Internet Speed....Or lack of it !

EL159

Quick question. Has anyone else noticed a dramatic slowing down of internet speed these past few days?  Now I know it depends to some extent on where you live, which provider you use, etc, but in general terms, how are others finding it recently?

I was beginning to think I d got something virus wise in my laptop that needs cleaning out as it was so slow this weekend just gone, but suddenly this morning all seems a bit quicker, making me think it might be the feed coming in from wherever that could be slowing things down.

By the way, I m talking about laptops, PCs etc, smartphone speed as per normal. Thanks, any thoughts/ feedback welcomed.

It also may be affected by how you "clean" your computer, delete temp files and cache, etc.  I also find my PC seems faster if I turn off the modem/route when I go to bed.

I have True fiber 30MB/3MB program.  Here are my today test results.  I frequent get faster download speed from the U.S., but this is what it is now.

Thailand Result:
Download Speed: 32090 kbps (4011.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3322 kbps (415.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 18 ms
Jitter: 1 ms
9/27/2016, 9:41:03 AM

USA Result:
Download Speed: 17623 kbps (2202.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 3170 kbps (396.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 220 ms
Jitter: 2 ms
9/27/2016, 9:42:27 AM

Yes definitely slower that past 3 or 4 weeks.....I am in BKK.....in my apartment wifi/internet drops out causing a restart....freezes as well......at work some 20km away, internet/wifi (same problems).....have a couple of mates in pattaya/Jomtien....same for them also....I recall a comment a few months ago on TV about the international cabling/satellite setup beaming in/out the connections for internet....they likened it to trying to push a bus through a straw.....or we could all become suspicious and wonder if in fact the powers that be in Thailand have implemented their "internet monitoring"...and this is the reason for the slower than normal speeds....who knows....

8 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

TOT got so bad we moved today to True fiber and will see how it goes. With fiber rain should not have an influence.

I'm in Patong and was getting terrible service from TOT so I looked into True; initially we had both boxes working and using a number of tests true seemed best for both ethernet and WiFi.

Having gone with True they have now gone down the drain and are F...ing useless with ratings on downloads regularly below 2.0 mbps.

What do you do; I have now heard so many complaints about True and it's only "Low Season"?

Perhaps the Chinese have taken the WiFi with them as they have left no money behind.

3BB is the next option as I have heard good reports about them.

Good luck

ADSL here is always slow after rain and that is because there are about 3 million Km of exposed ToT cabling in Bkk with another 3 million cheap landline phones just haphazardly hooked in. I have seen line voltages go as low as 17 V and when that happens, you have to rely on semaphore. Yes, Fibre will always be better, as long as you PERSONALLY have a connection to it. If you use a Fibre connection through 6 Km of Bangkok Telephone lines you are going to be in the same position you are now. Face it, most wire lines here are actually 20 years old with split insulation and sitting in water filled pipes. Maybe signal flags aren't such a bad idea after all.

I've got the basic 3BB package... 600 Bt/month.. just checked.. 18.8 mps!.. best ever... usually around 11 or 12.. 

As mentioned above.. probably a good idea to   delete temp files and cache, etc... and empty the trash bin.. if that makes no difference you could try 'system restore'.. go back to a time when it was working well... good luck..

17 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

These speed tests are a waste of time. All they tell you is for a connection at that exact time you speed is whatever it comes out to. Change to another site and the figure you have is useless.

Not just that but it depends on the server you are pinging to as well......  Yeah I get great speed results if I ping to Singapore..... but if I go to the west coast in the USA the speed is slow.....

8 hours ago, GR8fun in LOS said:

I'm in Patong and was getting terrible service from TOT so I looked into True; initially we had both boxes working and using a number of tests true seemed best for both ethernet and WiFi.

Having gone with True they have now gone down the drain and are F...ing useless with ratings on downloads regularly below 2.0 mbps.

What do you do; I have now heard so many complaints about True and it's only "Low Season"?

Perhaps the Chinese have taken the WiFi with them as they have left no money behind.

3BB is the next option as I have heard good reports about them.

Good luck

555 One of the reasons we went with True was due to some of our friends that recommended them. One of the friends do programming and is permanently on the internet he had True before and because of recommendations went to 3BB and now he is complaining that 3BB goes down when it rains. At present we are at 10.86 down load and 6,25 up load. I think its a coin toss at the moment. Good luck.

8 minutes ago, matta said:

Typ in the URL        fast.com     for a correct result  

You can directly compare with Ookla and look these results 

Nice as it's just like asking the same politician his/her views on the economy.....  you get a different answer every time...

Fast = 4.9 Mbps

Speedtest (using Myanmar as pinging source) = 7.6 Mbps

Speedtest (using Los Angles as pinging source) = 3.8 Mbps

Like I said it all depends the pinging destination.....

NOTE: I have TOT 8Mbps speed service and when I performed all three tests.

15 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Nice as it's just like asking the same politician his/her views on the economy.....  you get a different answer every time...

Fast = 4.9 Mbps

Speedtest (using Myanmar as pinging source) = 7.6 Mbps

Speedtest (using Los Angles as pinging source) = 3.8 Mbps

Like I said it all depends the pinging destination.....

NOTE: I have TOT 8Mbps speed service and when I performed all three tests.

Fast tests to local server, so not much use as it is mostly international servers you connect to, while Ookla is a scam.

I had an issue for the past 3 days with 3bb, now fixed after found a technician that wanted to listen and knows his job.

My speed to European servers was non existing, while US and other international locations were still acceptable.

