Army Battle to Reclaim Walking Street Pavements

webfact

Army Battle to Reclaim Walking Street Pavements

Report shared by Pattaya One News Team

pat44.jpg

PATTAYA: -- At 9.30pm, on the evening of September 29, Pattaya City officials, supported by the army, put together a team to visit Walking Street and reclaim parts of the footpaths for public use.

Recently there has been an increase in food vendors with their motorcycle kitchens, taxi drivers and other vendors trying to find customers in Walking Street.

This has led to public footpaths being blocked and some smaller side-sois, which could prevent emergency services access to some areas when needed.

In the areas of Soi Pattaya 14-16 no sidecar motorcycles or street vendors are permitted. Shops and restaurants must not encroach onto the public areas and motorbike taxis must not wait in these areas.

All current establishments or vendors who are trespassing these areas must be removed within fourteen days.

Source: http://pattayaone.news/en/army-battle-to-reclaim-walking-street-pavements/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2016-09-30

I hope city officials and the Army also get all the encroaching vendors off the East walkway on Beach Road, along with the motorcycle rental vendor bikes.

One idea is to make the entire Beach Road a No Parking/Tow Away zone between 3am and 6am.

1 hour ago, Colabamumbai said:

Why was the order not immediate, If I was in charge it would have been or face charges and jail.   They surely do not need another 14 days.  It seems the people in Thailand are now controlling the Army. besides the police.

Agreed.

It proves that people get the country they deserve.

Look around ^^

By the look of it the army delegation doubled the population of Walking Street last night. I hope they were diligent in their investigations, going carefully to every go-go bar to find out who the motorcycle owners could be. tough job !!

Excellent idea!  Now the army should also come to Bangkok, put down two painted stripes in the middle of the footpaths on Sukhumvit and Silom roads, at least 1 1/2 meters apart where no vendor can place their displays, with a 2000bt fine minimum for encroaching.  I am sure there are other areas where this should also be done.  Possibly then folks willo be able to walk

5 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I hope city officials and the Army also get all the encroaching vendors off the East walkway on Beach Road, along with the motorcycle rental vendor bikes.

One idea is to make the entire Beach Road a No Parking/Tow Away zone between 3am and 6am.

Who benefits at that ungodly hour?

5 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Why was the order not immediate, If I was in charge it would have been or face charges and jail.   They surely do not need another 14 days.  It seems the people in Thailand are now controlling the Army. besides the police.

It'll take more than 14 days to fix this. They'll be back there again even if they're forced to move on temporarily.

The title of this report is right on point. It will be a battle and one they'll likely lose.

Edited by tropo

3 hours ago, atyclb said:

those food vendors are not bad since walking street is closed anyway to cars at certain hours.

Walking street is also closed to emergency services during certain hours?

If you read the OP again you will notice that the main issue is in the side sois that are blocked by these vendors, so emergency services might not be able to access .

6 hours ago, jippytum said:

Although they are often the target for criticism i think the current administration in Pattaya and elsewhere are doing a good job 

Big fan of authoritarian dictatorships are we? As long as they go after these little guys you can ignore they have been responsible for a 70% drop in foreign investment. 

Edited by pegman

7 hours ago, jippytum said:

Although they are often the target for criticism i think the current administration in Pattaya and elsewhere are doing a good job 

They're running out of soft targets - food vendors, beach vendors, motorbike taxi guys - basically the Working Class. Let's see them go after corrupt former officials, land encroachers on Walking Street (101 businesses), "connected" drug vendors on beach Road and their protectors, the "fake" police extortionists etc. Then I might think they're achieving something.

35 minutes ago, Basil B said:

There are some aspects of Pattaya that if they were closed Pattaya would just end up as a ghost town.

Wishful thinking, but wouldn't it be nice. Fresh air, no traffic - paradise!

11 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

If you read the OP again you will notice that the main issue is in the side sois that are blocked by these vendors, so emergency services might not be able to access .

