Which Model Will Replace My Ford Escape?

Any advice, on what are my options, based on your driving experience? We have been hugely impressed with all aspects (except the noise damping) whilst driving a 2005 Escape, (2.3 litre) since new. Wish list,for a 2 adult family:

a bit like Goldilocks (not too big not too small) nor too high-riding, we do mostly highway driving, 

road feel/handling, 4WD, automatic gears

decent storage (we will install a LPG unit).

From what I have seen/reviewed, driven, the pick-up-based models are of no interest. The Everest would be perfect, 'cept it is still a pick-up based vehicle, despite efforts to make it otheriwse. Ecosport -nah, based on several conversations with Ford service men. Overall _ I guess it can be summed up as safe, comfortable, all-weather highway driving with enough power to keep us out of trouble. 1.5 litre producing 150-160 HP is not enough, unless there is a turbo option. almost forgot - must be assembled in Thailand.

Do you really want to install LPG?

The only benefits are the low fuel price. But there are many disadvantages.

You will loose the warranty. As far as I know, there are only some pickups with factory installed LPG/CNG.

I don't trust the locally installations in case of safety and reliability. You loose a lot of space if you cannot install the tank where the spare wheel is located.

You may loose some power. The LPG filling stations don't have enough pressure and filling up takes a long time and they are often sold out on long weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Alternatives to the Ford Ecosport are the Honda HR-V and the Mazda CX-3.

Both are more powerful and better equipped than the Ecosport. They are more expensive, indeed...

The HR-V is roomier. The CX-3 more powerful and more fun to drive. It's Boot is quite a small.

Both models are sufficient for 2 adults with not too much cargo.

The CX-3 has a Diesel option with a very torquey engine and a very low fuel consumption.

2 hours ago, juehoe said:

Do you really want to install LPG?

The only benefits are the low fuel price. But there are many disadvantages.

You will loose the warranty. As far as I know, there are only some pickups with factory installed LPG/CNG.

I don't trust the locally installations in case of safety and reliability. You loose a lot of space if you cannot install the tank where the spare wheel is located.

You may loose some power. The LPG filling stations don't have enough pressure and filling up takes a long time and they are often sold out on long weekends.

Thanks for the comments. Not sure what your sources are...and I really shouldnot go off topic. BUT, I have to correct you, I have had LPG installed for 5 years and serviced at 2 service centers (Surat and Phuket) both registered installers of the imported  (Italian?) system. Service costs are minimal. I have never had any problems filling up at highway LPG stations, which is where most of our driving is. No loss of power problems - just drove 350 km at 120-130 (140 for overtaking). I maintain a consumption log, so I find very significant savings, over petrol. Like I say, I love my Escape ;)

posscript to

1 hour ago, frankphuket said:

I guess the following options come to mind: Mazda CX-5, Nissan Xtrail and the Subaru Forester....all from 1.2m-1.7m I assume. If you want a little smaller but still 4wd you could look at a Subaru XV.

I have checked out the whole lineup of Subaru. The Forester  has poor reviews, due to it being quite old design - but you are right, we should test drive it. Also missed the Nissan line. will follwo up.

Thanks to all posters !!! Juehoe is correct about the loss of warranty. we didn't install LPG until after the warranty has expired on the Escape.

Thanks for the comments. Not sure what your sources are...and I really shouldnot go off topic. BUT, I have to correct you, I have had LPG installed for 5 years and serviced at 2 service centers (Surat and Phuket) both registered installers of the imported  (Italian?) system.

I was interested in LPG some years ago. But all my foreigner friends here in Hua Hin and all Thai family members didn't recommended it. I know the Western CNG systems but I don't trust the local installers here.

We own now the Mazda CX-5 Diesel and the CX-3 Petrol and I am very happy with their performance and low fuel consumption.

Thanks. You are absolutely right, about LPG depending on the capabilities of the installer and the reliability of the equipment (mine is Lovato) . The Mazda CX-5 diesel is a very good suggestion. Will check into it. I am hoping to buy a 2014 model, to ease the pain of coming off an 11 year old suv. Any suggestions for websites? Not private sellers, just established dealers. tia.

11 minutes ago, sendintheclowns said:

Thanks. You are absolutely right, about LPG depending on the capabilities of the installer and the reliability of the equipment (mine is Lovato) . The Mazda CX-5 diesel is a very good suggestion. Will check into it. I am hoping to buy a 2014 model, to ease the pain of coming off an 11 year old suv. Any suggestions for websites? Not private sellers, just established dealers. tia.

The CX-5 is a good choice...get very good reviews (espeically the diesel). The Talad Rot and One2Car websites are good places to start...they are in Thai but easy enough to navigate to the cars you want by using the filter box on the right.

4 hours ago, sendintheclowns said:

posscript to

I have checked out the whole lineup of Subaru. The Forester  has poor reviews, due to it being quite old design - but you are right, we should test drive it. Also missed the Nissan line. will follwo up.

Thanks to all posters !!! Juehoe is correct about the loss of warranty. we didn't install LPG until after the warranty has expired on the Escape.

Design has never been a strength of Subaru, but they newer models are not bad at all. The base model goes for about 1.298 for a definitely roomy and good 4wd car. (Nissan and Mazda in 4wd are quite a bit dearer i believe) not sure the engine, but if you put LPG i guess you are not a speed freak. (no offense) I did test drive the XV last year and thought it handled very good, but wasn't so keen on CVT....never have, never will probably. One issue with Subaru is however the dealer network depending on where you are.

If you are in Bangkok and not too afraid to get good friends with a good VW garage there are 1-2 VW Tiguans on the market 2nd hand. Great size of car, excellent engines, both the 2.0 turbo from the GTI (this thing flies) or the very economical Diesel. A bit leftwing....

The CX-3, HR-V are certainly smaller than the Escape....nor are they 4WD.

CX5 Diesel or the Everest.

Despite the Escape being a fine car, both of these newer vehicles are far superior.

"The Everest would be perfect, 'cept it is still a pick-up based vehicle, despite efforts to make it otheriwse."

From someone who has obviously not driven one.

"we will install a LPG unit"

Don't waste your time with that crap - get a clonker.

Well Ive got one & the Everest is miles better than the Mazda BT 50 3.2R I used to have?. To the OP I tested the X Trail & CX5. 4wd. The CX5 feeld quick for Thailand & has great handling. I'd have bought it if I couldn't get an Everest. I needed the extra ground clearance of the Everest for flooding

Well ive Driven one, its nice enough, has its good n bad points but not miles above any other top Ranger, or any other top truck. If you want to notice big diff you must go to the Range Rover and Toyo Land Cruiser.:stoner:

The Ranger also rides better than the 'new' Fortuner so I preume you're not including the Revo in the top truck category unless it also rides better than the Fortuner.

1 minute ago, JaseTheBass said:

The Ranger also rides better than the 'new' Fortuner so I preume you're not including the Revo in the top truck category unless it also rides better than the Fortuner.

The revo has the Vigo chassis and suspension( haha all new !!), it rides terrible compared to the Ranger.

You won't get anything to compare to your 2005 Escape.  I have bought four Escapes for my wife and I, the last one a 2008.  We always bought the V6 LTD.....over here I bought a 2006 V6 which I sold to my neighbor in January.  I wish I had it back!

I think the closest you will come is the Mazda CX5.  The CX3 is too small.  If you are going to be in Bangkok you should consider a VW, Tiguan although given their current problems,  buyer beware.  I have a friend in the States who has the Chevrolet Captiva by a different name and she likes it very much.  The CRV has never interested me because I like my gear shift on the floor console but certainly nothing wrong with it.....I think it has gotten a bit too big and too expensive for my taste.  I haven't seen one but the Volvo 40 series may be for you but it will be more expensive.  The 60 SUV is a beauty but again, too expensive for me.  Good luck.

On 09/23/2016 at 10:19 AM, sendintheclowns said:

The Honda CRV is the same price but more features and slightly more HP than the CX5

The Honda CRV is the same price but more features and slightly more HP than the CX5

The CX-5 Diesel has also 175 HP and but more torque (450 Nm) than the CR-V.

The CR-V is more comfortable but less fun to drive (CVT transmission...).

The resale value of Honda and Toyota is still better than the others. But Mazda gets better since the introduction of the first CX-5. We could sale our first CX-5 for 850,000 THB (3 years, 60,000 km).

The average fuel consumption of the 2 CX-5 is around 7 l/100 I'm. It depends on your driving style. The CX-5 Diesel is very powerful and likes to rev.

On a smooth ride (80-90 km/h) on rural road you can reach values of 5 l/100 km or even below. Highway values are around 6.5 l/100 km (120 km/h).

The Volvo V40 and Subaru are considerably smaller than a Ford Escape.  Personally I would not go near a VW, Subaru or Hyundai in Thailand because their dealer network is too limited.   

As said above, the X-Trail, CR-V and CX-5 are pretty close to the Escape's size and weight but have a bit more power.  The newer engines and transmissions give noticeably better fuel consumption then the old Ford 2.3L 4 speed auto so petrol is not the disadvantage it once was.  The CX-5 diesel is good but expensive.  The X-Trail and CR-V are dull to drive compared to the CX-5 but maybe a tad larger.  The 2.5L petrol CX-5 is now defunct but a used version would be an excellent alternative as the comparison table above shows.   

5 minutes ago, sendintheclowns said:

Thanks for all opinions, esp. Davish's listing. The Xtrail is off my wish list, as it is FWD. we drive through Krabi/ Phang-Nga regularly. When the rainstorms are particularly bad, I wouldn't drive the route with 2WD-FWD.

Right , I have shortened my list to:

MAZDA CX-5 2.5 litre (maybe I'm wrong, but don't the 2 liter models have manual tranny's ?) and

HONDA CRV 2.0E and CRV 2.4 EL

I might start looking for a low mileage 2014-2015 Escape :) and get away from wandering around car dealer land. 

since there are some very informed posters here, i wonder is it possible to take something like a Tribute or Fortuner, etc. and lower the suspension? My wife has mobility problems, like stepping up/down (we're mid 70's).

The last of the Escapes were sold at very large discounts because they were pretty outdated when Ford finally pulled the model from the market.  From memory they were selling around 1M baht new so a used one should be pretty good value. 

The X-Trail has 4WD versions for the higher models, the same as the CX-5 and CR-V.  

The CX-5 petrol models are FWD, not 4WD.

The Mazda Tribute is a an Escape with Mazda badges.

The fortuner TRD models have slightly lower suspension.  Lowering a Fortuner beyond that may not work out well as they do not have a lot of clearance around the wheel arches.  

Yes the cx-5 has 4wd but only in the top model. The others are 2wd. I think 2wd is ok for most road conditions, even rain storms, as long as you aren't driving too fast. Most cars are 2wd fwd after all. Unfortunately the cx-5 is 1.6M++ in 4wd form. However, there are plenty of the earlier model for sale in the 1-1.2M range on the sales websites. At 1.6-1.7M I'd be looking at other cars, such as stretching to a new honda accord. Unless you are doing light off-roading, the 2wd should be adequate though. 

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Yes the cx-5 has 4wd but only in the top model. The others are 2wd. I think 2wd is ok for most road conditions, even rain storms, as long as you aren't driving too fast. Most cars are 2wd fwd after all. Unfortunately the cx-5 is 1.6M++ in 4wd form. However, there are plenty of the earlier model for sale in the 1-1.2M range on the sales websites. At 1.6-1.7M I'd be looking at other cars, such as stretching to a new honda accord. Unless you are doing light off-roading, the 2wd should be adequate though. 

Using your chart and comparing specs at carbay.com, I am leaning towards  the Honda CR-V 2.0E. it has 4WD, 300,000 baht less than the Mazda. Admittedly, you get less power/torque and minor bells and whistles. + leather seats suck.

Archived