What is life like in Thailand for very old expats?

boomerexpat

What happens to the expats in Thailand when they are very old and/or frail?

I have seen a lot of expats who are up into their mid- 70's but can't remember seeing any who are old, old. On average people after 75 start having health problems. Most expats I know of, especially women, feel they are going to be healthy until at least 100 by eating right. Maybe but shit has a way of happening and few after 90 especially are free of major problems.

The Thais, like people in almost all developing countries, usually have family to take care of them and help them out or, if more affluent, servants to do so.

What about the expats? Many don't have family or a lot of money. Any idea what life is like for them, if they don't have a loving family in Thailand, and where they live? Especially if one has a walker or has had a stroke, how do they even get around? I can't remember ever seeing it. Does their liver just give out before then?

Edited by boomerexpat

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you say out and about, were is this,

in our village there is 5 generations with my wifes family,

our daughters, my wife, her mum, grandmother, and great grandmother, great grandmother is 101 still gets about on her own, eye sight going now but she can still understand everything that is going on around her

maybe wont see this in the tourist spots, but in the sticks there are many old folk

23 minutes ago, boomerexpat said:

I imagine there are old Thais in the villages but that wasn't my question. 

I lived in Bangkok and spent time in Chiang Mai and Phuket. As I mentioned, I can't remember seeing any very old expats.

I never look for them....:coffee1:

26 minutes ago, boomerexpat said:

I imagine there are old Thais in the villages but that wasn't my question. 

I lived in Bangkok and spent time in Chiang Mai and Phuket. As I mentioned, I can't remember seeing any very old expats.

Thai families take care of their own, and that would include a farang who has lived among them for many years as a husband and father.

Family means everything here.

Your position in the family defines who you are.

Without one you are nobody... farang tao-nahn eng.

Just now, boomerexpat said:

'What about the expats without families? Do most end up marrying Thais? I encountered a lot in Bangkok and Chiang Mai who didn't.

In Chiang Mai the aged expats without families can get some help from the CEC and Lanna Care Net.

41 minutes ago, JingerBen said:

In Chiang Mai the aged expats without families can get some help from the CEC and Lanna Care Net.

Funny peculiar,  in CM at mo and saw two I would say are quite old expats,  I didn't enquire to there situation but they looked in a sorry state.

Personally without a caring Thai family I wouldn't stay in Thailand.

17 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That is what I was wondering about. In developing countries family is the safety net  and assisted living support  aids. Family help seems especially important given the lack of handicapped accessible places, bad sidewalks, aggressive drivers and lack of good 911. Not sure if something like Lanna Care can compensate for that but it looks helpful.

Edited by boomerexpat

It's a fair point and it's one I gave serious thought to, personally I'm keeping a house in the UK and will only ever spend 6months a year in Thailand so if I ever get to the point of needing a high level of medical care, I still have the NHS. Of course this does leave me exposed to UK taxes but it's a price I'm prepared to pay for security 

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Funny peculiar,  in CM at mo and saw two I would say are quite old expats,  I didn't enquire to there situation but they looked in a sorry state.

Like a few of us old expats in Chiang Mai, we've fallen off the footpaths/sidewalks, as there's never enough money for repairs. Hence the sorry state.

Those who can't walk fast have a battle on the zebra crossings, as unlike BKK, few drivers give way.  

So best to stay in the condo/house or fly south for a nice beach.

But I also know one guy in his 90s, and he goes to the gym most mornings.

There are old age homes and assisted living homes for reasonable prices. I would hope my wife will take care of me but one never knows. As long as you have a plan B, you should be fine. You could be in trouble if you have no guaranteed monthly income.

Before retiring to Thailand I planned for old age as I 

did for retirement.  I have a nice income, guaranteed

for life and enough money not to worry.  I have some

close Thai friends, who I hope will visit when I am alone

or hire a care giver.  Hope to be dead before needing a

caregiver!!  I also have a back up plan to assist some 

Thai friends, make their life better financially , and they

will make sureI have good care until I die.  Time will

tell, as for now I don't dwell on what might happen, I

enjoy every day.   No living realatives in my Home

Country, some friends, but I feel more at home in Thailand.

39 minutes ago, grabitanrun said:

It's a fair point and it's one I gave serious thought to, personally I'm keeping a house in the UK and will only ever spend 6months a year in Thailand so if I ever get to the point of needing a high level of medical care, I still have the NHS. Of course this does leave me exposed to UK taxes but it's a price I'm prepared to pay for security 

If you have informed the UK authorities that you have left the UK (tax purposes etc), check into what you are required to do when moving back BEFORE you are allowed access to their NHS. If the receptionist at your doctors is aware that you have left, she will (is required to) remove you from the doctors patient list.

I'm also ex UK but retired to Spain and have Spanish NHS, am also married to a Thai with a large family who take care of us during our 5 month holiday visit annually.

