Heads Up !!! The Hangout At Handong

evenstevens

9 hours ago, MadMac said:

The October beer was ok, too expensive anyway. Pizza sucks, they don't put tomato sauce on it. The owner throws perhaps a round of free drinks, it's nice. Overall I don't think it will survive. Thais don't go there and for me it was a one time and skip.

I quite like the place. I think they are doing a great job ... the imported German Oktoberfest beer at 199 bht for 500ml is for me a great deal - but I understand that there will always be Cheap Charlies who complain when Chang is too expensive at 60 baht.

I very much doubt that they will miss you. It's a happy place and miserable people never like happy places.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

It appears that they are trying to do something that works sometimes in Sukhumvit and almost never in the Thaphae area...They are about where the Game was after the first round of price cuts, but that was already too !aate for them.  99 for a Tiger? Maybe in bkk, but never at an empty bar.  The salad sounds like a fail, and after getting the baby Romaine at 6 for 20 THB at Royal Project it is unlikely I will ever eat a restaurant salad again.  And that popular cream stuff is almost as bad as ice in beer.  No mention of HH?

KKK --- I'm rather fond of the Caesar salads at Dukes and the Sunday buffet at Le Meridien.  I can't imagine trying to make something like that at home.

On 28/10/2016 at 8:31 AM, mcm991 said:

I very much doubt that they will miss you. It's a happy place and miserable people never like happy places.

Perhaps, who gives a sh*t. I said it was ok, not extraordinary, then you come and tell me I'm a miserable people because I said they put no tomato on the pizza :).

Happy people, enjoy. No harm done :)

last evening  with a group of Beautiful Maerimites, went to the Handong,s  brightest  and hottest  nite spot,  and perhaps C/Mai  tossed in as well, The Hangout

and the timeless, precious  memories came flowing back, needless to say ably supported by  Beer Lao Dark, or two,or was it  three???

it reminded  E/S of  The Golden Lion Pub  . , Fulham  Broadway, London   U.K. on  a thursday night in the early seventies, where up and coming singers,and bands would  pray for spot, to do their gig, as the big wigs of the music industry were always hanging about the pub ,having a jar or two, E/S clearly remembers,elbow to elbow,  with David Bowie and Peter Frampton, and Richard Harris , seen Rod  Stewart  and Long  John Baldry and  the  list rolls on,  every one from the commoners to the high flyers, were equal ,as soon they step foot in the pub, no huge ego,s were  allowed other wise the Doc Martens ,would be put on, real quick

back last nite to   Handong,s Hangout, on a  Pre  Halloween,s night theme, this place was pumping

from a wee pet of a lass (Thai) perhaps 4 foot tall,and singing as if , the late  Bon Scott  of  AC/DC  was still alive , what a top notch singer and  band they were

to

a  Thai guy ,,who was sitting along side of E/S, who i found out later,is  a television actor/ singing  star of some note, and he did his gig for nick,s , just like the The Golden Lion days, as he just luved the music  and the raw  feeling of The Hangout  Crowd being provided and  could,nt he hold a note, or two

The..Hangout is  not the venue for the old fud duds, who want a nice place, to graze, and get a bott of tomatoe sauce as addictives, its a place for all age,s who want to be part of the  Hangout  Crowd ,which is simply having a good time, last nite was a rip snorter!!!

a very lovely morning to all

On 10/27/2016 at 2:05 AM, Chiengmaijoe said:

There are people who understand how difficult business can be, and how much courage it takes to give it a try instead of just talking about it, so they wish them well. And then there are people like you, that probably love to see people fail and hate it if they succeed. Which is sad.

The sad part was getting food poisoning there last week. Strangely enough, that would make anyone miserable...

I thought theres still supposed to be no "entertainment" anywhere. Yummy Pizza wednesday sessions still cancelled, UN Irish pub thursday quiz still cancelled, so how come this place can have frivolity etc ? ( not saying I m against it, just curious as to how some can and some cant?)

