Rider ripped to pieces in 4am horror crash

snoop1130

1 minute ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

cops probably want a payout and many insurance companies have a built in payout to cover 'cops' expenses. sounds like a joke but it is true.

Very unlikely since it looks like the driver was not to blame.

Ghost riding in Thailand refers to riding the opposite direction.

Many young racers race like this at night and in the early hours of the morning. They ride opposite of traffic, some in the middle of the road weaving in an out of opposite traffic, some with big balls and a death wish ride without lights on.

Seen it a handful of times

2 hours ago, bustit997 said:

My Thai friend says no matter what, the motorcycle has the right of way and the car driver is always charged. So ride a motorcycle at 4 am, probely drunk, no lights on, going the wrong way on the road and it will be the driver of the car doing nothing wrong that waits for the police rather than running, that gets charged with murder. Unbelievable!

yes, there is a perverse idea here in Thailand that the car driver should pay no matter who caused the accident. As usually the car has good insurance and m/bike not.

And no doubt the family of the dead person will demand blood money.

Tragic loss and no helmet would have saved this guy.

Choosing a different mode of transportation?  That may have saved him.

That's the lesson I take from this, someone else's tragedy.  Fortunately, I don't have to learn it the hard way.

16 hours ago, Xircal said:

Yes, that was my thinking too.

I don't understand though why the car driver was charged with reckless driving.

I'm having a vision of a new policy for transparency that any MV collision resulting in a death and no witness requires it because of recently learning even some Thai people aren't honest either. But I'm more inclined to think the rate of the car's speed might be in question depending on evidence that might contradict the ghostly explanation given by the one and only survivor?  Little things like If they look and find filaments for the M/C lights, examination with a microscope can sometimes tell if it was on or not at the time of impact, or what direction it appears was travelling. 

It's amazing how many people almost get away with causing death from careless driving, when Adrenalin pumps and enough time to think of a plausible story that appears to have a few holes in it.

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

to get an insurance payout. i said that already. please read my original posts before replying.

Because that is SOP: charged while the investigation is pending, if the driver is clearly not at fault the charges will be dropped.

3 hours ago, bustit997 said:

My Thai friend says no matter what, the motorcycle has the right of way and the car driver is always charged. So ride a motorcycle at 4 am, probely drunk, no lights on, going the wrong way on the road and it will be the driver of the car doing nothing wrong that waits for the police rather than running, that gets charged with murder. Unbelievable!

Your friend is wrong.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Because that is SOP: charged while the investigation is pending, if the driver is clearly not at fault the charges will be dropped.

would think they would be more likely to drop the case if the cops get payment. friend of mine was rear ended and the cops would not let him go until they got their fee. he rang me up asking for the details of the cop i pay a monthly fee to look after my business. i told him just to pay the cop and forget about it.

3 hours ago, trogers said:

I don't understand your confused mind. Driving on the wrong side and not using headlights is normal in Thailand, thus, the car driver is clearly in the wrong to crash into what is deemed normal driving in Thailand...

I have seen this type of behaviour a lot recently, I have been lucky not to have hit someone, a few close shaves, and yet, the Thai carrying out the illegal dangerous manoeuvre looks at me, as if I was in the wrong. The poor driver above has my sympathies.

...'when he was in collision with'....

....can't make this stuff up....except maybe if you are the driver that mowed him down....???

....'accounts of reality'......

...in a land where lying is the norm***...???

***....according to 'them themselves'.....

54 minutes ago, stereolab said:

I have seen this type of behaviour a lot recently, I have been lucky not to have hit someone, a few close shaves, and yet, the Thai carrying out the illegal dangerous manoeuvre looks at me, as if I was in the wrong. The poor driver above has my sympathies.

That's why Thailand has the best justice system in the world, you have a car and thus you are in the wrong...

21 hours ago, petedk said:

At least the driver waited for the police and didn't flee the scene of the accident.

This has nearly happened to me a few times but not late at night. Motorcyclists driving towards me on the wrong side of the road and without lights.

