Big crack found on bottom of sunk vessel in Ayutthaya

webfact

Big crack found on bottom of sunk vessel in Ayutthaya

AYUTTHAYA, 22 September 2016 (NNT) - Authorities have begun their forensic work on the double-decker ferry that capsized on the Chao Phraya River on Sunday and killed 28 people. 

A team of boat builders, forensic police and Marine Department officials inspected the ferry in Ayutthaya province, after it was pulled out of the river yesterday. They discovered a 9.6-meter crack in the hull of the 27.5-meter vessel, which authorities surmise resulted in the boat taking on water and sinking quickly. The damage occurred when the boat collided with a concrete pillar in front of Wat Sanam Chai temple. 

Ayutthaya Deputy Police Chief Pol. Col. Thanasak Panyaem charged the helmsman, Wirat Chaisirikul, with reckless driving, operating on an invalid license, and overloading the boat. He is considering an additional charge of vehicular manslaughter. 

The driver is now being detained at Ayutthaya Provincial Court. Police have yet to press charges against the boat owner, as he is first required to deal with compensation of deaths and injuries. Six people are recuperating at hospital, while one person remains in serious condition.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-09-22

It probably be the size of the crack in the brains of those who helms and

operates those death traps they call boats... I'd sue their pants off and take

every baht they own those murderers.....

Edited by ezzra

11 minutes ago, ezzra said:

It probably be the size of the crack in the brains of those who helms and

operates those death traps they call boats... I'd sue their pants off and take

every baht they own those murderers.....

Don't hold back, just come out with it and say what you mean. I doubt many (if any) would disagree with you.

"They discovered a 9.6-meter crack in the hull of the 27.5-meter vessel, which authorities surmise resulted in the boat taking on water and sinking quickly "

Thanks for the info Captain Obvious!!!

Must take a real expert to make a connection with a 9.6 meter crack in the hull of a boat and that same boat taking on water and sinking.

I've watched this video from Thai Rath a few times and this guys explanation of what happened makes sense to me. The ferry couldn't slow down due to the currents and weight of people on the ferry. It crashed into the side of the concrete jetty. Causing the nearly 10 metre split in the hull. As the ferry began sinking due to 150 people being on board the weight had the ferry dangerously low in the water anyway so it only took moments, seconds before the water came rushing over the sides and capsizing it. People sat on the lower deck had no chance of escape.

23 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

I've watched this video from Thai Rath a few times and this guys explanation of what happened makes sense to me. The ferry couldn't slow down due to the currents and weight of people on the ferry. It crashed into the side of the concrete jetty. Causing the nearly 10 metre split in the hull. As the ferry began sinking due to 150 people being on board the weight had the ferry dangerously low in the water anyway so it only took moments, seconds before the water came rushing over the sides and capsizing it. People sat on the lower deck had no chance of escape.

Except there was no jetty, it ran straight into the bank. Tight corner of the river, strong current, bad driving - that's all there is to it.

Some people still seem convinced there was  a submerged 'concrete pillar' - they believe whatever they're fed.

As to the capacity, various videos show how big the boat is inside. It can comfortably carry far more than 50 people - some ministry doofus probably plucked that figure out of the sky, thinking of a different type of boat.

And whether the number of people on board was a significant factor in the crash - I say that remains to be proven.

Edited by ddavidovsky

5 hours ago, tifino said:

has anybody out there, got a photo (aka streetview) of what the river,

and all of that concrete looks like,

- at normal water levels?

I've got 2 images of Wat Sanam Chai from Google Earth. The yellow marker shows the concrete embankment and a couple of concrete extensions are visible under close scrutiny. I believe this is what struck the hull of the vessel  regardless of what post #13 claims. There was no "jetty, but these two concrete platforms visible in these images were probably submerged due to the height of the river several days ago. After watching Wilsonandsons video, it all seems a bit clearer. There is a leftward bend in the river several hundred metres downstream.

https://www.google.com/maps/@14.3412857,100.5458263,738m/data=!3m1!1e3

wat sanam chai.jpgsanam chai2.jpg vessel

I stand corrected that there was nothing projecting - some kind of landing that is part of the embankment. Point is that the accident was not caused by crashing into a separate underwater obstruction as the reporting indicated, but by crashing into the bank as a result of losing control in the current. The captain took the wrong line on a tight bend. Happens to Formula 1 drivers all the time.

Just to harp on about my feeling that the boat wasn't actually overcrowded: this small Berlin river boat has a stated capacity of 50. Note how it is packed to the gills.

Clipboard Image.jpg

This Amsterdam river boat, more comparable with the Chao Phraya boat, has a stated capacity of 180.

Clipboard Image (2).jpg

The boat has a "collision" and sustains a 9.6m "crack" should that read split! (~30.5' for the imperialists!) what materials were used in the construction and what standards was it built to? obviously none! TIT

Edited by CGW