No coup under my command: new Army chief Chalermchai

webfact

NEW ARMY COMMANDER IN CHIEF

No coup under my command: new Army chief Chalermchai

THE NATION 

30296811-01_big.jpg

Chalermchai (L)

BANGKOK: -- THE NEW HEAD of the Army, General Chalermchai Sittisart, said yesterday that the army would not stage a coup under his leadership.

"I am a professional soldier, and I follow orders from my superiors. I can confirm that there will be no coup, so there should be no concern about me," he said.

Any government that rules with integrity is unlikely to be overthrown by the military, as the coup-makers would have no good reason to justify their action, he said. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/No-coup-under-my-command-new-Army-chief-Chalermcha-30296811.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-10-04

Does that mean the current rule will stay in place at least until the end of his appointed term? :passifier:

No reason for him to run a coup on the coup that got him this job eh?

Edited by HoboKay

Of course the headline misses the critical caveat: "Any government that rules with integrity is unlikely to be overthrown by the military, as the coup-makers would have no good reason to justify their action, he said."

21 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

Of course the headline misses the critical caveat: "Any government that rules with integrity is unlikely to be overthrown by the military, as the coup-makers would have no good reason to justify their action, he said."

Again, not yet.

So, he gives us the assurance that, "...I am a professional soldier, and I follow orders from my superiors. I can confirm that there will be no coup, so there should be no concern about me..."

LyingFingersCross_I_swear_4721.png

But, he added the caveat, "...Any government that rules with integrity is unlikely to be overthrown by the military, as the coup-makers would have no good reason to justify their action..."

1 minute ago, NongKhaiKid said:

He's left the door open with the line about a govt acting with integrity is unlikely to be overthrown.

Integrity, now that'd be a fresh concept.

Just now, HoboKay said:

Integrity, now that'd be a fresh concept.

A new addition to the Thai Dictionary of Words That Don't Exist  which already contains words such as responsibility, ethics, morality, transparency etc.

For him to be saying this there must have been discension in the ranks and the potential for a coup within the coup that gave him his new position as the new yes there will be no coup man.

Look for even more consolidation of power before the eagerly awaited " election" next year.

27 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

He's left the door open with the line about a govt acting with integrity is unlikely to be overthrown.

Absolutely. And 'acting with integrity' in this context means serving the less than 1% who think they have the right to own and control this country and kick the powerless in the teeth - day after day!

3 hours ago, webfact said:

"Any government that rules with integrity is unlikely to be overthrown by the military, as the coup-makers would have no good reason to justify their action"

Illuminating is it not? The Head of the Army sees a coup as part of his duties, should the government not rule "with integrity".

Who defines this "integrity"?

Surely not the head of the army?

31 minutes ago, JAG said:

Illuminating is it not? The Head of the Army sees a coup as part of his duties, should the government not rule "with integrity".

Who defines this "integrity"?

Surely not the head of the army?

Unfortunately, since the constitutions or charters and all those things are constantly thrown out.  So the frame of reference is far far from fixed.

Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said!  

Except, maybe, to suggest the following to General Chalermchai:

Unfortunately, it doesn't smell like freedom! 

Edited by metisdead
Profane image removed.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Any government that rules with integrity is unlikely to be overthrown by the military

So if it is thought that a government is not ruling with integrity then it would be OK for it to be overthrown I take it.

Who is to decide what is integrity and what isn't? Doesn't sound like anything new here.