Motorcycle Purchase

ricklev

Çan anyone suggest shops for sales and maintenance? I would like to buy a used bike for around 15K with as little hassle as possible.

I have a non-immigrant B and a work permit from Bangkok. Will I still need a residency document to transfer title or register the bike?

How can I be sure the title/registration is valid?

Many thanks for your help!

1 Çan anyone suggest shops for sales and maintenance? I would like to buy a used bike for around 15K with as little hassle as possible.

2 I have a non-immigrant B and a work permit from Bangkok. Will I still need a residency document to transfer title or register the bike?

3 How can I be sure the title/registration is valid?

1 sorry, dont know any. used vehicles are hit and miss almost everywhere

2 yes

3 before you pay for the bike, you go with the owner to the registration office, get the title put into your name, then pay

Çan anyone suggest shops for sales and maintenance? I would like to buy a used bike for around 15K with as little hassle as possible.

I have a non-immigrant B and a work permit from Bangkok. Will I still need a residency document to transfer title or register the bike?

How can I be sure the title/registration is valid?

About three years ago, I bought a brand new 125 Suzuki Smash (standard with clutch for more power uphill) for 27000 Baht. Up until now, it has been under warranty and anything that happened to it has been well taken care off by the Suzuki shop where I purchased it (The one driving out accross the superhighway, coming from the trainstation, it's just accross the superhighway on the right)

For the extra few hundred dollars, you might be better off buying a new one and enjoying it for many years to come. We ride ours every day and it is still like new.

I know that parts are cheap for used bikes, but if it only costs a few hundred more for a new one, why not? Then you don't have to worry about getting ripped off either.

I'm going to try and persuade you not to buy a second-hand bike unless you

1) want something unique that can only be found on the second-hand market or

2) you really want to save a few baht in the short term and you like fixing bikes

Many of the 2nd hand bikes have been crashed and thrashed and the shop will never ever give you a refund. New bikes cost from 33,000 and come with a 30,000 km warranty.

For a residency document, do not go to your embassy who will do you for 2000 Baht, go to the Immigration Dept who will give you a certificate of residency for nothing.

I've never heard of fake log books but I'm sure there's some out there.

I've got a Honda 150 RR fully registered and insured (just done) for the second year that I've owned it (wifes' name of course, cheaper for me) and it's in great shape. If interested send me a pm and I'll give you the details on it. The green book is what came with the bike and everything is legal on it.

I've got a Honda 150 RR fully registered and insured (just done) for the second year that I've owned it (wifes' name of course, cheaper for me) and it's in great shape. If interested send me a pm and I'll give you the details on it. The green book is what came with the bike and everything is legal on it.
Coud you explain why cheaper in wifes' name?

I've never heard of fake log books but I'm sure there's some out there.

Maybe not that many fakes ones on the smaller bikes, but once you go over 200cc's, there are many fake books and plates.

I own a 400 Honda Steed, too. When I went shopping for a bigger bike, a few shops offered bikes with ...

no plates (which is fine in Northern Thailand at the moment, but you won't get away with riding your bike in Bangkok without plates and book)

A fake book ( I wouldn't recommend it)

or a real book (a very expensive way to go on bigger bikes)

So yes, making sure that you get a real book, may be a concern, especially since a lot of Thai People buy on credit and may want to sell you a used bike that still has money owning on it. So be very careful, if you buy used.

It's cheaper because I don't have to get all of the up to date forms saying I live at such and such address and other papers from the US embassy that have to be notorized. For me, it's just easier and when I register the other bike I have, I'll do it the same way.

Thanks for the offer Snakebite, but I'm looking for a used Honda Dream or Wave. I've had good luck with used bikes and its nice to not worry about theft or damage, however the advice to buy a new bike is appreciated and I may follow it.

Can anyone recommend a Honda dealer they have had good experiences with?

Thanks!

Thanks for the offer Snakebite, but I'm looking for a used Honda Dream or Wave. I've had good luck with used bikes and its nice to not worry about theft or damage, however the advice to buy a new bike is appreciated and I may follow it.

Can anyone recommend a Honda dealer they have had good experiences with?

Thanks!

For a Honda dealer,I've already recommended Niyom Panich, just north of Airport Plaza on Hang Dong Road. Even when they started with the wrong diagnosis once, they fixed the engine.

As for putting the insurance (and the title) in the wife's name, I guess that makes sense. Actually, I did something like that for the used Nissan, because it was much easier for my boyfriend to get it registered. But when I bought the new bike, it was in my name, and boyfriend just renews the insurance and registration annually.

...Good grief, speaking of modes of transport, a cow, bull or steer just walked through my yard.....

It's cheaper because I don't have to get all of the up to date forms saying I live at such and such address and other papers from the US embassy that have to be notorized. For me, it's just easier and when I register the other bike I have, I'll do it the same way.

Go down to local police station and get letter conf. add for free.