Living in Thailand without a Uni Degree, can it be done ?

Bonobojt

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, nikmar said:

good way to get locked up.

For a work permit without a degree I was charged 4,000 baht the first time. Where do you think my lawyer gave the money ?

I didn't say, I don't have a degree. It is on  a wall at my mothers house. Cheaper to give details for them to make another here.

13 minutes ago, Bonobojt said:

what about creating a website ? I know its possible to earn money from websites and blogs etc ,, but not sure if its enough to live/work in Thailand, what about the people/person who created this website ? I'm guessing he or she earns money from  this  

Troll, troll, troll, your boat........

16 hours ago, tonray said:

It's always about a girl from an online dating site. How will you support yourself (and her) ? No degree...no future. 25 years old....wake up man...get some education. Then work for a decade, be frugal, save your quid and then re-assess your plans. 

Come into my parlour...said the spider to the fly!

15 hours ago, Slip said:

That seems a massive shame to me.  Do you have a degree yourself?  Do you work in McDonalds or a bar?  As an undergraduate I did, but as a graduate I got a job that paid well and stretched my skills.  Then I became a manager.

There's a 'manager degree' where you're from then?

1 minute ago, Think2Mutt said:

You do realise that you will need the special 'Ginger Visa' issued by the immigration authorities of Thailand?

maybe that's my advantage to finding a job in Thailand, hardly any gingers in Thailand and of course no thai is ginger naturally ...if thai companies need a ginger let me know 

1 hour ago, Anders W Ferslev said:

yes you can, im living and working here, and im "Only" a Baker :) i come to Thailand in 2009, when i was 29 years old

so you started your own business ? or you just got a job with a work permit ? 

I'll mention just because no one else has.  You asked if getting married to a Thai entitled you to stay in Thailand.  The answer is "Yes", there is an annual Extension of Stay based on marriage, but one of the requirements is either 400,000 baht in the bank or an income of at least THB 40,000 baht per month.  Just something to keep in mind.

22 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

No. Just get a degree, or find a job that doesn't require one. 

I  failed six GCE O levels , on  my first  attempt ,  and  have lived in LOS ,  for  many years.

Ignorance is bliss . 555

4 minutes ago, ThailandLOS said:

No uni degree, no problem - as long as you have loads of cash.

Surely you don't think gf's in Thailand come for free, do you?

sure I know I need money, never said I was going to just leave my job and go to Thailand and hope for the best, maybe save for a year, get around 10 grand or more, work hard, spend little, that would be my plan if I was very serious about living in Thailand with no degree

I'm afraid that the OP has made the fatal mistake of 'being young and eager' on Thai Visa!
This is a forum full of the bitter old men that give anyone not of pensionable age filthy looks just for existing in Pattaya,Phuket,Bangkok etc.

They will all claim that you have 'no chance' of ever making a living out here,like the Thais are only looking for doddering old geriatric alcoholics in Chang vests to pull the punters into their restaurant,bar or nightclub,work in their office etc!

If you have put all of your property,vehicles,savings and precious metals,stocks etc. into your Teerak's (girlfriend's) name for safe keeping then this is the perfect forum for you to vent your spleen.
However for a young,energetic guy looking to start his new life in Thailand...

1 hour ago, SoiBiker said:

A teacher can't have a beard?

Frowned upon in the 'Thai' way of thinking. Beards will limit your opportunities. If you have any tattoos...keep them well hidden as Thai's believe that any part of your appearance may negatively influence the students. Beards are rare in Asia for professionals and teachers are considered professionals.

11 minutes ago, Think2Mutt said:

I'm afraid that the OP has made the fatal mistake of 'being young and eager' on Thai Visa!
This is a forum full of the bitter old men that give anyone not of pensionable age filthy looks just for existing in Pattaya,Phuket,Bangkok etc.

They will all claim that you have 'no chance' of ever making a living out here,like the Thais are only looking for doddering old geriatric alcoholics in Chang vests to pull the punters into their restaurant,bar or nightclub,work in their office etc!

If you have put all of your property,vehicles,savings and precious metals,stocks etc. into your Teerak's (girlfriend's) name for safe keeping then this is the perfect forum for you to vent your spleen.
However for a young,energetic guy looking to start his new life in Thailand...

By all means...he can come and fail like many before him. I have met many 40 and 50 something dreamers who came here in their 20s and don't have a baht to their names. Usually begging for money from everyone they encounter because they have no way to recover from their foolish youthful mistakes. If you want to come here and play around for a few years, that's great..but his prospects for long term are very slim to none.

13 hours ago, kleelof said:

Pay is still in this range for most teaching positions. Especially outside of BKK.

i know a NES Teacher who gets 15000 a month.....with a degree..........another teacher in Chaing mai...who speaks perfect thai who gets 22000 b and no degree...and a very good friend of mine earns 30000b in the deepest jungle no degree....and another very good friend who earns 38000b in the jungle and he has a  masters degree.........

27 minutes ago, Bonobojt said:

sure I know I need money, never said I was going to just leave my job and go to Thailand and hope for the best, maybe save for a year, get around 10 grand or more, work hard, spend little, that would be my plan if I was very serious about living in Thailand with no degree

No offense, but 10 grand will last you less than a year unless you are prepared to live in a dump and eat nothing but rice.

Low risk:  
Go get a degree (particularly in English or education) and doors will open around the world.  

Higher risk:  
Marry the Thai girl (and then you said you'd just as easily go to Vietnam or elsewhere?--what about the GIRL?).  If she's in Isaan, start looking for a place to teach.  Many elementary schools either informally waive or formally obtain a waiver as to a teaching license.   Some universities hire Conversational English instructors with only a high school diploma/certificate.  I knew one who was making 30k baht a month without a degree or teacher's license at a major university.  Extra points if you're young (which you are) and handsome.

Oh, hope you have some natural teaching talent.  Thailand can't handle any more incompetent English instructors.  

Good luck! 

Edited by Fookhaht

My slant on this. I had 1 o level when i got my career but did get another 2. Big deal. I retired at 50 and came here to live 1 year later. Now 63. I know quite a few with degrees but not money. For gods sake stay there try to get into police or fireman and get a bloody pension. My pension is good has to be cos 12 years ago 74.1 to the £ now 43.7. Pension pension pension. If you need knee replacement 300000 baht. Hip 500000 baht. Look uk asian dating site if you like asians. I bought my first house at 22. I say again pension pension pension. 

24 minutes ago, nongsangcity said:

i know a NES Teacher who gets 15000 a month.....with a degree..........another teacher in Chaing mai...who speaks perfect thai who gets 22000 b and no degree...and a very good friend of mine earns 30000b in the deepest jungle no degree....and another very good friend who earns 38000b in the jungle and he has a  masters degree.........

Your friends have very poor job search skills. Any NES speaker with a Bachelor's degree can make 33 to 35k without even trying hard...this is standard agency pay in BKK. 

If your under 40, from a place like Oz, the pension by the time that comes to fruition will be disappointing. A degree is not always about a job, study is about knowledge. I go to uni as a 40 year old and feel like i arrived in Pattaya for the first time, learning something that interests you and affords yourself the skills to outdo the next bum without those skills is priceless. What happens when your sick of Thailand and Asian girls? what do you have then? that phenomena does happen.

11 minutes ago, damo said:

If your under 40, from a place like Oz, the pension by the time that comes to fruition will be disappointing. A degree is not always about a job, study is about knowledge. I go to uni as a 40 year old and feel like i arrived in Pattaya for the first time, learning something that interests you and affords yourself the skills to outdo the next bum without those skills is priceless. What happens when your sick of Thailand and Asian girls? what do you have then? that phenomena does happen.

Sick of Thailand.....very possible!

Sick of Asian girls.....NEVER! :laugh:

Yes ,of course it can be done. If you've saved a couple of thousand quid you can live in a small city or town in rural Isan for a month or so, and ask around the local schools. They are always desperate for young English speakers. Most aren't too fussy about whether you have a degree or work permit. They'll just put in the paperwork (for a work permit) and worry about it 6 months or so down the track.

However, you'll be on about 30,000 Baht per month with no prospects for advancement, just moving around from school to school. While you can live on this it will be hard to have a really active social life. Many, many girls will be chasing you.

You can make more than this in an unskilled job in England and there is always the prospect for advancement. You can bum around  Thailand for a year, but you can make more money at your age in England. Then you can come for an annual holiday, with money to burn, and really enjoy yourself.

Thailand is all about contacts. If you do give it a try you must take every opportunity to meet new people and learn Thai. I guess you never know unless you try it for a year.

5 minutes ago, Think2Mutt said:

Sick of Thailand.....very possible!

Sick of Asian girls.....NEVER! :laugh:

Yeah, were all different, I have a gorgeous Thai wife of over 13 years, I love her heaps and likewise. I spent enough time in Thailand, have the house there and stuff but find it just doesn't do it for me any more, we come back yearly for six weeks or so, thats enough. Biggest game changer for me was giving up the booze, giving up the rigs and getting my own life here in Oz that I could never have in Thailand. I did love it with all my heart but I was real young then. Message to the OP in this is! don't get too caught up in the here and now, put yourself first in everything you decide to do and you will flourish. You will only ever be able to help others like your future family as much as you have ever helped yourself today.

19 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

The way your mind works is a bit alarming, young man.

tons of youngsters thinking like this. myself including me back in the day. i had enough rent coming in to survive off before i moved here. without income forget it. just come for holidays. it is really better to do that and stay in love with the country anyway.