Video: several people lucky to survive as trailer comes loose in Bang Plee

webfact

Video: several people lucky to survive as trailer comes loose in Bang Plee

am1.jpg

Video screen capture

BANGKOK: -- CCTV footage from a factory in Bang Plee shows the moments when several people were lucky to escape with their lives.

Out of shot a trailer comes loose from its cab and ploughs into three cars parked by the side of Theparak Road, reported Sanook.

A 44 year old nanny called Kanya and a one year old boy in her care had to be cut out of one of the vehicles. The boy had a slight head injury. They were both taken to hospital.

But the really lucky person may not even know her good fortune. This was an unnamed woman who is seen driving her car away from the scene of the accident just seconds before impact.

The driver of the 18 wheel truck, called Samphao, 56, said the trailer became detached and that part of the vehicle, naturally, does not have its own brakes.

Police reckon that the trailer became detached when the cab braked.

An investigation is underway.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-30

8 minutes ago, Bcgardener said:

In a normal world (where we currently are not, not even close) the trailer brakes would have locked up the moment the air line disconnected from the prime mover as they rely on air pressure to keep them off.

8 minutes ago, Bcgardener said:

In a normal world (where we currently are not, not even close) the trailer brakes would have locked up the moment the air line disconnected from the prime mover as they rely on air pressure to keep them off.

Assuming the brakes were functional (with air to keep them off).

3 hours ago, webfact said:

that part of the vehicle, naturally, does not have its own brakes.

I'm not a mechanic but the trailer should have its own brakes (vs cab brakes), albeit controlled from the cab via an air brake resevoir mounted on the cab chasis. It is air pressure controlled within the cab that operates the brakes within the trailer to brake. I'd think there would be something like a dead man cut-off vis a vis a backup trailer air resevoir on the trailer chasis that upon its separation from the cab that the trailer brakes automatically lock.

1 hour ago, monkey4u said:

Another well maintained vehicle causing chaos in Thailand

The driver should be shot for driving this rig without trailer brakes

No not the driver should be shot.

The whole Gov. Transportation Dep. should be shot for allowing all the safety violations being allowed to continue 24/7/365 and 366 on a Leap Year.  

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Wife tells me it's next to StandardCan factory. Looks like it. Opposite is a uturn and a logistics trailer park. Driver could have been going too fast, saw his uturn late, breaks and turns right and trailer travels left...maybe.

Some peoples comments never cease to amaze me.

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

I'm not a mechanic but the trailer should have its own brakes (vs cab brakes), albeit controlled from the cab via an air brake resevoir mounted on the cab chasis. It is air pressure controlled within the cab that operates the brakes within the trailer to brake. I'd think there would be something like a dead man cut-off vis a vis a backup trailer air resevoir on the trailer chasis that upon its separation from the cab that the trailer brakes automatically lock.

Your thinking is absolutely correct and that is how it was a longtime ago ( + - 80 years) after a trailer loaded with housing construction bricks come loose and careened into school play yard at morning break time in Holland killing scores and injuring scores more of children. This is were DAF made its name with designing brakes that were automatically applied when the pressure to keep them off was lost and the brakes then automatically applied.

Of course in that system the brakes are applied when the trailer is disconnected from its pressure source when parked.  Which is another safety because then the parked trailer by itself cannot roll away on its own accord.

Well I'm sure you know how capitalism works when in control.

Now the brakes are applied with pressure and when there is no pressure there are no brakes. 

While on the subject of trailer brakes, there are now trailers on the road in Thailand that have one more axel with 4-wheels installed and if you care to take a look these new third axel installations you will notice this third axel HAS NO BRAKES. Typical Thailand,  Safe money.

"The driver of the 18 wheel truck, called Samphao, 56, said the trailer became detached and that part of the vehicle, naturally, does not have its own brakes."

In my country, and I suspect many others, these trailer's have Air or Vacuum Brake that apply immediately the trailer is disconnected from the truck. . Disconcerting to know that  this is not the case here !  

22 minutes ago, swerver said:

Your thinking is absolutely correct and that is how it was a longtime ago ( + - 80 years) after a trailer loaded with housing construction bricks come loose and careened into school play yard at morning break time in Holland killing scores and injuring scores more of children. This is were DAF made its name with designing brakes that were automatically applied when the pressure to keep them off was lost and the brakes then automatically applied.

Of course in that system the brakes are applied when the trailer is disconnected from its pressure source when parked.  Which is another safety because then the parked trailer by itself cannot roll away on its own accord.

Well I'm sure you know how capitalism works when in control.

Now the brakes are applied with pressure and when there is no pressure there are no brakes. 

While on the subject of trailer brakes, there are now trailers on the road in Thailand that have one more axel with 4-wheels installed and if you care to take a look these new third axel installations you will notice this third axel HAS NO BRAKES. Typical Thailand,  Safe money.

DAF? More like daft.

".....a fail-safe air brake system that is based upon a design patented by George Westinghouse on March 5, 1868."

That was for use on trains, but the principle is the same.

As a truck driver myself this type of thing is easily avoidable if just a few simple measures are taken when hooking up the trailer and truck together. it takes less than 5 minutes and stop incidents like this taking place.

rt3.jpg

All large vehicles (buses) and trailers have pneumatically operated brakes, two separate brakes for each wheel, one of which locks in absence of air pressure. It might be that there was still enough pressure in the system so the brakes did not have time to lock up?

Edited by AlQaholic

I would surmise the Fifth wheel lock pin mechanism failed and the male pin component bounced out of the female receptor on the 5th wheel plate and eventually the trailer completely disconnect and drifted to the left and keep on steering ahead and to the left and ..crash.

Normally ( IF ) there are air operated brakes on the trailer wheels, the trailer brakes are locked out until air from the air pressure system, incorporated into the truck cab and body and attached by quick connect / disconnect glad hand connections with air lines leading to the rear air brake components, the air pressure will release the spring loaded, locked out brake components, then allowing the trailer to be free to roll forward

If that is the case, when the trailer somehow disconnects and looses the air pressure to the trailer brakes , as seen in the video, then the spring loaded mechanism will immediately lock up the brakes and the trailer comes to a skidding halt.

It looks as though that particular trailer was not fitted out with an air brake system and may of been designed and used for light load transportation where trailer air brakes are not required....or...the company altered or removed the axel mounted spring loaded air actuation components letting the wheels be free rolling and have no braking capabilities.

Cheers