What is life like in Thailand for very old expats?

boomerexpat

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, grabitanrun said:

It's a fair point and it's one I gave serious thought to, personally I'm keeping a house in the UK and will only ever spend 6months a year in Thailand so if I ever get to the point of needing a high level of medical care, I still have the NHS. Of course this does leave me exposed to UK taxes but it's a price I'm prepared to pay for security 

I'm in the same position living between Thailand and the U.K. And have to pay some UK tax but this also ensures that my pensions are index linked and I qualify for any additional benefits as required. My UK doctor is aware that I am a UK resident who takes extended trips to Thailand to see family etc and happily prescribes my medication for my time in Thailand. When in the U.K., I get medical and dental check ups as required.

When in Thailand recently I became ill and was cared for by my wife, her extended family and neighbours were very helpful with childcare, shopping etc. I guess I'm lucky as her extended family immediately accepted me as one of them and when one family member is ill, everyone helps out.

Living in a village, I have helped Thai neighbours in the past and it's always reciprocated.

41 minutes ago, chicowoodduck said:

Most just hang out at the beach looking for babes to take care of them....most of the time have to beat them off with a stick....so very handsome....?

image.jpeg

Correct !!!

Some die of the balcony disease ( no more money )

Some die from bleu pill disease ( to much help needed )

A lot die from SUGAR disease ( so fat they can't see their white socs anymore )

But who cares ?

2 hours ago, BKResort said:

I  am helping a 82 years widow, partially disabled, without family in his own country, to find a better life here with just 70,000 Baht retirement income, and he his doing very well...even saving more than half of his income for "luxuries".

Because he is looking in find a female companion, I am also helping him in that mission.

That "adventure" can make a difference. I met my wife online, and I am happily married for 5 years, but I am younger and stronger than him. I posted his profile on a well known dating site, stating exactly his age and situation. Many women on their 50s responded with good possibilities, but surprisingly, many others in their 20s and 30s also did. That may explain why so many elderly expat get in trouble, tented by beauty and age, and not looking on the obvious intentions.

With common sense, and good friends, most very old expat can do very well here, sometimes better than ever, regaining health, hope, and happiness.

Others, without good help and advice, may fell from a balcony.

Heck, I'll marry him for half his monthly budget, and I'm only 67.

Anyone else see a tremendous business opportunity to fill in the gap between the traditional Thai custom of the family taking care of the old folks, and the new reality that the family can't any more, and lots of foreigners here have money, but no family?  It's all over Asia.  Unlike back home, they have few, if any old folks facilities that fill the gap between living alone and a hospital death bed.

Interesting topic and true that I also do not see many "elderly" - 80 plus when I am out and around. 

I also wonder about the number of expats who have come here for a cheaper retirement alternative and then do not have the funds for even minor health issues or medications.. 

Getting old and frail is not a lot of fun no matter where you are, but having at least minimal assistance should be available... 

8 hours ago, boomerexpat said:

That is what I was wondering about. In developing countries family is the safety net  and assisted living support  aids. Family help seems especially important given the lack of handicapped accessible places, bad sidewalks, aggressive drivers and lack of good 911. Not sure if something like Lanna Care can compensate for that but it looks helpful.

" In developing countries family is the safety net   ..."

That may be true in some cases, but increasingly the elderly are abandoned or ignored by families in the west. Often they end up dumped in warehouses for the elderly or totally left to fend for themselves.If the individuals or families can afford to provide comfortable circumstances in Farang Land, the same could be true if they're now in Thailand. The notion of multi-generational family units is pretty much a fairy tale.

If someone has been living in Thailand for a long time, his/her connection to supportive family has probably been strained if it ever existed.

I'd prefer to be old in Thailand than in the west.

Germany is sending its ailing pensioners to cheaper retirement and long-term care facilities in Eastern Europe and Asia in order to clamp down on soaring health care costs for the nation’s rapidly aging population.

According to a report in Britain’s Guardian newspaper, thousands of elderly Germans -- most of whom cannot afford Germany’s own expensive health care facilities amid austerity cuts and shrinking pensions -- have been dispatched to foreign lands. Moreover, as Germany faces a demographic time bomb, more of the country’s senior citizens will likely be shipped overseas.

http://www.ibtimes.com/germany-dumping-aging-pensioners-cheaper-foreign-care-facilities-971160

dumped.jpg

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Anyone else see a tremendous business opportunity to fill in the gap between the traditional Thai custom of the family taking care of the old folks, and the new reality that the family can't any more, and lots of foreigners here have money, but no family?  It's all over Asia.  Unlike back home, they have few, if any old folks facilities that fill the gap between living alone and a hospital death bed.

Have been approached by folks who plan on starting a community for expat elsders but after so many years here, am very reluctant to invest in something not yet built.