Not long ago, one motorcyclist was driving on the wrong side of the road but had his lights on. The only trouble was that the idiot had coloured his headlight red. I was confused as to why I was catching him up so fast and suddenly he was in front of me.

Wow, if that would have happened to me I know I would have filled my strides, plus with my reaction time it would probably have been bye-bye bike rider

6 hours ago, HomeinThailand said:

“Mr Piroon claimed that the motorcyclist was 'ghost riding' [driving south] along the northbound lane of the road near the Susco gas station in Baan Muang Mai,” said Thalang Police Maj Sanich Nookong.

Ghost riding would be the proper term riding against traffic as you could end up being a ghost sooner than later. 

It true defining of 'Ghost Riding' for bikes; bicycle, motor bike, motorcycle, ghost riding refers to a riderless bike that is still moving.  Friends and I did it all the time growing up.  Come in for a stop but not stop the bike and hop off.  Bike would keep going and sometimes would crash spectacularly.  We tried to see who could get the best crash and furthest without falling down hoping off the moving bike. 

Sounds like a good idea, cant understand why I never thought of it

7 hours ago, silent said:

I'm having a vision of a new policy for transparency that any MV collision resulting in a death and no witness requires it because of recently learning even some Thai people aren't honest either. But I'm more inclined to think the rate of the car's speed might be in question depending on evidence that might contradict the ghostly explanation given by the one and only survivor?  Little things like If they look and find filaments for the M/C lights, examination with a microscope can sometimes tell if it was on or not at the time of impact, or what direction it appears was travelling. 

It's amazing how many people almost get away with causing death from careless driving, when Adrenalin pumps and enough time to think of a plausible story that appears to have a few holes in it.

I'm not so sure actually. The damage is on the left hand side of the vehicle so if he was driving on the correct side of the road (the left) then the bike has to have been in the wrong side of the road to have hit the car on that side.

Even if the driver was speeding, the biker would still be at fault by colliding with the vehicle on its left hand side.

The only alternative explanation is that the car was on the wrong carriageway when the collision occurred. Most accidents involving ghost riders usually apply to a dual carriageway with a central reservation. The 'ghost' is the driver or biker who is driving towards the oncoming traffic on the same side of the road. 

I'm not familiar with the road where the collision occurred though. Is it a dual carriageway?

10 hours ago, Xircal said:

I'm not so sure actually. The damage is on the left hand side of the vehicle so if he was driving on the correct side of the road (the left) then the bike has to have been in the wrong side of the road to have hit the car on that side.

Even if the driver was speeding, the biker would still be at fault by colliding with the vehicle on its left hand side.

The only alternative explanation is that the car was on the wrong carriageway when the collision occurred. Most accidents involving ghost riders usually apply to a dual carriageway with a central reservation. The 'ghost' is the driver or biker who is driving towards the oncoming traffic on the same side of the road. 

I'm not familiar with the road where the collision occurred though. Is it a dual carriageway?

I'm not familiar with the road either. It's just a possible explanation from what I am familiar with including the policy for the question of why was the apparent victim charged with reckless driving, based on only all of one one photograph of damage to the left side of a car  that might lead a person of reasonable intelligence to an erroneous conclusion when combined with a second hand story about what could have been a second rate investigation at that time of day. 

Otherwise I got tired of thinking about lies and explanations for gore and guts years ago. 

I often consider that the western approach of  if a person is committing an offence, be it ghost riding, no insurance, no licence, under age, no helmet etc they are automatically at fault is far better. It would save a lot of soul searching.

Fortunately (?) as more Thais are driving cars now the days of 'farang automatically at fault' are becoming an urban myth. Not a factor in this case though but it pays to have a good insurance company who will send out a rep.

I feel sorry for the car driver as he has been involved in an incident that took a (preventable) life if only the moronbike driver had been complying with the traffic laws. Fault lies plainly at the feet of the cops who do very little in the way of enforcement.

fining people for no licence insurance or helmet does nothing if the bikes and drivers remain on the road. The current fines are no deterrent.