Pleasure derived from the misfortune of other Expats

JJGreen

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to think the same. The nicer and more down to earth expats are not on thaivisa and are found in real life. 

However, i have had some good help here on visa issues and other things.  

Take it as it is. Easier for a miserable guy to type when hes drunk than to your face.  Mai bpen rai. Dont think and just enjoy life

Let us not fool ourselves, it is human nature, humour is built around the misfortune of others. I don't think people revel in  life's accidents of others but there would be a feeling of, 'Oh so it doesn't just happen to me' or even a feeling of satisfaction depending on the circumstance. I think if confronted with someone in dire straights and one could help most people would, that is also human nature.

20 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Amen. I said it before we should be like Thais who stick together in foreign countries. I have never seen Thais behave like this towards each other. That's why falang in Thailand will always lose. Personally, I find it revolting and see this and "the other forum" as something I read before I take a dump.... Save for the moderators who do give good advice and that's the only reason I keep my membership here.

My experience has been that Thai's treat each other terribly abroad ( wives of farang having 'made it to farangland ) they don't give each other an inch,they lend money to each other at 20% interest a month as they do at home, they slag each other off behind their backs and generally try to show that they have elevated status because they made the best catch. 

On 9/18/2016 at 11:46 AM, Henryford said:

Have you been to London lately, i think that takes the prize for the world's trash.

Have you been to London lately, i think that takes the prize for the world's trash

Cannot believe you found. a "londoner".

Just now, SoiBiker said:

Well, it's pretty racist. So yeah, I do.

'racist' doesn't hurt me so eat your heart out, oh and you mentioned 'white not me,local could have meant anyone born in London but like the white knight in shining armour that you no doubt are you had to raise the racist card, 'look at me how well conditioned i am'

2 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Too much white trash in Thailand.

I thought it was only 'white trash' who use comments involving 'white trash' !!! :P

It is a sad, bitter and twisted individual who takes pleasure in the misfortune of anyone else, regardless of Nationality, Race, Religion or country of Origin... 

But to be honest, I do not know of anyone friend or acquaintance  who would take such pleasure. 

On 09/18/2016 at 8:01 AM, IMA_FARANG said:

There is a term used by those who study human behavior which is a German term starting with the letter F.

I wom't even try to spell it because I can't

Losely translated it mens "Taking gleeful pleasure in other  people's misfortune".

All humans will display it sometimes, usually when something they dislike happens to them and they they see something bad happen to another person.

Part of it is that you nay  think "better you suffer than me".

It is a normal human reaction you will see in all countries afound the world.

It is not a logical human reaction to enjoy, even if briefly, seing another person dixcomforted by an unexpected event, but real human bhaviour is not logical.

I believe the word is schadenfreude.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

'racist' doesn't hurt me so eat your heart out, oh and you mentioned 'white not me,local could have meant anyone born in London but like the white knight in shining armour that you no doubt are you had to raise the racist card, 'look at me how well conditioned i am'

So you're happy to be considered a racist?

Wow.

On 18/09/2016 at 4:50 AM, SgtRock said:

You should perhaps seek help for your stalking issues. Either that or change your habitat and stop taking for gospel everything that you read on TV.

I have never met an expat ( yet ) that derives pleasure over another expats misfortune.

Not sure what your home Country is, or the last time you visited, but the next time you go home, open your eyes. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sounds like you are the kind of person the OP is referring to. Slight case of guilty conscience.

23 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Amen. I said it before we should be like Thais who stick together in foreign countries. I have never seen Thais behave like this towards each other. That's why falang in Thailand will always lose. Personally, I find it revolting and see this and "the other forum" as something I read before I take a dump.... Save for the moderators who do give good advice and that's the only reason I keep my membership here.

Not altogether true. A Thai friend of mine advised me not to encourage my Thai wife to work for other Thais in the UK, as they tend to exploit them. Hardly sticking together.

i think it stems from not having many friends in Thailand - so they vent online... Ofcourse the reason they dont have many friends here is probably cos they are miserable bastards and just complain all day long. Then ofcourse you have the Pro Thailand brigade, those that try to do the exact opposite by praising everything the Thais do, and saying if you dont like it go home... LOL

However both camps are usually Off their rockers.... and should be taken with a pinch of salt and a tequilla.

Not peculiar to expats per se.  It's because a high percentage of expats are elderly.

A high percentage of the elderly tend to display excessive schadenfreude.

The worlds population is aging so it is increasingly filling with (to use a poetic Anglo-Saxon phrase) "Miserable old c***s".

1 minute ago, SoiBiker said:

People still say stuff like this in 2016? Amazing. The sooner bigoted old dinosaurs like you are extinct, the better.

I say what many think but are too PC to say. Old dinosaurs ? isn't that a bit ageist? you will be in trouble with the PC grand master 

38 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I say what many think but are too PC to say. Old dinosaurs ? isn't that a bit ageist? you will be in trouble with the PC grand master 

You have no idea what other people think. People like you bang on about 'PC' because you're unwilling to face the fact that the world has moved on, and your opinions are unpopular, unpleasant and unwelcome. 

5 hours ago, BlindMagician said:

The irony of it.

Your comment is actually a perfect reflection of itself as a response to my comment "15".

Why does me writing "15" lead to your comment, and how does "15" offend you so?

Take another, much close look, as to why I wrote "15", as part of a quote - look at the profile I was quoting.

Here's a big clue - its a maths thing.

Well said - I think it was an automatic reflex response (not thinking).

Time for the beans to move and for a change, me thinks.

The Lo Shu magic square - basis of Feng Shu etc etc - born on the back of a turtle (allegedly).

2 hours ago, djlest said:

i think it stems from not having many friends in Thailand - so they vent online... Ofcourse the reason they dont have many friends here is probably cos they are miserable bastards and just complain all day long. Then ofcourse you have the Pro Thailand brigade, those that try to do the exact opposite by praising everything the Thais do, and saying if you dont like it go home... LOL

However both camps are usually Off their rockers.... and should be taken with a pinch of salt and a tequilla.

Dont forget the slice of lemon !  (or lime) 

Go you, soalbundy.

Probably don't agree with all your views, but l am firmly on your side when it comes to rejecting the PC Brigade who don't like to hear the truth.

Screw their delicate feelings……what about mine.?

Did SoiBiker say that the world has moved on?--moved on?, more like gone down hill.

Ah well, us dinosaurs will be dead one day & l wish you PCs, good luck.

You're going to need it.