That's if you believe the cover story.  I'm more inclined to believe they're trying to dry up the revenue sources for their political adversaries.   If those vendors weren't paying rent to someone, there would be blood in the streets as they fight over the choice spots every night.

8 hours ago, sharecropper said:

They're running out of soft targets - food vendors, beach vendors, motorbike taxi guys - basically the Working Class. Let's see them go after corrupt former officials, land encroachers on Walking Street (101 businesses), "connected" drug vendors on beach Road and their protectors, the "fake" police extortionists etc. Then I might think they're achieving something.

I guess they didn't get the memo about what you regard as achievement. Better let them know so they can get right on it.

It's typical that if The Authorities (those cloud-based Authorities, you know) actually do something, then posters sneer at the effort and just point to something else they should be doing in the poster's estimation. It's a form of straw-man argument.

Me, so far I've no problem w/ their various operations and this one seems like a reasonable idea. I mean, if there were an emergency such as a fire or worse (surprising there hasn't been, actually), and emergency vehicles had been blocked in the side streets they're now trying to clear, then the screams against The Authorities would fill 20 pages here at least--and you'd be among them of course.

That said, some of the street food vendors on Soi 15 have been there for decades, and so very many of us cesspoolians have eaten there at one time or another, perhaps w/ a go-go dancer & friends from a nearby bar, that it'll be a bit sad to see them go, if they go.

3 hours ago, JSixpack said:

I guess they didn't get the memo about what you regard as achievement. Better let them know so they can get right on it.

It's typical that if The Authorities (those cloud-based Authorities, you know) actually do something, then posters sneer at the effort and just point to something else they should be doing in the poster's estimation. It's a form of straw-man argument.

Me, so far I've no problem w/ their various operations and this one seems like a reasonable idea. I mean, if there were an emergency such as a fire or worse (surprising there hasn't been, actually), and emergency vehicles had been blocked in the side streets they're now trying to clear, then the screams against The Authorities would fill 20 pages here at least--and you'd be among them of course.

That said, some of the street food vendors on Soi 15 have been there for decades, and so very many of us cesspoolians have eaten there at one time or another, perhaps w/ a go-go dancer & friends from a nearby bar, that it'll be a bit sad to see them go, if they go.

I guess if you just buy into the Fun Town dream you don't really care whether the City is corruption-free or not, run by hypocrites or not, and whether local taxpayers' money is stolen or not..

Year or two ago it was pointed out that ALL of the businesses on beach side of Walking Street are illegally there, as it belongs to Thai people. Any demolition slated? I didn't thinks so. Fair game to go after the little guys, but the blatant disregard of laws by the better off is, well, you know the rest....

44 minutes ago, sharecropper said:

I guess if you just buy into the Fun Town dream you don't really care whether the City is corruption-free or not, run by hypocrites or not, and whether local taxpayers' money is stolen or not..

Sounds about right to me as well. It's really not my promplem is it? I am a guest here... oh, forget that train of thought. Someone will come along with some non-comparisons between how their homeland treats visitors and handles the environment and businesses need planning permission and approvals, etc., etc.. I have no issues with saying if you don't like it, away you go.

For as long as I recall, the cross Soi's behind WS are frequently purged of loiterers, vendors and parked cars with the blocking of fire engine access always being the primary reason. This was also the case before Pattaya even had a proper fire engine. There's no laws or city ordnance being violated so it's all a bit farcical. Then interest wains and  after a few months the alleys and kerbsides fill up again until the next 'new broom' sweeps into City Hall or Soi 9.

Pattaya... It is what it is.

22 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

if i recall correctly most of the side streets would not be amenable to an ambulance even without vendors.

15 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Year or two ago it was pointed out that ALL of the businesses on beach side of Walking Street are illegally there, as it belongs to Thai people. Any demolition slated? I didn't thinks so. Fair game to go after the little guys, but the blatant disregard of laws by the better off is, well, you know the rest....

A year or two?? The 101 as they are known have been considered for demolition for at least the last 20 years!!! but nothing ever happens, some seriously rich and influential "owners" there!!