Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Wow.

A report from an 82 year old newspaper.

Do you really think that is relevant nowadays?

You seem to be digging and scratching around for negative news now.

Have you read the UK media in the past twelve hours?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

Democracy is a bit like beauty, in the eye of the beholder. The UK has a parliamentary democracy that has evolved over hundreds of years, without referendums, there has only ever been 3.

If the view is that the country should be ruled by referendum then there needs to be a change to the constitution first.

Why in this case should the established democratic process be thrown out the window.

Actually a referendum is much better than the electoral system in the UK which looks at boundaries and the closest one way, to proportional representation. the referendum was as transparent in the voting as possible. One vote one way or another vote the other. The only lesser vote is communism when you have one vote only to represent one decision. Thank your lucky stars you had a choice.

11 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I'm sorry about your computer!

Not as sorry as I am, as I have possibly lost 5 years of data including irreplaceable photos and scanned documents.

I am sending my old hard drive plus my backup external hard drive to a guy who thinks there is a possibility that the data can be recovered.

My main computer now has a new hard drive but it takes time to rebuild it to what it was. That even includes email logins and passwords.

It is driving me nuts.

32 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Wow.

A report from an 82 year old newspaper.

Do you really think that is relevant nowadays?

You seem to be digging and scratching around for negative news now.

No need to dig for negative news at all - something positive would be nice, but that is sadly lacking.

4 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

Along with

Oswald Mosley

National Front

BNP

Ukip

British jobs for British people

I am proud to be British. I Always will. I make no excuse for my fellow countrymen/women to be first. My Neighbors from Europe are friends but they should come second. What I find the most hypocritical here on ThaiVisa is we are all treated as second class citizens at best I except it. , in Thailand, I . At least in the UK Aliens/foreigners can buy property, look after their loved ones etc. Have a welfare system. Free schooling and NHS.

We obey the rules here but when it comes to our own country, as people, we are the first to criticize our own. Well that is hypocrisy at the highest level. So come on those here, why should the UK be part of the bigger Europe?, You are winging because of a weaker pound, linked to the EU. Do you not really see how hypocritical you are? As someone who has lived in the middle east and Europe I wonder just how people would feel when they have lived in these places.

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I am proud to be British. I Always will. I make no excuse for my fellow countrymen/women to be first. My Neighbors from Europe are friends but they should come second. What I find the most hypocritical here on ThaiVisa is we are all treated as second class citizens at best I except it. , in Thailand, I . At least in the UK Aliens/foreigners can buy property, look after their loved ones etc. Have a welfare system. Free schooling and NHS.

We obey the rules here but when it comes to our own country, as people, we are the first to criticize our own. Well that is hypocrisy at the highest level. So come on those here, why should the UK be part of the bigger Europe?, You are winging because of a weaker pound, linked to the EU. Do you not really see how hypocritical you are? As someone who has lived in the middle east and Europe I wonder just how people would feel when they have lived in these places.

In what way has the EU weakened the welfare state or the NHS? It is the tories that are out to wreck those, just as they want to wreck the EU. But as a whinger about the weak pound caused by the latter, I actually completely fail to see my hypocrisy. Maybe you can enlighten me?

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Nicely stated, wise one.

Gentlemen I have looked at that from different news sources and the difference is minimal, at the moment. Either way something for thought. Any long term person will know that this could cause a destabilization from all sides. The timing is interesting though

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Too funny by far, you wrote:

"I am proud to be British. I Always will. I make no excuse for my fellow countrymen/women to be first. My Neighbors from Europe are friends but they should come second"

That's kinda cool, except, then you wrote:

"What I find the most hypocritical here on ThaiVisa is we are all treated as second class citizens".

Hmm, so it's OK for you to regard your European friends as second class citizens but it's not OK for you to be regarded as one in Thailand!

Confused are we!!!

1 minute ago, partington said:

Just wait until it goes off altogether. Then we'll know. They'll signal it by trying to hide it.

I firesee a rash of, "where can I buy beer " threads emanating from the Pattaya forum soon.

2 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Too funny by far, you wrote:

"I am proud to be British. I Always will. I make no excuse for my fellow countrymen/women to be first. My Neighbors from Europe are friends but they should come second"

That's kinda cool, except, then you wrote:

"What I find the most hypocritical here on ThaiVisa is we are all treated as second class citizens".