Before the 27Th of September, that is before a 3bb technician visited my place, I got about 14Mb to UK and 9 Mb to Germany. Tested with Testmy.net.

After his visit I would get between 500 Kbps and 1Mb to Europe at best with Testmy.net, while on Ookla the result would still be between 8 - 10 Mb. Go figure.

I even took my modem router to the 3bb office where they plugged it in and got the same speed. So clearly something was blocked in my account.

Next day the technician I'm talking about came to my place again for some further testing, and reckoned what was wrong, and promised to ask Bangkok head office to fix the issue.

By the evening my speeds to Europe were up to normal again.

But this just proves that Ookla test result should not be trusted.

2 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

Fast tests to local server, so not much use as it is mostly international servers you connect to, while Ookla is a scam.

I had an issue for the past 3 days with 3bb, now fixed after found a technician that wanted to listen and knows his job.

My speed to European servers was non existing, while US and other international locations were still acceptable.

Before the 27Th of September, that is before a 3bb technician visited my place, I got about 14Mb to UK and 9 Mb to Germany. Tested with Testmy.net.

After his visit I would get between 500 Kbps and 1Mb to Europe at best with Testmy.net, while on Ookla the result would still be between 8 - 10 Mb. Go figure.

I even took my modem router to the 3bb office where they plugged it in and got the same speed. So clearly something was blocked in my account.

Next day the technician I'm talking about came to my place again for some further testing, and reckoned what was wrong, and promised to ask Bangkok head office to fix the issue.

I agree i did a google and checked a few other tests sites

it as interesting to say the least

13 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

I've never had an issue as you're describing with Ookla and have been using it for many years. When you used Ookla did you set it up to where it was pinging to the origins you describe correctly? 

Your account could have had a some throttling placed on it by the ISP if they are finding you're downloading too much data (aka Torrents perhaps).

Here's what Fast states, as perhaps it's just not using 'local servers' as you mention but then that's really unknown unlike Ookla:

?
English (US) 

What is Fast.com measuring?
Fast.com estimates your current internet download speed. You will generally be able to get this speed from leading internet services, which use globally distributed servers.

Also Fast does state it uses NetFlix servers:

How is the download speed calculated?

To calculate the download speed, Fast.com performs a series of downloads from Netflix servers.

3 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I've never had an issue as you're describing with Ookla and have been using it for many years. When you used Ookla did you set it up to where it was pinging to the origins you describe correctly? 

Your account could have had a some throttling placed on it by the ISP if they are finding you're downloading too much data (aka Torrents perhaps).

Here's what Fast states, as perhaps it's just not using 'local servers' as you mention but then that's really unknown unlike Ookla:

?
English (US) 

What is Fast.com measuring?
Fast.com estimates your current internet download speed. You will generally be able to get this speed from leading internet services, which use globally distributed servers.

Also Fast does state it uses NetFlix servers:

How is the download speed calculated?

To calculate the download speed, Fast.com performs a series of downloads from Netflix servers.

How do you know you never had such an issue with Ookla, if you didn't compare it with a none flash based test server like testmy.net?

And yes I selected the right destinations, and tried different servers at each location.

Strange enough the ping to London on testmy.net would be <250ms, while on Ookla I would get around 370ms, which is a very bad ping to London.

Since I had been doing speed tests, using both sites, continuously for 3 days it is clear that it wasn't a one time issue.

If 3bb was throttling my connection, which obviously was the case since my speed was normal when using VPN, ookla would have to show the same result as testmy.net.

And yes fast.com uses netflix servers, which are based in Thailand, so no use of all since almost every website a foreigners visit is based outside Thailand.

1 hour ago, Anthony5 said:

How do you know you never had such an issue with Ookla, if you didn't compare it with a none flash based test server like testmy.net?

That's like me asking you, how do you know that testmy.net is providing the correct answer?

BTW, you do realize that every time you do a speed test to the same destination or go to the same website that the path the connection is going through isn't always the same physical path, don't you?

Each physical entity... i.e. Transmission line(s), Switch House(s), Switch Card(s), Transceiver(s) all have a different spec and characteristic thus they all contain different propagation delays which alters connection speeds.

15 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

That's like me asking you, how do you know that testmy.net is providing the correct answer?

BTW, you do realize that every time you do a speed test to the same destination or go to the same website that the path the connection is going through isn't always the same physical path, don't you?

Each physical entity... i.e. Transmission line(s), Switch House(s), Switch Card(s), Transceiver(s) all have a different spec and characteristic thus they all contain different propagation delays which alters connection speeds.

Testmy.net downloads a file of which you can choose the size.Speed tests that work that way have been proven to be the most reliable, but not my problem if you want to be a Ookla fanboy for some reason.

If I do +100 speedtests over a time span of 3 days, and always get the same results, I may assume that they are correct

Ookla use multithreading, same like a torrent, to make their tests better.

http://testmy.net/ipb/topic/28902-why-do-my-results-differ-from-speedtestnet-ookla-speed-tests/

Multithreading makes your connection look better
Ookla speed tests are also multithreaded. Meaning that they open more than one connection to the host and combine the speeds. This often can mask congestion issues. For instance, imagine that you have a pipe along your route that's limiting you to 10 Mbps. If you open more than one connection through that pipe you'll be able to achieve a faster speed... but testing that way will not clue you in that there is actually a problem along the route. Remember, you shouldn't have to multithread your connection to pull your full speed.  

Multithreaded speed tests, like the majority out there, are designed to benefit the Internet provider not the consumer

Edited by Anthony5