Pet elephant crushed to death by bus on Lampang-Chiang Mai highway

rooster59

Pet elephant crushed to death by bus on Lampang-Chiang Mai highway

9b45a7d6cd39fb11edab7b0e234fde82-wpcf_728x409.jpg

A pet bull elephant died and a bus driver was critically injured after it was hit by a Bangkok-Chiang Mai bus on the Lampang-Chiang Mai highway late last night.

The incident happened at a slope section of the highway near the Khun Tarn highway service centre in Tambon Wiang Tarn of Hang Chat district, Lampang province.

The bus with about 20 passengers arrived at the scene at about 10 pm at the same time when the elephant unexpectedly came out of the roadside and crossed the road.

The jumbo was directly hit with its body crushed beneath the front wheels. It died instantly.

The bus driver identified later as Narit Chittong, 45, was critically injured and trapped in his seat.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pet-elephant-crushed-death-bus-lampang-chiang-mai-highway/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-10-01

Bangkok to Chiang Mai tour bus hits elephant in Lampang

elephant.PNG

Image: Daily News

A tour bus travelling from Bangkok to Lampang hit and killed a wild elephant last night.

The accident happened on the Lampang to Chiang Mai Road.

The driver Narit Jittrong, 45, was seriously injured after being thrown into the windscreen. Foundation workers cut him out.

The elephant was wedged under the front of the Route 99 bus as the 25 passengers looked on at the tragic scene.

None of the passengers was injured.   

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-01

A pet bull elephantc or was it ?  A tour bus travelling from Bangkok to Lampang hit and killed a wild elephant last night  Confusing again !sad the end result the same 1 less elephant,

at the going rate the General won't have to worry about DNA testing

I just don't see how the bus could have avoided that poor elephant (video). We can rant on about Thai driving all we want but given the critical injuries the driver sustained, he did bloody well to pull that bus up safely. That could easily have been a much bigger tragedy. Let's hope he recovers soon.

18 minutes ago, thenewgoo said:

I just don't see how the bus could have avoided that poor elephant (video). We can rant on about Thai driving all we want but given the critical injuries the driver sustained, he did bloody well to pull that bus up safely. That could easily have been a much bigger tragedy. Let's hope he recovers soon.

Well - by reducing speed you can stop much quicker. Im quite sure that in this highway service area the speed limits are max 60 km/h if not lower. The bus was travelling much faster than that.... emergency indicators on and full throttle up the relatively steep and at partly very winding roads over the Khun Tarn area in complete darkness - thats the way most buses do it but it doesnt mean its legal or right...

The area has also many traffic warning signs of elephants.

2 minutes ago, Mangkhut said:

Well - by reducing speed you can stop much quicker. Im quite sure that in this highway service area the speed limits are max 60 km/h if not lower. The bus was travelling much faster than that.... emergency indicators on and full throttle up the relatively steep and at partly very winding roads over the Khun Tarn area in complete darkness - thats the way most buses do it but it doesnt mean its legal or right...

The area has also many traffic warning signs of elephants.

Here comes the Thai driving rant. I'm just saying the guy driving did well given the circumstances - I'm sure his passengers think he was a hero.

34 minutes ago, thenewgoo said:

Here comes the Thai driving rant. I'm just saying the guy driving did well given the circumstances - I'm sure his passengers think he was a hero.

That is utter nonsense, I doubt  the driver played any part after firstly seeing the elephant and ploughing into it, put it down to luck that the bus didn't leave the road with the likelihood of a lot more damage and injuries.

On 10/1/2016 at 6:20 PM, Artisi said:

That is utter nonsense, I doubt  the driver played any part after firstly seeing the elephant and ploughing into it, put it down to luck that the bus didn't leave the road with the likelihood of a lot more damage and injuries.

Not sure which bit is utter nonsense, but I agree with the rest. I've hit kangaroos on the road (I'm from Austria) but it wasn't my driving  - quite sure.  How the '<deleted>' is an elephant on a national highway? Bless.

On 10/1/2016 at 7:50 PM, thenewgoo said:

Not sure which bit is utter nonsense, but I agree with the rest. I've hit kangaroos on the road (I'm from Austria) but it wasn't my driving  - quite sure.  How the '<deleted>' is an elephant on a national highway? Bless.

Didn't know they have kangaroohs in Austria - do they know how to ski?

4 hours ago, thenewgoo said:

Not the Thai drivingrant this time, but the Thai laziness comes to mind...it's the same in our area where they all open the gate at night so their dogs can take a walk themselves while the owner is watching tooky on tv.

3 hours ago, thenewgoo said:

Not sure which bit is utter nonsense, but I agree with the rest. I've hit kangaroos on the road (I'm from Austria) but it wasn't my driving  - quite sure.  How the 'f' is an elephant on a national highway? Bless.

I never knew they had kangaroos in Austria, I thought they came from Australia

the elephant provided the braking for the vehicle,

but somehow the driver remained at least capable of applying the emergency flashers,

which warned the truck behind him - who was mighty close behind...

Not the Thai drivingrant this time, but the Thai laziness comes to mind...it's the same in our area where they all open the gate at night so their dogs can take a walk themselves while the owner is watching tooky on tv.

But not their elephants.