Police stop this morning

garryjohns

Was riding up Charoen Prathet RD this morning and came upon a police road block.

Had on helmet,had licence, had tax paid, but was wanting the bikes book, which is not with me..told me i have to carry it on motorcycle.[Never asked for it before, so i don't know if it is an offence or not]

OK ..he said you pay 200 baht..come with me..walked up the road a ways and there on set up table and chair under an overhanging building was the police money receiver.

Paid him the 200, got a receipt and off i went.

Were stopping ALL bikes, Thai and farang, for the same check.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is ridiculous... Who keeps the Registration Book with their vehicle ???

I never keep the Blue Book in my Car, just in case its stolen... But, I do keep a Photo Copy. 

Many of these Regulations are so counterintuitive they border on stupidity... But, actually we know they are not stupid, they seem designed for the BiB to take advantage off... 

This wasn't a Check Point... it was funding... 

I'm always astonished at how poorly motorcyclists are treated at BiB check points here and how often they are specifically targeted.... 

That is unusual.  I always thought the object of the exercise here was never travel with the Green Book. too easy if bike stolen or gets pawned.  Though I can understand a legal requirement to show ownership, but then again in the end that is not what they wanted demonstrated as could have followed thru with you,

I do wonder that with lack of tourists, chinese, and for me certainly more Thais wearing helmets, that the off the book revenue is down....next stop will be checking bald tyres I guess.

The helmet wearing is certainly catching on among  the Thais I know, through personal or second hand experience they have an increased belief that they will be stopped and fined.  Not necessarily  a bad thing if quality of helmets improved also.

19 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Shocking news. Never heard of such a devastating occurrance.

Yes, for sure ..both shocking and devastating...Yawn..

anyway the gist of the matter was here;

"was wanting the bikes book, which is not with me..told me i have to carry it on motorcycle.[Never asked for it before, so i don't know if it is an offence or not] "

Thanks to other ,far more intelligent posters i now know that it is law to carry it.

PS bill..you probably also missed where instead of the usual TV police threads ''picking on farang'' and "cash payments=corruption" type shit..i made a point of saying i got a receipt and that Thais were also given the exact same treatment, and I had no complaints at all about the whole occurrence..got it? :rolleyes:

Edited by garryjohns

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is ridiculous... Who keeps the Registration Book with their vehicle ???

I never keep the Blue Book in my Car, just in case its stolen... But, I do keep a Photo Copy. 

Many of these Regulations are so counterintuitive they border on stupidity... But, actually we know they are not stupid, they seem designed for the BiB to take advantage off... 

This wasn't a Check Point... it was funding... 

I'm always astonished at how poorly motorcyclists are treated at BiB check points here and how often they are specifically targeted.... 

It doesn't astound me. Bikes are generally driven by people of a lower social status and so are an easier target. Stopping so-called VIPs in their big cars is definitely not going to happen, but even regular car drivers may be someone who knows someone, so why bother? Beat-up old pick-ups are often stopped because they are regarded as being not much different to motor-bikes and the same applies to souped-up, very obvious young guy's cars.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Copies of the green/blue book seems to suffice.

I have a copy of the blue book in the car (together with copies of the complementary insurance policy).

It's not the first time I read or hear about it.

A mate on holiday had to pay 200 like described.

My rent motorbikes in Pattaya have laminated/reduced size copy under the seat.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I don't know what is the norm in other countries, but in the US the first things asked for in a vehicle stop are "License, registration, and proof of insurance please." If you are lacking ANY one of those, you get a ticket, and often loss of use of your vehicle until you produce the required documents.  I can't understand anyone thinking they don't need proof of ownership. It's not just Thai law. It's universal.

I've been asked for the registration book twice at road blocks, and in both instances a photocopy was all that was needed. I keep it under the seat as usually all they ask me for is my license. They may 'ask' for the book or your passport, but usually accept a photocopy of either... unless you are busting their chops... Then you're going to need the actual books. They have all day..... 

Edited by FolkGuitar

Following getting stopped twice in one week (Prior to getting the Thai licence), I took it upon myself to have every imagineable/foreseeable document ready for future checkpoints.

Ive never been asked to see the ownership book nor insurance papers but keep a copy with the bike just in case.

Even if you are paying the bike off, its easy enough to get a copy of the book.

Whats the old saying?   An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure....... and by golly, you gotta keep your wits about you if you want to avoid the BiB  funding ventures.