Am 88 and wonder if the pacemaker or myself will go first - hopefully the pacemaker!  Have a few close friends, mostly Westerners, plus a few close Thai friends who would not clean out my very small account should the worst happen.  Slowing down but get around OK - no significant other, but enjoy my life by getting out to special places every so often, dinners with friends and lots of computer and television time, plus a good foot massage once or twice a week.  (I did say FOOT massage:whistling:).  Need more exercise, but wonder if it will make any difference at this point> :crying:   Do a lot of my own cooking - but, one regret - am about 100 yards past the furthest delivery point of several food delivery companies.

Still have a very happy outlook on life.  Going back to the US would prove difficult as I admittedly was a poor planner and it would be much too espensive in spite of a pension that is sufficient for here.  .Certainly don't like the thought of one of those dreary 'old folks' homes, having to look at everybody my age or older and confined to some small room somewhere.

Will try to last as long as possible here!  Wish me luck!

Edited by snooky

10 hours ago, boomerexpat said:

I imagine there are old Thais in the villages but that wasn't my question. 

I lived in Bangkok and spent time in Chiang Mai and Phuket. As I mentioned, I can't remember seeing any very old expats.

I suppose everyone has different experiences here. This Friday is my ex-boss's 85th birthday. While aging has taken it's natural course, he still has a mind as sharp as a razor. As far as money goes, he is one of the true successes here.

I also know an English gentleman (very well) who, at the age of 81 is still teaching here in Thailand, legal and above board! He left the UK in the year of decimalization in 1971 and has been in SEA, mostly in Thailand, since then.

If I were ever to make that sort of age, i would gladly love to end up (physically) in either of their positions.

5 hours ago, Munchkinboss44 said:

Theres a farlang guy in the village fell and broke his hip, the hospital will not operate until he pays 100000 baht, so they took him back to his room where he lays in his bed, has a Thai girlfriend who just spends all his 55.000 baht per mnth pension and leaves him to rot in his bed. He has no medical insurance so is basically finished. Has made me think and I will be returning back to my country before its to late.

received_10155350215613508.jpeg

I don't get it. You mean he could pay for his op with 2 months' income (pension), and he can't make that happen?  

2 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

I agree. " Everybody,wants to go to heaven,

but no one wants to go today"

I'm ready now, today.  Anyone who's afraid to die has the wrong religion/philosophy.  "The unexamined life is not worth living."  -Plato

The reason you don't see any aged expats is because we all look so young. I am 82, have a wife 30 years younger than myself which I think contributes to my looking much younger than my actual age .Have a full head of platinum colour hair, most of my own teeth, jog a few k's every day and enjoy my life to the full.Back in the Uk I would be sitting on a park bench , faithful dog at my feet, discussing my arthrittis with other old fogies, if I was still alive that is .Love it here in Thailand .

My father was very fit and active. Unfortunately Alzheimer's got the best of him. My mother could no longer take care of him and put him in an expensive care facility. The first thing they did was strap him a wheelchair and put an alarm on it so if he tried to get up, the alarm would go off. It made me sick, he loved to be outside and no one bothered to even wheel him out. Fat ass nurses sat on their fat bottoms and watched TV. That home charged $4,000 dollars a month until his money ran out then medicare paid. He died from pneumonia. I'll take my chances right here. I'm not a wealthy man but I have a healthy nest egg and a pretty good monthly lifetime income. I don't want to die strapped in a wheelchair.

My mother died at 93 and she adamantly refused to go to an assisted care rest home. She knew what they are like. She passed away in the hospital after a gallbladder operation. The doctor had warned us that she was pretty weak and may not survive the operation. He was right.

4 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

I agree. " Everybody,wants to go to heaven,

but no one wants to go today"

Heaven?...Really. I have an express pass to Hell. Do not pass go, do not collect $200 and I have a front seat in the bus with no seat belt....But that's a different story...555

Grabitanrun said:-

"It's a fair point and it's one I gave serious thought to, personally I'm keeping a house in the UK and will only ever spend 6months a year in Thailand so if I ever get to the point of needing a high level of medical care, I still have the NHSUK tax. Of course this does leave me exposed to UK taxes  but it's a price I'm prepared to pay for security" 

Am I missing something here. as I am permanently retired from the UK in Thailand but still have to pay UK taxes on all my income, (all of which derives from the UK), exactly the same as if I lived in the UK.  Of course, I am unable to take advantage of any of the UK benefits, except the State Pension, dare I say "earned" with 46 years of contributions,  although even that is limited to its starting point ten years ago (i.e no annual inflationary increases as I live outside of the EU).  So, surely it is not the alternate 6 month arrangement which determines your liability to UK tax but the fact that your income derives from the UK?

