Deputy PM confirms current administration has power to dissolve new parliament

rooster59

2 hours ago, smedly said:

How dumb is that - do you honestly believe Thailand has ever had an election that wasn't a charade - seriously

and if you want to be educated as to how it developes from there then read my post above

consider yourself educated  

There were twice that the elections were charades. That were the times that the Dem Party boycotted the elections. Rest of elections were monitored by international and domestic agencies and even acknowledged by the highly skewed EC. That is simple enough education for you. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quietly ignoring that the senate only gets to vote if the house cannot agree to a suitable PM.

Not true.

"BANGKOK — The Senate under the new constitution will have an authority to nominate its own candidates as Prime Minister only if the upper and lower houses failed to choose one, leading members of the current parliament said."

Notice that lower AND upper vote for the PM and an absolute majority must be reached across both houses. So the majority party wins 70% of the house seats...unless they can convince the opposition to vote for the majority party's nominee then a deadlock is gauranteed and the Senate then has the right to nominate any person in Thailand.

(The 2nd vote does not need

an absolute majority across both houses if I remember correctly)

Democracy, as we know it, has never and will never exist in Thailand.    The current gang are stitching everything up in such a way that 'The People' will never in the foreseeable future get to decide who runs the country or who leads it.

The 'way of the future' for this country is back to the dark ages !

4 hours ago, smedly said:

so there is actually going to be an effective body that holds any elected government to account

That will be a first in Thailand and IMO is very welcome

nothing like being forced to actually do what you are elected to do

Might I add - I will be the first to call foul with a huge red card if they do anything that interferes with what most reasonable people would regard as normal government affairs 

lets see if an elected government can do what it is supposed to do for the first time in Thai  history

oh yes, some people will be pissed off because their revenue stream is being cut off......I see nothing at all wrong with that

:cheesy:

3 hours ago, smedly said:

I'm going to post this again because it is great reading if you want to understand TiT, it pretty much sums up what goes on here year after year, now we might have someone to scrutinise any elected government - it Is the constitution that is supposed do that but since any elected government in Thailand can manipulate everything to suit their needs ........................... they believe that because they won and election  then they have the ultimate power to do anything - and there is exactly where the problem is, if these people understood what democracy actually is and if they would also believe that elected or not - they cannot simply do what ever the f     they want - it is not as simple as that - but hey..................................going forward we will have a body of people who's task is to make sure  any future elected government - does its job .........................not easy

anyway - here is a post I made in another thread....pretty much explains who stuff works here in Thailand 

if you understand how corruption works in this country then the only side (as some refer too) that is able to effectively corrupt are those that are in office and hold all the aces (excluding the military - see below)

It goes something like this

1. First and highest priority - win an election by any means to get into government

- Once Elected

2. Remove key people in key jobs and replace them with your cronies/relatives

3. All affiliate organisations and people will take over various concessions local authorities etc (we are redshirt)

4. Dismantle - weaken - reorganise institutions that are meant to combat illegal activities such as corruption, remove people that will not comply

5. Amend the parts of the constitution  that inhibit your ability to corrupt

6. Lie through your teeth and hide irregularities associated with government finance

Once everything is set in place - thieve as much as you can until the people become aware of what you are up too and take to the streets in protest 

Yes the military are likely corrupt also as is almost every person in the country - they are all at it in one way or another

The current PM walks a very thin line, if he attempts to interfere with certain people he may find himself out of a job, fighting corruption in Thailand is no easy task, it needs to be done in steps and for obvious reasons the military are going to be one of the last that needs to eventually be dealt with. Others that come before would be the Judiciary and the police - none of it easy.

One thing is for sure, whoever takes on such a mammoth task needs to be holding all the aces for a very long time, the only type of person that fits the role will be a very powerful military person that has good intensions and the means to see it through.

The only other option would be a civil war were the military are eventually dismantled and someone or some group with good intensions wins - very unlikely - hugely costly and damaging to the country  

Stunning in its naivety and inaccuracy.

How dumb is that - do you honestly believe Thailand has ever had an election that wasn't a charade - seriously

and if you want to be educated as to how it developes from there then read my post above

consider yourself educated  

So self assured, so wrong.