2 hours ago, EL159 said:

I thought theres still supposed to be no "entertainment" anywhere. Yummy Pizza wednesday sessions still cancelled, UN Irish pub thursday quiz still cancelled, so how come this place can have frivolity etc ? ( not saying I m against it, just curious as to how some can and some cant?)

Yes - we were told anything Halloween'ish would be viewed as extremely poor taste this year including kids trick or treating...I can imagine the farang owners might get an unpleasant visit soon by the authorities....Doesn't seem to be allowed or tolerated anywhere else.....

re

we were told anything Halloween'ish would be viewed as extremely poor taste this year

nobody told this stall in central airport plaza that on thursday :(

i went from warm up through tawan dang , infinity . maldives , the old think

park by the eastin hotel  round the ring road to star avenue mall by arcade

bus station yesterday then up to zoe in yellow and there was no sign

of any halloween stuff anywhere !

dave2

halloween stuff central airport plaza 27 oct 16 20161027_125109~01.jpg

4 hours ago, EL159 said:

The new place opened up the windows so you can actually see in, which makes it a bit better than the old place. However, recently they put up temporary "shades", which according to the owner / manager Aussie bloke was done to hide the band from outside viewing for 30 days.

1 hour ago, dave2 said:

re

we were told anything Halloween'ish would be viewed as extremely poor taste this year

nobody told this stall in central airport plaza that on thursday :(

i went from warm up through tawan dang , infinity . maldives , the old think

park by the eastin hotel  round the ring road to star avenue mall by arcade

bus station yesterday then up to zoe in yellow and there was no sign

of any halloween stuff anywhere !

dave2

halloween stuff central airport plaza 27 oct 16 20161027_125109~01.jpg

Yeah - bet the timing fell really bad for some merchants....

If you read the news releases from the Tourism Authority, it's up to individual businesses to decide what's appropriate during this time of national mourning.  Various Thai gov't agencies scaled back events they're sponsoring and banned various types of activities at gov't sponsored events.  But, they're taking a fairly reasoned approach with what the private sector chooses to do.

However, one can question if it's in the best taste to be seen in public at this time for them to be engaging and promoting the type of activity detailed in this thread.  It's up to each individual.

7 hours ago, NancyL said:

If you read the news releases from the Tourism Authority, it's up to individual businesses to decide what's appropriate during this time of national mourning.  Various Thai gov't agencies scaled back events they're sponsoring and banned various types of activities at gov't sponsored events.  But, they're taking a fairly reasoned approach with what the private sector chooses to do.

However, one can question if it's in the best taste to be seen in public at this time for them to be engaging and promoting the type of activity detailed in this thread.  It's up to each individual.

if one can check their Face  Book out,there was no  promoting their Work of Art, at The  Hangout , therefore  paying full respect to the very  sad  passing away of the King

and from my very reliable  Maerimite  sources , only very light music was played during this time

the G.M. is a very savvy  and highly respected operator of such estabalishments,sure he would not put The Hangout  to offend at this very sad time,without the green light,been given

on Face Book you will see that 4 foot  dynamo Thai lass doing a duo with another Thai lady  singer, the late Bonn Scott of AC/DC would be proud of her

do hope the mngt of The Hangout,bring her back!!!

BTW  Nancy

get your  shelia,s together, if they want to  rock their stockings off, sure the G.M. can arrange a special table for you if  notifeid in advance

sure beats your KSK gig

its  Chelsea F.C.  good morning to all

There you go. evenstevens finally comes out as either owner or best friend of owner of hangout. Eulogising the place all the time, and why the heck would anyone without a connection to the place drive all the way from Maerim to Kad Falang for what is, at best, a fairly average bar with OK beer but less than decent quality food. In fact, I ll go further, compared to quite a few other places in the Maehia/ Hangdong area the food is pretty much bang average. 

Likely five places on Nimman soi 17,alone, that have better food, value, and obviously location unless you tried to save money on the place big enough for your in-laws under the flight path in Dogbiteville.

Do any of the small soi 17 bars have imported beer or is it just the undrinkable local rubbish?

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant