Claiming Thai wife on taxes in USA

Yes you can file as married joint return and apply for ITIN number - good if she is not working - maybe not so good if has the income.  Believe a short note that she accepts US tax liability until further notice is still required to be attached to your tax return - all information should be available online government web sites.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes you can file as married joint return and apply for ITIN number - good if she is not working - maybe not so good if has the income.  Believe a short note that she accepts US tax liability until further notice is still required to be attached to your tax return - all information should be available online government web sites.

Thanks a lot man, I have looked at the sites but have a hard time figuring out what they are saying as I'm a burnt out old fart I guess. I think I have to register the Marriage at the US embassy too, so I will ask them also, Thanks again.

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Oh I forgot to say she has no income.

There is no requirement for any contact with US Embassy unless you want a visa.  Your Thai marriage is fully legal worldwide and if proof is ever required you can have translation made of certificate and have registered at MFA (just as you did to obtain permission to marry letter).  

Edited by lopburi3
7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

There is no requirement for any contact with US Embassy unless you want a visa.  Your Thai marriage is fully legal worldwide and if proof is ever required you can have translation made of certificate and have registered at MFA (just as you did to obtain permission to marry letter).  

OK then Thanks a lot, saved me a big headache.