5 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Grabitanrun said:-

"It's a fair point and it's one I gave serious thought to, personally I'm keeping a house in the UK and will only ever spend 6months a year in Thailand so if I ever get to the point of needing a high level of medical care, I still have the NHSUK tax. Of course this does leave me exposed to UK taxes  but it's a price I'm prepared to pay for security" 

Am I missing something here. as I am permanently retired from the UK in Thailand but still have to pay UK taxes on all my income, (all of which derives from the UK), exactly the same as if I lived in the UK.  Of course, I am unable to take advantage of any of the UK benefits, except the State Pension, dare I say "earned" with 46 years of contributions,  although even that is limited to its starting point ten years ago (i.e no annual inflationary increases as I live outside of the EU).  So, surely it is not the alternate 6 month arrangement which determines your liability to UK tax but the fact that your income derives from the UK?

I suggest that you talk to your tax man.

Once they know that you live in Thailand, the first thing they do is to freeze your state pension and it stays frozen until you permanently return to live in the UK.

However, if your other income plus state pension mean you pay a lot of tax, it might be worth it.

I live in Spain as my centre of life and holiday for 5 months in Thailand.

All my income comes from the UK.

The tax man will allow me to stop paying in the UK as long as I pay in Spain.......

Not sure what the deal is like for Thailand.

Ask your taxman.....

This is exactly my fear: In Thailand as an older but still healthy man, with enough money to spend, it is PARADISE. But only God helps you, when health and money are gone.

But I never forget, in 1994, the French guy, whose house was for sale, littlebit north of Banglamung and at the east side of Sukhumvit. I was there with my Indonesian wife since 1974. Just during the tour he suddenly start to speak French to me: never tell your Thai lady, she is mentioned in your last will and will benefit. Not the first time an old and sick farang is found in the pineapple fields...

A former business contact went in 2005 -when he was 68- to Chiang Mai. I heard a few years from him, and suddently... hotmail, mobile 071798623, and land telephone 053 442238... not existing anymore. Never any postcard or so anymore. Where is he ?

Frans Adriani + Mel, Bo & Lex Jiraphong,   150/121 Tarn-Ing-Doi Village, Chiang Mai - Hang Dong Road, Tambon Hang Dong, Ampur Hang Dong, Chiang Mai 50230

1 hour ago, Docno said:

I don't get it. You mean he could pay for his op with 2 months' income (pension), and he can't make that happen?  

When nobody did any savings to have a 2 months pension in reserve, and he himself does not have the power of body and mind to get all organised...he is completely dependant on the others... Who clearly let him rot away.

THIS is MY fear for staying in Thailand when I am NOT in control of own body and mind anymore.

In all the years I visited Thailand since 1993, several 2-6 weeks trips a year,  I have NEVER seen one farang taken care of being in such a state.

In Netherlands, Belgium Germany, you are been taken care off, even when you donot have a cent anymore, and never anyone who comes to visit you.

It really depends who you are, your background etc.I know dozens of elderly expats in Chiangmai. Several are high ranking British officers others are retired business men and doctors and teachers.They have all been here a long time and most have many Thai friends as I do. We go to each others parties and dinners. You probably would not see us, or perhaps not meet  because you don't move in the same social circles. None of us have problems because our Thai fiends are always there to help. And at 85 I find the Thais the most considerate people and kind people. Medical services in Chiangmai are excellent and cheap, so we don't need health insurance. One of my close Thai friends is a doctor, he doesn't charge me and I invite him to dinner.

I would never return to the UK under any circumstances. My experience of NHS there has not been good.  I am quite sure if I had stayed in the UK I would have died a long time ago.

I will let you know what it's like too be very old in Thailand, when I reach that stage. Could you please return the info, as I suspect by your degenerated attitude that, if not chrpnological, you'll certainly be there psychologicall well before me

9 hours ago, TSF said:

I'm 69 and I'm fit and well. Go for 6K walk every morning. Go on the Pattaya Hash House Harriers every Monday. 

But if in the years to come I get ill and have mobility issues I don't think I'd want to remain longer in Thailand. I own an apartment in Australia and I'd get pensioner health care in Australia. I think I'd say the party's over and spend my twilight years in Australia. 

I could be wrong, but thought I read that living outside of Australia for more than 5 yrs meant you lose your entitlement to Medicare 

15 hours ago, boomerexpat said:

That is what I was wondering about. In developing countries family is the safety net  and assisted living support  aids. Family help seems especially important given the lack of handicapped accessible places, bad sidewalks, aggressive drivers and lack of good 911. Not sure if something like Lanna Care can compensate for that but it looks helpful.

Yeah I get what you say but don't necessary agree, many places in Thailand where all of what you post are not like that.