Nearly 3000 migrants taking Thai jobs rounded up in latest crackdown

webfact

Nearly 3000 migrants taking Thai jobs rounded up in latest crackdown

p2.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- The Labor Department have announced figures showing that nearly 3000 workers nationwide have been rounded up illegally doing jobs reserved for Thais.

And out of more than 5,000 factories checked some 481 Thai owners face charges for hiring illegal workers, reported Thairath.

Most of the workers caught are from Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos.

The department said that migrant workers are only allowed to do work in two categories - unskilled labor of 24 specific kinds and house

work. All other jobs - 39 of which are listed -  are reserved for Thais under legislation promulgated in 1979.

The figures released yesterday show the following:

In Bangkok 2,988 work places and 52, 639 workers were checked. Employers fined numbered 217 with 1,298 people doing illegal jobs. Of

these 675 were from Myanmar, 88, Laos, 381 Cambodia and 154 from other countries.

In the rest of the country 2,638 places and 46,416 workers were checked. Some 264 employers and 1,646 workers were breaking the law.

Of these 939 were from Myanmar, 120 Laos, 370 Cambodia and the rest from other countries.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-14

I am always doing a Thai's job here, picking up their garbage, or putting items to be recycled in the right places. Cleaning up the shit that they leave on the beaches etc. I have not been arrested or deported yet.  Yeah I know even volunteer work needs a visa and W.P.

2 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

Some apparently see this as an improvement. :coffee1:

remember when the army first got in and went gung ho after the poor Burmese and Cambodian building laborers? there were rumors of the foreign workers being fired on if they ran but i dont know if that was true. anyway tens of thousands of workers went back to their home countries and many work sites ground to a halt without enough workers. wonder if this will cause the same problem. one builder i know in pattaya had a gang of Burmese workers and was paying off the officials but got busted by the army.  a lot of palms to grease now.

Makes me laugh ! There is a major labour shortage in Thailand of both skilled and unskilled workers. What happened to the introduction of the AEC and the relaxing of work restrictions. Thailand needs foreign workers so its time to rewrite the law which is clearly outdated.

"No word about  changing the 1979 job list to accommodate the 2015 ASEAN treaties?"

The ASEan economic community that came into effect in 2015 had no real effect on employment of nationals of member countries in Thailand. The government named 8 professional categories that would be allowed to work here, but they still would all have to pass Thai exams before they could work. 

22 minutes ago, shirtless said:

There is a major problem with the Thai work ethic, it doesnt exist. They will soon bend the rules as developers apply some pressure.Mai Pen Rai

How right you are!

They would sooner take their underwear off than do an honest days work. Also, it's the Thais who employ all these people from Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. why?  we all know, slave labour and don't / dare not complain.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

nearly 3000 workers nationwide have been rounded up illegally doing jobs reserved for Thais.

3 hours ago, RBOP said:

severe labour shortage in Thailand

With an alleged unemployment of about 0.4%, what Thai jobs are being stolen  by any foreigner?

4 hours ago, RBOP said:

Last I checked there was a severe labour shortage in Thailand. Not enough construction workers or labourers. These are jobs Thais dont want.

Jobs

Work scares Thais just ask the motorbike taxi guys. Threatening them sorts with work could seriously get you killed.   :coffee1:

OMG !! If they arrest all the Burmese & Cambo workers who is going to make & serve all the Jok & Kow Tom?

All our fav CM restaurants were 100% staffed by these hard workers.

No Thai's want these jobs as they do better with a stall in the Talad