"Stopping so-called VIPs in their big cars is definitely not going to happen"

Never seen a Benz pulled over in all my time in Thailand, or any car with the cavalry badge on the grill.

john

I was not aware that it is necessary to carry a copy of your registration, but now will.

3 hours ago, mamborobert said:

That is unusual.  I always thought the object of the exercise here was never travel with the Green Book. too easy if bike stolen or gets pawned.  Though I can understand a legal requirement to show ownership, but then again in the end that is not what they wanted demonstrated as could have followed thru with you,

I do wonder that with lack of tourists, chinese, and for me certainly more Thais wearing helmets, that the off the book revenue is down....next stop will be checking bald tyres I guess.

The helmet wearing is certainly catching on among  the Thais I know, through personal or second hand experience they have an increased belief that they will be stopped and fined.  Not necessarily  a bad thing if quality of helmets improved also.

Checking for bald/worn tyres would be a great idea as i see a great deal of them, many on those large aggregate trucks that love to thunder down just about every road never thinking of trying to stop on wet roads or in emergency situations.  Rear lights would be another good target.

They just go thru a list 

You had a helmet  CAN'T get you for that 

You had a license CANT get you for that 

You had Insurance and tax CAN'T get you for that 

Next is Green Book cos 99.999% of riders wont carry the ownership book since what dumb person would do that if their bike is stolen and the book is under the seat, in this corrupt land the book can be tranfered easily to a new owner.

I just say I got no license and here the money IT SAVE TIME 

A few days ago I saw a Thai biker, who had stopped at a McDonalds's to use the bathroom, engaged in a heated 20-minute  discussion with a cop regarding his motorcycle papers after he stepped out. What I found interesting was that a McDonalds's employee was recording the entire event on her smartphone.

Edited by searcher22
spelling

I have been pulled over in a truck and asked for copies of reg book. You are meant to have it. Just stick a copy in the glovebox, saves a lot of hassle. Need the car spec./owner details page as well as last reg. update which goes in each year..

12 hours ago, TheSiemReaper said:

That police stop on Charoen Prathet is near permanent at the moment - my tuk-tuk driver delivered a string of expletives about it as we passed through this morning.

Whereabouts on Charoen Prathet is this BIB stop ?

Can someone please tell me which country does NOT require vehicle registration to be carried when the vehicle is in use?

UK. But they issue a produce ticket giving you X amount of days to produce all documents at a police station. That was before it was all computerised so there chips just two in and check it all on a big database

Sent from my mobile, please forgive the autocorrect.

UK. But they issue a produce ticket giving you X amount of days to produce all documents at a police station. That was before it was all computerised so there chips just two in and check it all on a big database

I've have never understood why, in the UK, where we have the largest proliferation of CCTV cameras in the world per capita, why many of these cameras cannot be connected to the ANPR system in order to get rid of every single untaxed, untested and uninsured vehicle without the need for a hands on police presence.

40 minutes ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

Australia and New Zealand also.

Geez its 2016, i would guess that the majority of developed countries in the world would have all details electronically accessable..

Mr plod knows all your details without even having to ask you.

Some states in Aus you dont even have to carry your licence, having 24 hours to produce it to police if asked.

Aus  also, for example has speed cameras and other stealth roadside  cameras that read the plate and detect if vehicle is registered or not

I have never been asked for registration papers at a police stop in my life, until this one i posted about.

I have been stopped maybe 20 times in Thailand and never before asked for these papers..ever.

It may well be law here, but obviously very  rarely enforced.

Also, i know of one particular poster here who ,if you believe his posts is stopped multi times weekly at roadblocks over 15 years and he himself has only been asked for these papers/books twice in all those hundreds of stops.

Edited by garryjohns

I've have never understood why, in the UK, where we have the largest proliferation of CCTV cameras in the world per capita, why many of these cameras cannot be connected to the ANPR system in order to get rid of every single untaxed, untested and uninsured vehicle without the need for a hands on police presence.

In some cities they do, but they still need actual plod to stop arrest and impound the vehicle.

Just wait till they have remote deactivation devices! First in the car then your wallet then your body.

1 hour ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

Right. So basically, you DID have to have proof of ownership with you that you could show. And NOT showing it at the traffic stop caused a ticket to be issued...  They just weren't as rigid in the timing before issuing a fine. As I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.