If one actually wanted to be educated, they could search out and read an opinion piece published in The Japan Times yesterday - this would explain why the military staged the coup in 2014.

correct, but others here make stuff up out of pure ignorance and stupidity - all future elected governments  for at least the next 20 years will be held accountable - past constitutions tried to do that - agencies tried to do that - but elected governments tried to dismantle any law- constitution article or agency that stepped in their way, now that is not going to happen because there is an agency that cannot be dismantled that is going to make sure that all future elected governments abide by the law and work in the interests of the people and the country............now you can say all you want about this agency and how it will be run but the bottom line is - if they achieve their goal then what a game changer we are looking at in Thailand right now and going forward - future governments will actually be doing the job they are supposed to be doing

The fact that you think Thai politics is about politics, that you think the junta (this and any before it) is anything more than a blunt tool put to crude use by factions of the feudal elite - and that you do so so proudly - is quite funny really.

1 hour ago, halloween said:

I know nothing of the sort. The senate will not be involved if the house elects a PM. This would normally be the leader of the largest party in an agreed coalition.

This only thing quite clear is that this is inconvenient to the scare-mongers.

So whats the point in having it at all? How many other times has there failed to be a PM? Why initiate this scenario in case something which has happened once before the thick end of 40 years ago happens again.... now i wonder.....

4 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

It should be quite clear to the Thai electorate that they can elect whomever they want, if and when elections are returned, but the military will always have the last word.

They've got the taste and won't be giving up power

Despite your disapproval of the means by which this is being done - you have to admit that he is doing an excellent job in curbing corruption and bringing those who commited it to justice. I don't care particularly for democracy - especially US style democracy (a joke). Keep up the good work Prayut and I hope that he remains in control after free and fair elections have taken place to satisfy the moaning Americans. They should get their house in order first before criticising other nations!! 

1 minute ago, lucky11 said:

Despite your disapproval of the means by which this is being done - you have to admit that he is doing an excellent job in curbing corruption and bringing those who commited it to justice. I don't care particularly for democracy - especially US style democracy (a joke). Keep up the good work Prayut and I hope that he remains in control after free and fair elections have taken place to satisfy the moaning Americans. They should get their house in order first before criticising other nations!! 

What corruption has been curbed, by all accounts he cannot even curb issues in his own family never mind the country at large......

15 minutes ago, lucky11 said:

Curbing corruption, really ?

It seems to depend on who the accused is and it certainly won't get too close to home.

Is he getting rid of corruption or opponents etc ?

Edited by NongKhaiKid

47 minutes ago, lucky11 said:

I'll wager you would suddenly care a great deal about democracy if Obama in conjunction with the military decided he was going to stay on for another 8 years in order to 'get the US house in order'...

Edited by baboon

9 minutes ago, baboon said:

I'll wager you would suddenly care a great deal about democracy if Obama in conjunction with the military decided he was going to stay on for another 8 years in order to 'get the US house in order'...

Obama is part of the disease and not the person to orchestrate this. It will take longer than 8 years to sort the democracy out in the US - more like 8 decades. Do you seriously think you have genuine freedoms in the US? Don't delude yourself!!

C'mon Generals give it a try. Democracy is not rocket science. Take a week off, sit at a nice tropical beach and do nothing else than trying to understand the meaning of this:

"Government of the people, by the people, for the people" 

2 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

C'mon Generals give it a try. Democracy is not rocket science. Take a week off, sit at a nice tropical beach and do nothing else than trying to understand the meaning of this:

"Government of the people, by the people, for the people" 

.....and this applies in the US!!!

13 minutes ago, lucky11 said:

Obama is part of the disease and not the person to orchestrate this. It will take longer than 8 years to sort the democracy out in the US - more like 8 decades. Do you seriously think you have genuine freedoms in the US? Don't delude yourself!!

In your opinion. Anyway, so what? I thought you didn't care for democracy so you shouldn't have a problem with it if that is what the military decides upon.

You are correct about my not having genuine freedom in the US however, given that I am not American and have never lived there.

Edited by baboon

3 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Isn't it a bit more like  "Government of the Wall Street, by the Wall Street, for the Wall Street"  ?

.......you could insert so many things in for wall street that if I listed all I could think of I would be here all day!!

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

So whats the point in having it at all? How many other times has there failed to be a PM? Why initiate this scenario in case something which has happened once before the thick end of 40 years ago happens again.... now i wonder.....

Because they are trying to move away from a 2 large party parliament to a multi-party system where a deadlock is much more likely.

