“Tiew Thai Me Hey” tourism promotion music video draws cultural protest 

webfact

“Tiew Thai Me Hey” tourism promotion music video draws cultural protest 

210905-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A leading culture protector has called on the state to consider censoring an official music video (MV) promoting tourism in the country reasoning that the "Tossakan giant, the major literary character in the video was inappropriately and incorrectly used to perform the show.

Ms Ladda Tangsupachai, the former director of the Cultural Surveillance Centre of the Culture Ministry, has lodged complaint with the Bunditpatanasilpa Institute of the Fine Arts Department accusing that the official music video “Tiew Thai Me Hey” now widely viewed on the Internet carried several scenes which are considered inappropriate and did not actually reflect the giant’s original role as depicted in the Thai classic literature.

Inappropriate performances of the Tossakan, a giant classical character, the lead role player in the MV, included giant taking selfies, giant riding horse, giant driving go-cart.

She said Tossakan giant in the Ramakien literature, the Thai national epic, in fact never rides horse but elephant.

Her complaint later prompted the Department of Cultural Promotion to call a meeting of academics, experts and producer of the music video to find a solution to the problem.

It was later agreed that the producer would make correction of the inappropriate scenes which were accused of.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tiew-thai-hey-tourism-promotion-music-video-draws-cultural-protest/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-21

That picture to me really represents the hearts of many of the Thai people I know. It turns a traditional Thai figure into something a Thai cartoon-like character with craziness and fun.  This is to get Thais to tour but I bet some foreigners will be attracted by it as well.

What the #$@% is wrong with these $%#!!@&.

Don't they have something else to worry about?

Aren't there any more pressing issues?

Is that really a problem?

With people like that at the helm, Thailand will not reach the 20th (yes...20!) century anytime soon!

But - of course- that is exactly what these #@$&*! want!

...time for happy hour!

6 hours ago, trogers said:

Ask tourists from the province of Canton for the meaning of that first word in this post's Title...

What, "Tiew" ? A Thai word meaning "to tour" or "to visit". It's even written in Thai, the video being aimed at Thai's and everything.

Edited by Captain Jack

7 hours ago, webfact said:

She said Tossakan giant in the Ramakien literature, the Thai national epic, in fact never rides horse but elephant.

Dammit, I just sprayed coffee  all over my laptop. 

As soon as I stop laughing I might get upset about it. 

Sometime next week probably...

Edited by Bluespunk