Thai Post Office warn customers to be careful when buying online

rooster59

Thai Post Office warn customers to be careful when buying online

thai post.PNG

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK:-- The Thai Post Office has warned customers to be careful of fraud when buying online.

Samorn Thertthamphibun said that nearly 65% of all people online buy goods through the internet and the main way these are delivered is through the post office.

But as internet shopping continues on an inexorable upslope so have crimes increased.

She implored customers to only deal with reputable companies whose credentials could be checked.

Sellers Thai ID cards should match names of bank accounts. Feedback from previous customers should be checked.

Customers should be aware of insurance matters when receiving things through the post and make sure they are covered.

She said that  the post office's COD (cash on delivery) service should be utilized to protect consumers.

She said that the post office continues to provide a great service to the public.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-01

6 minutes ago, smedly said:

ironically it is Thai post who are to be trusted 100% ..... right ?

Yes wonderfull people. I am sure it was not them that made off with greetings cards from overseas or envelopes with content that could have been mistaken for a credit card in it...

8 minutes ago, smedly said:

As an ex postal worker the post office is not as reliable or "honest" as it was back in my day. On the other hand most governments  are not longer fair with their workers as they were back in the day thus a lot of PO workers say well you know. One gives only as they receive. 

I do buy a lot of stuff through the internet and much of it is 'delivered' by the post office. Some of it is even registered and trackable which is good because I know that when my local post office marks something on line as having been delivered I know that it will actually be delivered some time in the coming week. One time I disputed the duty to be paid on a large parcel which had been 'delivered' and I had to produce an invoice to show what I paid. The first time I actually saw the parcel was in the local post office (after it was marked some days before as 'delivered). The parcel was then sent back to Bangkok for re-assessment which took over a week. It was returned to my local PO and I had to collect it and pay a much reduced duty + tax bill. From the date of it being marked as 'delivered' to actually receiving it was nearly three weeks. 

Of course I realise that marking stuff as delivered as soon as it is received in the local PO makes the manager and staff look efficient but it is basically dishonest but this is Thailand so should I expect any better?

1 hour ago, smedly said:

I don't swallow this "trust me, we are Thai" crap anymore. Especially not from the Thai post after several items (books, T-shirts and CD's) vanished while in their hands. 

If there are any online shops, they can use Thailand Post for their webshop.

The OpenCart versions are available at: http://paibkk.com/shipping

Registered shipping is automaticly enabled but can be disabled in the setting..

Registered shipping only costs 65 THB for international shipping. EMS is always registered, included in the standard price.

I had a money order to the Canadian Embassy disappear in the Thai postal system. From Kalasin to Bangkok. 1,200 Baht for an income affidavit. Fortunately the Embassy provided the letter for immigration. It was not sent EMS, but registered mail.

Strange all reaction are about the post and post office.

In the article the post is warning for companies that are not reliable.

And how to prevent lost of money by using the servoce the postoffice offert by paying at delivery (and yoi mist look inside the box before  you pay or leave to orevent you buy useless stone or bricks or papatoes).

So what did I miss or oversee?

I buy a lot of stuff online from  Ebay and others   never lost a package yet.   Most things coming out of China   Thai customs never even open.   You get it  Tax free.    Have something shipped to you DHL or FedEx  and see if you get it tax free.   

I buy most of what I want from Lazada and pay using their online 123 pay service direct from my Thai bank account. I have to say this is a great company, the prices are often the same or cheaper than the local stores, and they delivery for free. They bring it right to my townhouse using motorbikes for small items and trucks for larger items. They have items that are hard to find or not available locally. They delivery items as they become available, often the very next day. Overseas items take longer but I never have to pay duties or taxes. The delivery people are efficient and courteous and speak enough english to arrange a delivery time. I have purchased Samsung mobile phones, an electric barbecue, and various bicycle parts. all good quality.. The bicycle parts  are spot on and much cheaper than the local retailers... I don't think they use the local postal service..

disclaimer.. I don't work for Lazada nor do I own any stock..

So far had mainly good results with all items ordered online having arrived except one where the company domain name expired never to return two days after I made a 300 baht purchase.

EMS managed to find and return to me a wrongly addressed parcel. Bangkok company wrongly addressed it and then gave me an invalid tracking number. But the kind people at Banglamung PO sorted it all out.

But the lady is wrong about Cash On Delivery. I use PayPal or Credit Card. If something goes wrong you have them to fall back on and pressure seller. Pay cash at the door then open the parcel to find you've got the wrong stuff or its broken you've nobody to help you.

I have been very satisfied with Thailand Postal over the years...as long as NOT sending anything fragile. Anything at all fragile WILL arrive broken, regardless how well it is packed. Excellent service otherwise, but for anything that can possibly break, look for other options like FedEx, etc.