However, our Centre of Life is Spain and though I am now mid 70's, I can see a time when I would rather not visit Thailand.

Theres a farlang guy in the village fell and broke his hip, the hospital will not operate until he pays 100000 baht, so they took him back to his room where he lays in his bed, has a Thai girlfriend who just spends all his 55.000 baht per mnth pension and leaves him to rot in his bed. He has no medical insurance so is basically finished. Has made me think and I will be returning back to my country before its to late.

received_10155350215613508.jpeg

I too always was curious.  I have my wife but she is not much younger than I am and she always says she might die  before me.  My plan B would be return to the US with my wife and croak there if I became incapacitated. I do have my niece here who will likely inherit the house and she is currently going to medical school so she will always lend a hand.

Of course Plan C is make a nice concoction of something where I just go to sleep and it's done.  

It's such an unknown. I hear people say they want to live to 100.  I laugh. I will be happy with a good very active productive  75 years. Ive seen a good life.

Good question OP.  

I  am helping a 82 years widow, partially disabled, without family in his own country, to find a better life here with just 70,000 Baht retirement income, and he his doing very well...even saving more than half of his income for "luxuries".

Because he is looking in find a female companion, I am also helping him in that mission.

That "adventure" can make a difference. I met my wife online, and I am happily married for 5 years, but I am younger and stronger than him. I posted his profile on a well known dating site, stating exactly his age and situation. Many women on their 50s responded with good possibilities, but surprisingly, many others in their 20s and 30s also did. That may explain why so many elderly expat get in trouble, tented by beauty and age, and not looking on the obvious intentions.

With common sense, and good friends, most very old expat can do very well here, sometimes better than ever, regaining health, hope, and happiness.

Others, without good help and advice, may fell from a balcony.

Edited by BKResort

5 hours ago, boomerexpat said:

'What about the expats without families? Do most end up marrying Thais? I encountered a lot in Bangkok and Chiang Mai who didn't.

I knew one man in poor health....If not housebound very close to it.....

He hired a live in nurse to care for him.....

It was not unusual for some of the nurses friends to stop by & visit.....Make birthdays & holidays important to the man fun....The Thai's are uniquely special that way....Filipinos too....

He has no one....But they didn't let him feel that way.....

It's not a lot of fun, I have to use a frame around the house and a tripod stick for outings. If I'm lucky I get taken shopping every 8 to 10 days. 

I live alone, haven't been upstairs for about 2 years, I have my television, I cook or sit outside and watch the world go by. Things like my shower and bedroom have been modified for my requirements. 

For your information I had two strokes then a hip replacement op with complications. No reason to go back to the UK, this is my home.

48 minutes ago, laislica said:

If you have informed the UK authorities that you have left the UK (tax purposes etc), check into what you are required to do when moving back BEFORE you are allowed access to their NHS. If the receptionist at your doctors is aware that you have left, she will (is required to) remove you from the doctors patient list.

I'm also ex UK but retired to Spain and have Spanish NHS, am also married to a Thai with a large family who take care of us during our 5 month holiday visit annually.

However, our Centre of Life is Spain and though I am now mid 70's, I can see a time when I would rather not visit Thailand.

If moving back to the UK to settle, then you have immediate access to the NHS.

A British citizen who resumes settled residence in the UK is immediately entitled to free NHS care. It is only if a British citizen resides only overseas and is visiting the UK that they may be charged.

I'm 69 and I'm fit and well. Go for 6K walk every morning. Go on the Pattaya Hash House Harriers every Monday. 

But if in the years to come I get ill and have mobility issues I don't think I'd want to remain longer in Thailand. I own an apartment in Australia and I'd get pensioner health care in Australia. I think I'd say the party's over and spend my twilight years in Australia. 

9 minutes ago, HHTel said:

If moving back to the UK to settle, then you have immediate access to the NHS.

For emergencies, yes of course.

However, this facts sheet might be useful....

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS25_Returning_from_abroad_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true

6 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Come back and say that when you are 74.....

True KB.  I guess what I meant was. If I go to 75 and it's productive and I am not a burden then all good. Everything after is pure bonus.

But to the OPs question I do not see many elderly expats around.  Might be they can't or don't get out much anymore or at some juncture they moved back to their home country.  

Off subject a bit.  I have a very specific will in place. There will be none of that "try and prolong my life" stuff at any level.  As I said. I have lived a great blessed life up to now. But I do understand that people look at things very differently on life. May you live as long as you want.  

Cheers

Plan! Plan! Plan! I'm 61 and have no family left. When I moved to Thailand it was with the expectation that it would be for the rest of my life. I have a good pension and health insurance.

I live in Chiang Mai. I have a dear friend who over the years of my visiting became a brother to me. He moved from Bangkok to live with me and he and his family have been looking after me. This is not a plan that many can duplicate, but you must put a support group together. Health professionals, care givers, hospice. Have the resources ready for when you need them

Most importantly, living in Thailand without health insurance is a fools game.