1 Day in and out border run to Penang

My Non O visa is about to run out but I want to stay at least 2 more months in Thailand. I am in Hat Yai and would like to do a border run to Penang sometime before the 12th. I will enter Malaysia on the 12th and then re-enter Thailand on the 12th. Then about 2 weeks later, I would like to enter Malaysia again and then re-enter Thailand on the same day to extend my stay in Thailand a bit longer. Is this okay? Do I have to stay in Malaysia at least one night? Do I have to have a flight ticket out of Thailand?

Please advise! Thank you!

Is this also doable at any border? Mae Sai?

Edited by yzak

If you are the parent or spouse of a Thai you could apply for a 60 day extension of stay (1,900 baht).

Doing back to back Visa Exempt Entries at any border isn't recommended although two would probably be ok. You can't do a border hop at Mai Sai without a valid visa.

Staying out one day probably wouldn't make any difference. They will not usually ask for a booked flight unless they're looking for reasons to deny entry.

Your first planned 15 day Visa Exempt Entry could be extended by 30 days at an Immigration Office for 1,900 baht so no need for a second border hop.

Thank you evliajero. i will probably stay in malaysia for much longer but I just wanted to make sure if worst comes to worst and I have to do two same day border runs in the span of two weeks. I heard Malaysia is pretty cool!

• Like 1

You should note that not all border posts between Malaysia and Thailand are equal as far as treatment of arriving travelers is concerned. You might want to consider coming back by train through Padang Besar. The border point used most commonly for entry by road, at Sadao, has an unsavory reputation.

• Like 2

This will only be a one time thing for this month as i am getting my visa switched but i would like to travel in malaysia before going back into thailand. I will stay in malaysia for a week and then back to thailand and stay in hat yai for one week before going back into malaysia for a real border hop. Will there be any problems? I have never done a border hop before and my passport is clean with only one entry into thailand so far

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

You should not encounter any problems, certainly as long as you avoid Sadao.

I don't know about the OP - he doesn't mention it he has a ME or SE - but as a ME-O holder I came back through Sadao the other week .. It was fine.

The OP talks about a border hop to Penang ? You know you don't have to go to Penang .. Just in and out - prolly fine through Padang. I also live in HY, you can do it by lunchtime.

If you want to get another O the best place for us to go is Kora Bahru on the East coast of Malaysia. If you want a vacation, collect a visa and then if you have never been, head to the Cameron highlands for a different experience.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I don't know about the OP - he doesn't mention it he has a ME or SE - but as a ME-O holder I came back through Sadao the other week .. It was fine.

The OP talks about a border hop to Penang ? You know you don't have to go to Penang .. Just in and out - prolly fine through Padang. I also live in HY, you can do it by lunchtime.

If you want to get another O the best place for us to go is Kora Bahru on the East coast of Malaysia. If you want a vacation, collect a visa and then if you have never been, head to the Cameron highlands for a different experience.

I will be getting a Non B in Chiang Mai later on so it's okay if I don't get one now. By the way, the Cameron highlands sound beautiful. Any tips on how to get there from Penang?

Edit: just saw some pictures of the highlands. wow....it looks great because I LOVE hiking. any suggestions on where to stay and the costs of transportation around there?

Edited by yzak

Yeah, there should be plenty of tourist vans from the hostels in Penang.

The road / bus network is pretty good - you could get a bus to Ipoh and from there catch a bus.

I do it on a bike, in one day, you might be able to do it on a scooter - a long trek but very rewarding. I think it's good to have your own transport when you are there. I saw lots of tourists there, most take organized tours but i never saw scooter hire - I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, recom273 said:

Yeah, there should be plenty of tourist vans from the hostels in Penang.

The road / bus network is pretty good - you could get a bus to Ipoh and from there catch a bus.

I do it on a bike, in one day, you might be able to do it on a scooter - a long trek but very rewarding. I think it's good to have your own transport when you are there. I saw lots of tourists there, most take organized tours but i never saw scooter hire - I could be wrong.

Do you suggest I book hotels now or kind of wing it? I ask because I like taking public transportation buses like the natives instead of moving with tourists. I am thinking about crossing the border into Malaysia and simply grabbing a bus to Cameron HIghlands. ONce there is it easy to find a room? 

Thanks man!

3 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

You can not get a non-B in Chiang Mai, you must travel yo a consulate outside Thailand.

sorry meant that my company would arrange one for me in (getting the paperwork ready) Chiang Mai and then I would go to a border in the north to receive it. thank you for making sure though!

I know Thailand is good,but so are the surrounding countries.What is the rush all about,don't you blokes trust your teerak or maybe you have to get back to work.I always spend a time in other countries.

Just read on further that you are staying on,good idea.Malaysia is cool,and public transport is impressive.

Edited by louse1953

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

I know Thailand is good,but so are the surrounding countries.What is the rush all about,don't you blokes trust your teerak or maybe you have to get back to work.I always spend a time in other countries.

Just read on further that you are staying on,good idea.Malaysia is cool,and public transport is impressive.

hey any places you suggest in Malay? Currently Penang is our #1 and then we are thinking about Ipoh or Redang. 

Transportation is good?! Easy to get around? Cuz I really want to visit redang and relax. Any other places like Redang? I dont want to go to Langkawi cuz it seems commercialized. Also Cameron highlands I heard is just worth only 1 night. 

hey any places you suggest in Malay? Currently Penang is our #1 and then we are thinking about Ipoh or Redang. 

Transportation is good?! Easy to get around? Cuz I really want to visit redang and relax. Any other places like Redang? I dont want to go to Langkawi cuz it seems commercialized. Also Cameron highlands I heard is just worth only 1 night. 

No man, you heard wrong .. From Ipoh it will take you nearly a day to get up there, then when you get there it's cold! Why come back to the heat? You can take a tour and do a couple of sites in a day, like one of the tea plantations and whatever else they have on their itinerary. You can just as easily do it yourself, no need to be pushed in and out of a Land Rover.

There are other tea plantations and a few nature paths and waterfalls .. there must be bike hire where you can explore, find a good guest house and sit in the garden and read a book. The Indian food is pretty good, the tea is good, strawberries are good. It's just a nice place to hang out.

Malaysian hotels are pretty poor value when compared to here .. You are better off researching well befor and booking through booking.com or hostelworld.

I wouldn't know where to start with a bus, i guess you could need to get a bus from Ipoh. Trip advisor says it can be a bit of a nightmare, understandably it's a hill station 3000m above sea level on winding roads.

I guess most people come on minivans from the tourist mainstays.

Hope it goes ok