Hmm, so it's OK for you to regard your European friends as second class citizens but it's not OK for you to be regarded as one in Thailand!

Confused are we!!!

Not at all I am a second class citizen at best here in Thailand. Read what I said. I accept it here. Yes I regard British people should come first. If you are playing with word semantics and the political PC brigade of today then yes, I will say it. Yes British people should come first.

I believe Europeans should come second in respect  of coming second of getting, School placements, hospital appointments, jobs for British people. If you want to try and play the PC card go ahead. I don't care. Thai people play the Nationalistic card and in some respects I agree with them.

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Not at all I am a second class citizen at best here in Thailand. Read what I said. I accept it here. Yes I regard British people should come first. If you are playing with word semantics and the political PC brigade of today then yes, I will say it. Yes British people should come first.

I believe Europeans should come second in respect  of coming second of getting, School placements, hospital appointments, jobs for British people. If you want to try and play the PC card go ahead. I don't care. Thai people play the Nationalistic card and in some respects I agree with them.

There's nothing semantic or PC about any of thisas you well know. Your wrote:

Perhaps just best to acquiesce on this one and write it off to experience, alternatively I have a larger bucket if you wish to borrow it!.

33 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Your justification being that you accept 2nd class citizenship (percieved ) inn thailand and therefore it is acceptable. 

I take it then the following would also be acceptable ,women in Saudi Arabia (saudi law) , Apartheid , aborigines in Australia (prior 1967) , Roman Catholics in NI, and the treatment of Jews under nazi germany.

Just because discrimination and mistreatment exist and is experienced is not a valid reason to condone its acts

3 hours ago, SgtRock said:

The shorters causing havoc on the back of statements by Hollande and Merkel. 2 Politicians who will be gone next year.

For all those that are currently frothing at the mouth. Do not worry what Sterling is doing at the current juncture.

The axeman cometh soon.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/oct/10/deutsche-bank-shares-slide-again-after-fresh-speculation-over-us-penalty

This will lead to the demise of the euro and the EZ.

The £ will rocket.

Ground Control to Major Tom. :cheesy:

I really really don't like the way this government is going.  May is behaving as if she has just won a general election.  Policy is being introduced for which she has no mandate (so much for 'bringing back democracy').

For example, the Conservative manifesto made a specific committment to staying in the Single Market.  If we let that one go (a big IF) on account of the Brexit vote then there is still the issue of a complete change in economic policy (abandoning paying down the deficit, a cornerstone of the Conservative manifesto), a shift to an 'interventionist' (almost Keynesian) ideology on industrial policy, introduction of grammar schools, some kind of 'crackdown' on student visas (although Higher Education is a major export earner, and a major force for UK 'soft power' in the world).

Remember, this is Mrs May who (whilst at the Home Office) got rid of 20000 police officers and also cut back the UKBA (now UKVI) and border security budget such that the Port of Dover lost over 30% of its immigration officers (and led, ironically, to many of the illlegal immigration issues pointed out by UKIP). 'Life in the UK' and various other regulations were introduced which discriminated against UK citizens with Thai spouses.  In fact it was May that brought about the situation that an EU citizen married to a Thai had more rights in the UK than did a UK citizen.  It wasn't the EU that was responsible for that.  And remember the passport fiasco a couple of years back when she cut staff and introduced 'new ways of working'....?   She was also spectacularly unsuccessful at controlling non-EU  immigration and dealing with failed asylum seekers (I think the backlog is now many years long) - entrely home-grown problems and nothing to do with the EU.

Edited by HauptmannUK

9 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

If there was an overwhelming majority in favour of it, and if we were subsequently drowning in milk and honey then we would most likely not be having this discussion. But all we have seen since literally minutes the result was announced is just how tawdry and deceitful the campaigns for Brexit was. We have further seen a total collapse of leadership and direction from Westminster and a ramping up of anti-UK feeling across the EU, not to mention the disastrous financial realities of the mess created.

Grouse may be falling back on his more earthy Yorkshire roots when describing a significant proportion of the Brexiters, but there is no doubt about it - a large part of the responsibility for this disaster lies with people who failed to fully understand the true implication of what they were voting on, and simply swallowed the barefaced lies of opportunistic snake oil salesmen like Farage, Johnson et al.

I thought you'd like this :)

On 08/10/2016 at 5:30 AM, RuamRudy said:

Jingoism aside, is there anything you can point to that suggests that Brexit was anything other than folly? Personally, as an expat paid in GBP, I have lost thousands as a result of Brexit, and the only financial indicators I see are negative. What good has Brexit done me?

I feel sympathy for the guys 100% exposed to sterling and have lost out, but putting the blame tail on the Brexit donkey (richly though it may be deserved) is not going to bring those losses back. In addition, if you continue to be all-in on sterling then you might find yourself involuntarily yoked to that donkey for some time to come. Assuming that you have choices to make (and not all do) then attempting to take some control of the situation rather than politicking is the way to go. You need to hedge away from sterling. This is the one thing that Brexiteers will not do. Don't make the same mistake again by sitting on your hands.

Edited by SheungWan

5 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

No need to dig for negative news at all - something positive would be nice, but that is sadly lacking.

World's biggest sovereign wealth fund revises up valuation of it's UK (over 70 billion Sterling) property portfolio:

http://www.businessinsider.my/norwegian-sovereign-wealth-fund-reevaluates-worth-of-uk-property-assets-2016-10/

Generally positive comments from Mervyn King:

http://news.sky.com/story/lower-pound-a-welcome-change-says-former-bank-chief-lord-king-10612690

Expansion on Mervyn King's optimism by Ashoka Mody:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/why-the-plummeting-pound-sterling-is-good-news-for-britain-a7353846.html

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

Not as sorry as I am, as I have possibly lost 5 years of data including irreplaceable photos and scanned documents.

I am sending my old hard drive plus my backup external hard drive to a guy who thinks there is a possibility that the data can be recovered.

My main computer now has a new hard drive but it takes time to rebuild it to what it was. That even includes email logins and passwords.

It is driving me nuts.

Computer crash. Sterling crash. Same question. What backup is there in place?

I have to say that I find many remainers on here like children who are in a competition against their friends/family etc. They lose and then start crying. They will support any other team as long as the team that they lost against are knocked out.

I find lots of remainers want to see the UK in financial meltdown and in an Armageddon just so they can justify that they were right, even if the UK is brought to its knees. What a sad state of affairs that is.

Well as Mervyn King says the lower pound is good for Britain.

To those who want to the crash of the UK I am glad the majourity of people had the sense to get out of the EU.

9 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

Your justification being that you accept 2nd class citizenship (percieved ) inn thailand and therefore it is acceptable. 

I take it then the following would also be acceptable ,women in Saudi Arabia (saudi law) , Apartheid , aborigines in Australia (prior 1967) , Roman Catholics in NI, and the treatment of Jews under nazi germany.

Just because discrimination and mistreatment exist and is experienced is not a valid reason to condone its acts

Saudi Arabia is totally different and the treatment of women. Have you lived there I have.  Your other examples again are not what I was getting at.

I am a second class citizen in Thailand. I have no voting rights, can't own land and have to apply for my visa every year. What would you call it? I am not mistreated in Thailand. I am not treated as an equal and called an alien. I just have to follow the law and rules. Where am I condoning mistreatment?

Edited by Laughing Gravy

14 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

That wouldn't surprise me with all the mainstream media like the BBC and Sky going and on about the end of the UK. We get enough of it on hear from the cry babies, who can't accept a democratic referendum and still try and get and go until they get their right result.

12 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Having just read a surprising news article article in The Guardian about Thailand, my attention is now drawn in a different direction, away from the instability of GBP to the potential for instability in THB.

Indeed I agree. Although I have heard this on and off for the last 12 years.

7 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Saudi Arabia is totally different and the treatment of women. Have you lived there I have.  Your other examples again are not what I was getting at.

I am a second class citizen in Thailand. I have no voting rights, can't own land and have to apply for my visa every year. What would you call it? I am not mistreated in Thailand. I am not treated as an equal and called an alien. I just have to follow the law and rules. Where am I condoning mistreatment?

You're not a second class citizen of Thailand. You're not a Thai citizen of any description. You're a resident alien.