I'm going to post this again because it is great reading if you want to understand TiT, it pretty much sums up what goes on here year after year, now we might have someone to scrutinise any elected government - it Is the constitution that is supposed do that but since any elected government in Thailand can manipulate everything to suit their needs ........................... they believe that because they won and election  then they have the ultimate power to do anything - and there is exactly where the problem is, if these people understood what democracy actually is and if they would also believe that elected or not - they cannot simply do what ever the f     they want - it is not as simple as that - but hey..................................going forward we will have a body of people who's task is to make sure  any future elected government - does its job .........................not easy

anyway - here is a post I made in another thread....pretty much explains who stuff works here in Thailand 

if you understand how corruption works in this country then the only side (as some refer too) that is able to effectively corrupt are those that are in office and hold all the aces (excluding the military - see below)

It goes something like this

1. First and highest priority - win an election by any means to get into government

- Once Elected

2. Remove key people in key jobs and replace them with your cronies/relatives
3. All affiliate organisations and people will take over various concessions local authorities etc (we are redshirt)
4. Dismantle - weaken - reorganise institutions that are meant to combat illegal activities such as corruption, remove people that will not comply
5. Amend the parts of the constitution  that inhibit your ability to corrupt
6. Lie through your teeth and hide irregularities associated with government finance

Once everything is set in place - thieve as much as you can until the people become aware of what you are up too and take to the streets in protest 

Yes the military are likely corrupt also as is almost every person in the country - they are all at it in one way or another

The current PM walks a very thin line, if he attempts to interfere with certain people he may find himself out of a job, fighting corruption in Thailand is no easy task, it needs to be done in steps and for obvious reasons the military are going to be one of the last that needs to eventually be dealt with. Others that come before would be the Judiciary and the police - none of it easy.

One thing is for sure, whoever takes on such a mammoth task needs to be holding all the aces for a very long time, the only type of person that fits the role will be a very powerful military person that has good intensions and the means to see it through.

The only other option would be a civil war were the military are eventually dismantled and someone or some group with good intensions wins - very unlikely - hugely costly and damaging to the country  

And who will be scrutinizing the powers that be who will be scrutinizing the elected government? Nobody, in case you missed it I'll say it again because it makes for a good read.
Nobody

4 minutes ago, lucky11 said:

Its about the justification of the powers beholden to parliament - using Prayut's position as an example.

It's about someone who just helped himself to power and is putting all the pieces of the jigsaw in place to make sure he and his people retain power.

12 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

It's about someone who just helped himself to power and is putting all the pieces of the jigsaw in place to make sure he and his people retain power.

Its not actually, its someone who wasn't prepared to put up with the instability and death on the streets created by a bitter old fool intent on revenge and found that actually what he was doing was working rather well and decided it should continue until a proper government could be formed with the interests of the people at heart. That day will hopefully arrive come the elections. If it doesn't and hasn't then we start again until they learn to behave and serve the people rather than themselves!!

1 hour ago, lucky11 said:

Fanboy's version of democracy:

"Keep up the good work Prayut and I hope thay he remains in control after free and fair elections have taken place....."

I think you can bet the house on it that he'll still be in control after those "Free and fair" elections.

27 minutes ago, halloween said:

Because they are trying to move away from a 2 large party parliament to a multi-party system where a deadlock is much more likely.

How convenient. So nice to have multi party coalitions. If history has taught us anything its that trying to build coalitions is a great way to combat corruption. Nothing like smaller parties bargaining with larger parties for a piece of the pie. 

2 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Fanboy's version of democracy:

"Keep up the good work Prayut and I hope thay he remains in control after free and fair elections have taken place....."

I think you can bet the house on it that he'll still be in control after those "Free and fair" elections.

I certainly hope so!!

3 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

How convenient. So nice to have multi party coalitions. If history has taught us anything its that trying to build coalitions is a great way to combat corruption. Nothing like smaller parties bargaining with larger parties for a piece of the pie. 

When the corruption exceeds the US$20 billion Yingluk wasted on her rice scam, you will have something to bitch about.

6 minutes ago, halloween said:

When the corruption exceeds the US$20 billion Yingluk wasted on her rice scam, you will have something to bitch about.

$20 billion is a drop in the ocean to how much is lost every time there is a coup, not to mention the 100's of billions siphoned of over the years by the bureaucratic sector which continues unabated to this day. 

53 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

$20 billion is a drop in the ocean to how much is lost every time there is a coup, not to mention the 100's of billions siphoned of over the years by the bureaucratic sector which continues unabated to this day. 

:passifier: