Best steakhouse in BKK

elizabethay

I ate at Arno's the other day.  First good steak in 4 years (since arriving in thailand).  Butcher shop, select your cut and amount, and they cook it for you.  Similar to a restaurant in Los Angeles and Las Vegas that I've been to in the past.  Aged and marbled to USDA Prime quality is about 2500baht/kg  (about the same for aged prime quality in the US).  What looked like aged and USDA choice grade was about 1400/kg.  I chose a bone in ribeye, prime.

They dont trim well as is the thai style preference.  So there was quite a bit of fat that needed to be trimmed at the table.  Ruth Chris, Morton's, Delmonico, Nick & Stef, ect similar places in the US would trim the fat and only leave what is necessary for proper grilling or broiling.  My steak was grilled properly, medium rare,  cool at the center.  Salt and Pepper grinder is available at the table. The steak is seasoned lightly with salt and pepper during the grilling, just the way I like it.

Sides are extra, as is in the US steak houses i'm familiar with.  The sauteed mushroom is NOT recommended.  The Caesar salad wasn't bad.   They had a favorite scotch of mine, lagavulin, but it will cost you, and the pour isnt a single dram over a measure.  Three doubles and you can buy the entire bottle for the same price.  plus it will feel like you only had two doubles.

Its a nice, small intimate place.  so reserve early.  Overall, i will repeat, but i'll bring my own scotch/red, thank you.

https://www.facebook.com/arnobutcher/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Can not vouch for its quality today but 45 years ago this was by far the best steak house in Bangkok and believe it is still top tier.  Neil's Tavern

It was called Nick's Tavern, (not Neil's) and the restaurant was run by a Hungarian polyglot called Nick Jero - occasionally assisted by his brother - who's name I forget - and Nick's wife ...... Renee??

It was located on the then Wireless Circle, where Wireless Road, Sathorn and Rama IV meet (it's now an intersection, not a roundabout, with a huge "Q House" tower block on the site) in a very old Thai style wooden building which was apparently the Palace of an old Thai Princess. Apart from the excellent food the place was distinguished by hundreds - possibly thousands - of Customer name cards pinned to the walls.

I used to live on Sathorn at that time - early 70's - and would go to eat at Nick's Tavern 5 or 6 times a month; Steaks and Seafood were great, and the winelist was rather good considering the lack of choice in Bangkok at that time.

I am pretty sure Nick never made a profit from my patronage, because after my meal Nick would sit himself down at the table and we would polish off a bottle of Plum Brandy between us while we talked, after which he would insist that I go home - about 500 meters down Sathorn - in his huge American car, with Driver.

After Nick died - many years ago - his wife opened a Nick's Tavern in Sukhumvit Soi 16 but I only went there once and was not impressed - not sure if that place still exists?

"Neil's Tavern" is a comparatively new operation with - I think - 2 branches, one in Soi Ruam Rudee at the Wireless Road end and the other in Soi Asoke. I have been to the Ruam Rudee branch a couple of times but am completely turned off by their practice of displaying hard frozen Steaks and inviting the Customer to choose his preferred piece ............ less than 30 minutes later the cooked Steak is presented to the Customer - so it has obviously been "zapped" in a Microwave then cooked; not the way I want my Baht 2,000 Steak to be treated! Of course I am not so foolish as to believe that this practice is not carried out elsewhere but somehow "showcasing" it in this way is a major turn-off for me.

At the moment my favourite places for Steak are Gaucho on Soi 19 Sukhumvit and the Rooftop restaurant at the Landmark Hotel.

Patrick

• Like 1

It has always been Neil's Tavern and it was originally located in Siam Square (which is the only location I have eaten at) on a Soi behind the 3 movie theaters.  It moved to Soi Rum Rudee in the 70's and had since opened a branch on Asoke which is currently closed.     

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Barty said:

Personally I like the New York Steakhouse in the JW Marriott Hotel on Sukhumvit soi 2 although some people may find it a bit expensive. Another option that is good El Gaucho Argentinian Steakhouse. There are a few branches in Bangkok, I normally use the one on Sukhumvit soi 19 as it is close to the Asoke BTS.

New York Steakhouse in the JW Marriott Hotel

Agree with this 100%, there is no finer steakhouse in Thailand.

I'm not a steak fan but I do love eating at this place.

Edited by Truscott
  • Like 1

It also depends very much on the type of Steak you like... 

Angus - I'd choose El Gaucho on Soi 19 (next to Terminal 21) - You can't go wrong at El Gaucho, but its pricey.

21 Day Aged Tomahawk - Arno's, very decent cuts and quite a range in quality up to USDA Prime and Wagyu (But they will only cook it, Rare or Medium Rare - sometimes it comes out almost blue, however, they do provide a hot plate to continue cooking as desired).

Angus & Wagyu - New Your Style Steak and Burger (Sukhumvit 22) - Competitive steaks (also have a eatigo 25% discount on food) - well worth a visit. 

Wagyu & Matsuzaka - Many Japanese Restaurants, but I'd choose Nippon Kai or Honmono

Aussie - El Mercado (great for well priced Aussie Tenderloin)

Wine Connection also does well priced steaks which are surprisingly decent ... their new venue, Wine Connection Grill (at Groove Central World) has some very decent selections. 

I find New York Steak House at the Marriot highly over priced considering whats on offer else where...  The staff also got up my nose when they contradicted how I want my steak cooked (I like Medium, but they told me I should have it rare, 3 times - Until I got annoyed).

This article from the Big Chilli Magazine covers the steak options very nicely... 

http://www.thebigchilli.com/features/dining-special-bangkok-steak-out

Edited by richard_smith237

39 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It has always been Neil's Tavern and it was originally located in Siam Square (which is the only location I have eaten at) on a Soi behind the 3 movie theaters.  It moved to Soi Rum Rudee in the 70's and had since opened a branch on Asoke which is currently closed.     

Sorry!

I misremembered the name, even when I was typing my earlier response I felt the name I was writing was somehow wrong!

It was "Nick's No. 1" I was thinking about, and in the early 70's that was almost certainly the best Steak restaurant in Bangkok, and as I say it was at the Wireless Road roundabout - I'm very surprised that you never ate there if you were in Bangkok in the early 70's .

Patrick

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

As you linked above, Neil's Tavern has a surprisingly good website for a Thailand business, one that includes a list of the different steaks on their menu (but not their prices) and a history of their opening and their movements/locations. But it doesn't say anything about the Asoke location being closed (which wouldn't be uncommon for a Thai business)...

http://neil.co.th/restaurant/

http://neil.co.th/about/

29 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As you linked above, Neil's Tavern has a surprisingly good website for a Thailand business, one that includes a list of the different steaks on their menu (but not their prices) and a history of their opening and their movements/locations. But it doesn't say anything about the Asoke location being closed (which wouldn't be uncommon for a Thai business)...

http://neil.co.th/restaurant/

http://neil.co.th/about/

There is a pre screen with information that Asoke is closed for 3 months renovation if you just use http://neil.co.th/

Try the Fireplace Grill underneath the Intercontinental/Holiday Inn next to Ratchaprasong.

Its probably more expensive than any of the others mentioned here, but they have a few nice extra touches and it feels more intimate and exclusive than the chains like El Gaucho. For a special occasion i would definitely recommend it.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually if my brain cells are firing corrently today The Fireplace Grill predates the Holiday Inn by decades - was called President Hotel when I ate there - Neils was better at that time.

Bangkok President Hotel Gaysorn Road Thailand 70s

I believe going back 20-30 years it went through a stage of being a fairly hip place to be and be seen, especially among the expat crowd. The restaurant is actually positioned directly below the Holiday Inn, but i presume for appearances they address it at Intercontinental.

On 24-9-2016 at 2:43 PM, lopburi3 said:

When I came to Thailand in 1978 Neil's Tavern was the place to be for the best steak, and yes it was or in Siam Square or in Rum Rudee

11 hours ago, smokie36 said:

I agreed on my burger thread here last year....pics of a few burgers there for anyone who can be bothered to search.

Soi 22, Eh?

Have you not tried the burgers at the breakfast buffet at the Marvel Hotel?

Made with A5 Kobe Strip Steak, European white truffles, topped off with White Stilton Gold  and served with a glass of Dom Perignon 2000?

Marvel Hotel is probably out of the Smoke’s budget range. :cheesy:

Edited by Truscott

4 hours ago, Truscott said:

Soi 22, Eh?

Have you not tried the burgers at the breakfast buffet at the Marvel Hotel?

Made with A5 Kobe Strip Steak, European white truffles, topped off with White Stilton Gold  and served with a glass of Dom Perignon 2000?

Marvel Hotel is probably out of the Smoke’s budget range. :cheesy:

Funny you should mention the Marvel hotel....I did stay there on one occasion......sadly I didn't have my credit card with me so couldn't avail myself of the deluxe breakfast.

I did however enjoy the rye toast with homemade marmalade which is rather spicy! Oh and of course a flask of their finest pick me up....but you have to ask for that as they don't offer it out willy nilly.

:stoner:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, smokie36 said:

Funny you should mention the Marvel hotel....I did stay there on one occasion......sadly I didn't have my credit card with me so couldn't avail myself of the deluxe breakfast.

I did however enjoy the rye toast with homemade marmalade which is rather spicy! Oh and of course a flask of their finest pick me up....but you have to ask for that as they don't offer it out willy nilly.

:stoner:

Apparently the near by arcade has some great 'window lickin' entertainment and broads whose eyes shine like diamonds. :rolleyes:

• Like 1