a comment.  

Edited by wotsdermatter

1 minute ago, wotsdermatter said:

After reading the two stories that are posted I am curious as to what really happened.  The first story from COCONUTS, says that the teacher HIT her by a ceramic mug that was thrown at her and it struck her left forehead, as reported by an English language paper in Thailand.  The second story, nearer the bottom, as reported by Thairath, tells us that the school director, Niphon Phakdeekaew, stated that the teacher only "...threw the glass into a wall as a warning.  He had no intention of harming Nong Sai - it was an accident." 

First, no teacher has the right to physically "punish" a student for any reason, even in Thailand.  In fact, a few years ago, a law was passed in Thailand forbidding any physical punishment to be handed out to any student.  It still continues.

Second, can anybody tell me, with conclusive medical support, if being struck on the left temple can produce such an injury that affects the right side of the mouth?  I ask because in my occupation as a Registered Clinical Psychologist I deal with all manner of people suffering from traumas caused by injuries, both accidental and deliberate and never have come across this type, yet.  Just a thought as this does not seem to have been addressed by any person making a comment.

I also wondered if her mouth is misformed like this by the mug or by the doctors she visited after the accident had happened.

So the teacher only threw the glass into the wall as a warning therefore it was an accident as he had no intention of harming anyone !

How can throwing a glass be seen as acceptable, warning or not, as it was a reckless act by someone with a temper who shouldn't be teaching ?

No not surprised but I'd say he's trying to cover their A$#@&  :wai:.

In order to establish legal liability investigators have to examine evidence and confirm the facts from eye witnesses.

If the wall evidence confirms the glass struck the wall, then clearly the intent of the teacher was not to harm the student.

If the intent was not to harm the student, then no criminal complaint will be filed.

However,  a civil complaint law suit could be filed, to attempt to recover all medical bills, pain and suffering and compensation for disfigurement.

No doubt the school would be named, but the Insurance Company may deny any liability.

However, after further demands and considering disfigurement, the Insurance Co. probably would agree to make a small offer leaving the teacher with a financial exposure.

Thailand may have a monetary limit the student could receive.

If so, chances are the teacher would not be able to pay all damages so liens would be filed and those would change his life for a very long time.

The teacher's career is tarnished forever, and he may face steady pressure and eventually resign.  His punishment would be guilt, embarrassment, future teaching applications turned down, and possible financial ruin.  If he is married, future financial burdens could end his marriage.

I'm not familiar with Thai law, but this is generally the outcome in most countries. 

a teacher is a role model and he should not be throwing mugs around as projectile to attract attraction. apparently he had poor discipline control over his students and his frustrations could have been built up over a period of time, bursting into this incident. he is definitely not absolved from culpability.

Edited by sahibji