Now why would someone park all these old planes in a Chiang Mai rice paddy?

webfact

Now why would someone park all these old planes in a Chiang Mai rice paddy?

p3.jpg

Image: tnamcot

CHIANG MAI: -- Chiang Mai villagers are scratching their heads after a large number of old planes have started appearing in the middle of a local rice paddy.

There are wings and bits of fuselage all over the plot of land that the local headman said was privately owned, reported tnamcot.

But no one knows why they are there or what their intended use is.

There is speculation that the owner may be planning a resort or a restaurant but the local authority have yet to be contacted for permission of any kind.

Phoo Yai Baan (village elder) Phinit Khandorkmai said that it was creating great interest among both kids and adults alike in his village of Mae Ka Tai in Talat Yai sub district of Doi Saket.

He said that the plane parts had arrived on huge transporters in several lots creating some big traffic jams in the area. Many locals were visiting to take pictures and speculation was rife as to what it all meant.

Phinit said he did not know who the 200 rai plot of land belonged to or what was their intention as the local authority had received no official contact.

Source: tnamcot

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-22

Made your day, did it?

I guess you've never been to Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, Arizona.

Home of the biggest aircraft boneyard in the world. The sight of it is really mind-boggling.

Your tax dollars at work.

Edited by JingerBen

12 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

Obviously someone who has more money than they know what to do with. A government official, high ranking military officer or a local silvertail perhaps.

A scrap metal dealer acquires some land, uses it to store his scrap metal. Fact . Now for the thai basher." Obviously someone who has more money than they know what to do with. A government official, high ranking military officer or a local silvertail perhaps".       Get a life.

9 hours ago, JingerBen said:

Made your day, did it?

I guess you've never been to Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, Arizona.

Home of the biggest aircraft boneyard in the world. The sight of it is really mind-boggling.

Your tax dollars at work.

Actually they salvage many parts from those mothballed aircraft so it is our tax dollars at work.

One of the few things I don't mind paying taxes to finance.

7 hours ago, sandgroper2 said:

A scrap metal dealer acquires some land, uses it to store his scrap metal. Fact . Now for the thai basher." Obviously someone who has more money than they know what to do with. A government official, high ranking military officer or a local silvertail perhaps".       Get a life.

Thank you.  These sort of posts make life on this forum slightly more bearable.  Shows that not everyone is on a permanent vinegar IV drip.

6 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Actually they salvage many parts from those mothballed aircraft so it is our tax dollars at work.

Off-topic, but your comment reminded me of a now dated article about the C-27J program. 

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/10/07/new-air-force-planes-go-directly-to-boneyard.html

8 hours ago, ClutchClark said:
8 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

You're being ironic about taxes, of course.

Maybe some of those junk parts from Davis could be used to upgrade the F-35 which has been termed "Flawed beyond redemption" in spite of the $40 billion+ spent on it already.

Or they could come and look for what they need in this rice field in Doi Saket.

Another Kool-Aid?

I don't think these are going to part of a new scrap metal business. The aircraft have been broken up at Don Muang at the old cargo centre. I don't think it makes economic sense to transport them all the way by road from DMK on huge trucks to Doi Saket just to be stored at a new scrap metal business. Looks like somebody has plans for these? 

Restaurant in and under an Airbus,  resort, entertainment, fishing (there's 3 small lakes on the land as well) it might all be there in the in the future. Who knows ? Would be very welcome though, awesome !! Looking forward to it !!

Edited by Pops

20 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

I don't think these are going to part of a new scrap metal business. The aircraft have been broken up at Don Muang at the old cargo centre. I don't think it makes economic sense to transport them all the way by road from DMK on huge trucks to Doi Saket just to be stored at a new scrap metal business. Looks like somebody has plans for these? 

What plans would you suggest, rebuild them? Taking a second look, they do look like somebody has plans for them.

Sandgroper they do look like junk. I have no idea what they may be used for apart from some sort of background decoration for a resort or business? There are scrap yards all around Bangkok . It seems odd that a scrap dealer would buy these aircraft then transport them all the way to a field near Doi Saket. Somebody must have plans for them? Maybe it's temporary storage before they go somewhere else in Chiang Mai? 

Ive always thought that the retired aircraft would make an ideal house/home.  On the internet you can find people and places that have converted airliners for just that.  It makes sense in some ways as they are weather proof but costs to buy and then outfit into a home are not cheap.

Transportation costs in the West is also quite an expense.  If you lived in Arizona then it would be so bad but I had read that storage fees prior to moving a fuselage onto your site can get rather costly.

Still...if I had the $$$$, Id like to 'plant' a large plane on the side of a large hill or mountain back in NZ and convert it into an awesome home.  Wouldnt the wings make a great balcony?  Probably a bit late to add it to my bucket list..... dreams are free.

Id say whoever brought these airframes must have something in mind for them apart from scrap value.

It's a Thai Navy secret DIY construction site (not so secret now) for submarines the Navy wants so bad.  Haven't been able to buy already-built subs, so now they are desperate....they are going to make their own subs from various airplane, ship, truck, and circus ride scrape parts.  

• 5 weeks later...
On Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 8:07 PM, Paul944 said:

Does some know the exact location? It sounds as a fun tourist attraction after surviving a cable ride and a dive in the grand canyon.

It's quite a long way from cnx not much to see when u get there and it's quite hard to find

22 hours ago, true blue said:

It's quite a long way from cnx not much to see when u get there and it's quite hard to find

If someone can post the coordinates, finding it will not be that hard anymore. Although we probably go for a relaxed bamboo rafting instead. If there is still some water left in the streams.